• ...and so much more!
  • AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Officials: US report finds racial bias in Ferguson police

The US governments own crime statistics state that African Americans (19% of the total population) are responsible for 57% of the murders that occur in the USA. 99% of their victims are black themselves. 19% of the population is responsible for over half of the murders in this nation. Isn't it possible the reason they are targeted disproportionately compared to population percentages has something to do with the way they act, and not some racially biased system of injustice?

Apparently, black lives only matter when it wasn't taken by the hands of another black person....

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I mean, I would imagine that bias would more or less exist pretty much anywhere due to knowledge of the crime statistic facts that the FBI release. I don't think being biased based on facts is inherently wrong. If I were to go fishing I'd be biased to cast my rod in the pond that has been statistically proven to get the most bites.

The issue is racebaiters equate bias and racism as the same thing. It's not. To change the bias you must change the statistics that support the bias. Better education, better employment and other things would help curve that in favor of that population.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Officials: US report finds racial bias in Ferguson police

The US governments own crime statistics state that African Americans (19% of the total population) are responsible for 57% of the murders that occur in the USA. 99% of their victims are black themselves. 19% of the population is responsible for over half of the murders in this nation. Isn't it possible the reason they are targeted disproportionately compared to population percentages has something to do with the way they act, and not some racially biased system of injustice?

Apparently, black lives only matter when it wasn't taken by the hands of another black person....

It doesn't make a difference what the breakdown in crimes coast to coast is. You look at your local patterns and you police from there. And that still requires that you follow the law and respect people's rights. And your figures are off.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

justice department is going to tie law enforcements hands in these communities and then they'll wonder why crime rates go through the roof...

You can nit pick over a few percentage points dependent upon whose crime stats are used if you want. That doesn't change the fact there is a disparity of crime based upon race. That has nothing to do with criminal profiling and everything to do with going after those that commit crime.

Is arresting people for crimes by police a violation of law? That isn't what the justice dept has accused here. They just do not like the bias of how many arrests are made in percentages of blacks to whites. This will all be fine if they either arrest more whites, or let more black people go free. 60% of the population of Ferguson is black, it would make sense that they would make up the majority of the arrests. Given the actions of the citizenry of Ferguson rioting and burning the city in the wake of all of this, the justice dept stats don't seem biased... they seem indicative of a populace with no regard for the rule of law.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data Table 6

justice department is going to tie law enforcements hands in these communities and then they'll wonder why crime rates go through the roof...

You can nit pick over a few percentage points dependent upon whose crime stats are used if you want. That doesn't change the fact there is a disparity of crime based upon race. That has nothing to do with criminal profiling and everything to do with going after those that commit crime.

Is arresting people for crimes by police a violation of law? That isn't what the justice dept has accused here. They just do not like the bias of how many arrests are made in percentages of blacks to whites. This will all be fine if they either arrest more whites, or let more black people go free. 60% of the population of Ferguson is black, it would make sense that they would make up the majority of the arrests. Given the actions of the citizenry of Ferguson rioting and burning the city in the wake of all of this, the justice dept stats don't seem biased... they seem indicative of a populace with no regard for the rule of law.

So what if there's a disparity in crime based on race? That still doesn't given a free pass to pull people over without a legal reason, search them without a legal reason, or dismiss non-black cases at a much higher rate for the same crimes.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    So what if there's a disparity in crime based on race? That still doesn't given a free pass to pull people over without a legal reason, search them without a legal reason, or dismiss non-black cases at a much higher rate for the same crimes.

But that is precisely what the police do... not just to black people but to people in general. In Ferguson it just so happens the majority of the citizens are black and the highest crimes areas are predominantly black in ethnic make up. Does that equate a racial bias, or just more of the same tactics utilized by law enforcement as a whole nationwide?

Now if you want to argue these tactics are unlawful and should not be permitted... great.. but dragging a racial disparity into the mix when statistics indicate a genuine need for law enforcement within these communities? That's exactly the mentality that's kept Sharpton and Jackson financially comfortable for years.. the exploitation of their own people for profit.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know, according to the Huffington Post this is no where near the truth...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I'm with Kut here. The law must be be blind to race. It doesn't matter if it is six 19 year old black men in the car or four 60 year old white women. The law has to be just and everyone must receive equal protection from unreasonable searches.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Shocked! Total disbelief! I can't believe a fine police force like the one in Ferguson would be guilty of racism, corruption and basically being a total POS force.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    This raises an age-old question: Can you PROVE something by analyzing statistics about something else?

There is no way that anyone has discovered to measure racial bias directly. No blood test or urine test shows this. So all we can do is look at something else and try to make a causal connection. That's the BIG deficiency in this report. They have found that statistically blacks in Ferguson are arrested, charged, etc. by police but does that prove racial bias?

The mass media just reports this as factual, there is a statistic and so we know there is bias. Most people go along with that idea since we all know statistics don't lie, right? Apart from fudged statistics, such as those "proving" global warming, statistics just are. But they don't prove anything. They MIGHT show a relationship but then again, they don't necessarily prove that one thing caused another.

If blacks make up 25% of the population but make up 80% of the arrests, does that prove the police are racially biased? Al Sharpton says YES, but Eric Holder's DOJ couldn't gather enough to even make an indictment against Officer Wilson or the Ferguson PD. Any I am 100% sure that Mr. Holder would have moved on this if there was ANY evidence at all. But does that prove bias? In other words, does racial bias CAUSE 80% of the arrests to be of blacks where we'd expect the figure to be closer to the 25%. No, there is no causality that can be proved here regardless of how much Mr. Sharpton wants there to be. Most likely there is ANOTHER CAUSE that is so far unstated that is causing so many blacks to be arrested in Ferguson.

