• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Id like to get into small time farming; but I have nothing outside of 465.
    Can I raise geese/ducks, rabbits and possibly a goat or two. Do I need special/costly permits or would I simply be prohibited on the goats or all 3 (I suspect rabbits wouldn't be an issue).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Geese, ducks, rabbits in themselves are fine. Or at least I assume so since chickens are not prohibited. Your only risk is violation of the noise ordinances or health code violations. You should probably also smooth things over with any neighbors if necessary.

I do think goats are prohibited as livestock.

THere are no permits required for chickens, so I wouldn't think the other non-prohibited animals would require them.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've seen goats down in Indianapolis, but that was several years ago. The property they were on was isolated by various factors, and I don't know whether they were "pets" or what. The Monon trail goes past there now, so they may draw more attention. Rabbits should be easy, though; they don't make much noise (!), and a hutch can look a lot like a shed, nudge nudge wink wink.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, here are your ordinances:
    Municode

A few excerpts:

Sec. 531-104. - Keeping swine.

It shall be unlawful for a person to keep swine on premises in the consolidated city and county, unless such premises are stockyards, slaughterhouses, or other premises where the keeping or raising of livestock is permitted by county zoning ordinances.

Sec. 531-105. - Keeping horses, ponies, mules, donkeys, jackasses, and llamas.

It shall be unlawful for a person to own, keep, or breed a horse, pony, mule, donkey, jackass, or llama in the consolidated city and county on premises which measure less than eight thousand (8,000) square feet in a lot area per animal, unless such premises are registered as a stable under Chapter 836 of this Code.

That's the only livestock restrict I saw at a glance. Anything else would depend on your zoning.

Top Bottom