US Corps of Engineers wants comments on regulation of firearms on USACE projects

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So far 256 public comments are registered. Skimming through, [STRIKE]255[/STRIKE] 253 for change, [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] three against.

I just saw the one. Basically “I feel better not having guns around, but the whackos will get their way”. Or something similar. What where the other 2? Curious what the argument against looks like.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I submitted my comments. We need more. I challenge anyone reading this not to sit by and let others do the work. While I wrote quite a bit, it only took a few minutes to send the email. It doesn't really require more than "I support rescending the ACOE restrictions on the 2nd Amendment right to carry a firearm on public US ACOE property." That's all it takes. For those who do not use our lakes and ACOE properties, you already know there is a continual fight to restrict your rights, and if this stands, it will be justification to restrict them at other public properties that you do use. Reversing this would make it much harder to restrict those rights at national parks and other properties.

Get off your ass and take a minute to do this. Surely most of us have at least a couple minutes of time on our hands as we wait out the deadly beer virus. We should see many more comments than 250 on there, just from INGO. Beyond the comments, it would be a public service to spread the word on other firearms related forums, as well.

Thank you.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Don't forget to put COE-2018-0008 in the subject line. I had to re-send my comments because I forgot to do that. The robotic bureaucrat who processes it will likely junk your comment due to technical rules, so if you aren't sure, just go to your sent mail, pull it up, cut and paste what you wrote into a new one, and put that in the subject line. The worst thing that could happen is they count your comments twice!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=COE-2018-0008-0089

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=COE-2018-0008-0105

Count is up to 587 comments today, I haven't had time to spin through them and see the +/-.

Alamo, thanks for posting the update.

I went through the first couple of pages, and noted the vast majority (at least on those pages) were supportive of the rule amendment.

However, many of them were obviously a cut and paste of the same verbiage. I don't know about the CoE, but I've worked with legislators at the state level who would immediately discount the impact of obviously copied form letters.

Personalize the response, and keep it short and to the point would be my recommendation. A 3,500 word constitutional treatise from us members of the public will not make the position stronger. A few cogent, polite sentences will get the point across. Sometimes less is more.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Alamo, thanks for posting the update.

I went through the first couple of pages, and noted the vast majority (at least on those pages) were supportive of the rule amendment.

However, many of them were obviously a cut and paste of the same verbiage. I don't know about the CoE, but I've worked with legislators at the state level who would immediately discount the impact of obviously copied form letters.

Personalize the response, and keep it short and to the point would be my recommendation. A 3,500 word constitutional treatise from us members of the public will not make the position stronger. A few cogent, polite sentences will get the point across. Sometimes less is more.

I borrowed part of Principal Skinr's wording and added an extra sentence:

"I support rescinding the ACOE restrictions on the 2nd Amendment right to carry a firearm on public US ACOE property. Every American citizen should have the right to defend themselves and their loved ones while enjoying the outdoors."

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Nearly 3,000 comments. I flipped through a few pages, vast majority are in support of amending the rules to permit carry. Actually I didn't see any against, but I only skimmed a few pages. Most of them are cut and paste comments, but still to the positive.

If you haven't weighed in, do so. Deadline is June 12 (IIRC), but the sooner the better.

You can view the proposed rule here: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=COE-2018-0008-0001

You can comment by sending an email with the docket number COE-2018-0008 in the subject line to Firearms@usace.army.mil

or

go to http://www.regulations.gov, put the docket number (COE-2018-0008) in the search bar and hit enter, and then look for the "Comment Now!" button on the right side of the screen.

If you haven't commented already, get thee hence.

Top Bottom