Another figure is that of the arrests, an overwhelming majority are men. Does that mean that Ferguson PD, which is dominated by men, is sexually biased againt MEN? Nobody is suggesting that even though the stats are even stronger in this case. Why? We know from other studies that men commit violent crimes much more often than women, therefore there is a reasonable belief that criminal behavior CAUSES arrest. So those who behave like criminals would be expected to be arrested at a HIGHER rate than those who do not behave criminally.

Hmmmm, could there be a connection between BLACKS in Ferguson, and criminal behavior, and arrests? Well, we don't really want to go there do we? It might lead to some goofy white-conservative-hater idea that people should be responsible for their own behavior. Nope, we can't have that. It must then be racial bias.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In my opinion, the findings did not prove anything. No body has even suggested that the people who were pulled over were doing nothing wrong. No one can prove that people arrested for commiting crimes were just "walking along minding their own business". The proportion of people that were in fights with the police does not prove anything. Almost all of that depends on the persons.

I am not the only one here that got pulled over by the police, repeatedly. Every young man with a lead foot and a loud car got "hassled by the man". We were in fact speeding, smoking the tires, driving wrecklessly, disturbing the peace, etc. When the tickets got to be more money than you had, and you failed to appear in court, they would come get you. The raw stats could suggest something untrue. Stats are useless if they are not interpreted with some wisdom. (something that is lacking the media)
    If you bounce the stats against the general population, a fools interpretation would be that the police are motivated against teanage drivers. You could say, look at the stats, cops only wrote speeding tickets to 12% of the middle aged population and 88% to the young male drivers.
    Big deal. I was doing the crime.

You got any idea why the the majority of the population is not suffering violence at the hands of cops? The majority is generally doing what is right and not disrespecting other citizens, other peoples property, law enforcement, etc.

I know that some will attack me with a .003% where a cop was off his rocker and went sociopath behind the badge. That needs to be dealt with, and severely. The fact that the sector of the population which refuses to be self disciplined and accept the responsibility for their actions has more negative experiences with law enforcement does not prove a siingle thing.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yeah, like I would believe anything out of a Justice Department Civil Rights Division that couldn't find a violation in Black Panthers intimidating voters (on video) in Philadelphia, or a precinct officer in Ohio who admittedly voting multiple times in the 2012 Presidential Election.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The DOJ does not have any credibility under the present administration. Everyone knew that the DOJ was going to find something to blame in Ferguson Mo. Sure glad I don't work there. That is a PD that will soon be yuppified and have ranks filled with personal hired on their race alone. When the DOJ is done with that place it will be a crime ridden ghost town.

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    In my opinion, the findings did not prove anything. No body has even suggested that the people who were pulled over were doing nothing wrong. No one can prove that people arrested for commiting crimes were just "walking along minding their own business". The proportion of people that were in fights with the police does not prove anything. Almost all of that depends on the persons.

I am not the only one here that got pulled over by the police, repeatedly. Every young man with a lead foot and a loud car got "hassled by the man". We were in fact speeding, smoking the tires, driving wrecklessly, disturbing the peace, etc. When the tickets got to be more money than you had, and you failed to appear in court, they would come get you. The raw stats could suggest something untrue. Stats are useless if they are not interpreted with some wisdom. (something that is lacking the media)
    If you bounce the stats against the general population, a fools interpretation would be that the police are motivated against teanage drivers. You could say, look at the stats, cops only wrote speeding tickets to 12% of the middle aged population and 88% to the young male drivers.
    Big deal. I was doing the crime.

You got any idea why the the majority of the population is not suffering violence at the hands of cops? The majority is generally doing what is right and not disrespecting other citizens, other peoples property, law enforcement, etc.

I know that some will attack me with a .003% where a cop was off his rocker and went sociopath behind the badge. That needs to be dealt with, and severely. The fact that the sector of the population which refuses to be self disciplined and accept the responsibility for their actions has more negative experiences with law enforcement does not prove a siingle thing.

I couldn't agree more, and my experiences were the same as yours. Its amazing how many people are flying off their rockers that the police were "pulling people over or questioning them for no reason other than skin color." Any one with half a brain should be able to figure out that a city where over 2/3's of the population is one race would see that race most represented in the audit.

I wonder what the break down would look like on gang related violence and repeat offenders? i would venture a bet that if that statistic was shown, it would be a black eye for the DOJ trying to fan the race flames.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Lots of whining in here over that report. Funny how everyone accepts the DOJ's report on Wilson, but in the same breath deny their report on FPD practices. Apparently all these black people that were arrested, which I would assume is documented, for a variety of iffy crimes, like failure to identify, and bleeding on uniforms, and illegal assembly had their narratives doctored by the DOJ.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seems like there are more gangsters wearing blue, in Ferguson, than anywhere else in the city.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I'm with Kut here. The law must be be blind to race. It doesn't matter if it is six 19 year old black men in the car or four 60 year old white women. The law has to be just and everyone must receive equal protection from unreasonable searches.

But what if it isn't truly targeting based upon race. What if it is high crime areas which are predominantly black, that require more police presence, which results in more black arrests? Is that evidence of racial prejudice or good policing? Should the non-criminal members of these communities suffer because Eric Holder and his circle jerk feel Tyrone and Laquisha aren't being treated fairly? This is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. We have the supreme law enforcement officer in the country making excuses for criminals and nobody seems to understand it is Eric Holder's racial bias that is shining through and not the officers.

Top Bottom