• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Picked up a few facts that I have not seen in the press the last few days.

Radiation in some areas of the plant are "so high" it is damaging monitoring equipment or messing with the actual readings.

The reason they are pumping nitrogen in several of the reactors is that they are in various stages of melt down and this is the only way to keep them from blowing up again. The only comment in the press was the nitrogen was to prevent an explosion, they omitted the melt down comments.

Some of the cameras on the robots have been fried from high radiation levels.

For several days, highly radioactive water was pouring directly into the ocean.

20,000 hazards to navigation have been identified in the pacific ocean. They are expecting debris to be washing up on the west coast later this summer. This could range from cars, parts of homes to body parts. This could last for more that two years.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The alert level has been raised to 7. That's the same level as Chernobyl. They're working their butts off, attempting to get it under control, but it doesn't look as if they're having a great deal of luck. This is gonna get real ugly, real soon.

NHK WORLD English

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    everyone stay calm, theres nothing to see here. move along, drink your milk, eat your sushi .......... the japanese have everything under control as always. they would never lie to us again

....them lie?

Look back to my early posts just a few days after the event. They knew they were screwed and the back channels were trying to deal with it. The public side was :rolleyes:. They should have just said it then!

Also, the term I was told about this morning is nuclear stew is brewing in several of the remains of the reactors. That was the best translation from japanese to english I could get.

核のシチュー

I have been trying for days to get any information on real time radiation readings and no one knows.............or just won't say. The press reports on the radiation levels just don't make sense to the scale of the disaster! The drones they are using to fly low level passes to look down on the plant are getting a heavy decon when they land.

If you have been following the news, they are increasing the evacuation zone again by about 8 miles more from the plant.

Moderate to heavy exposures to radiation start to really show up as health issues at about a month after exposure. Depending on the dose absorbed by the workers, a few stories will be leaking out in the next two weeks of sick workers. If they were able to keep the exposures down, the time to serious illness will also be delayed.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    How many other plants are damaged, that we're not hearing about. Could this be the end of Japan?

This site has six reactors. If I recall, there are three other plant locations that were shut down, but they had backups that worked and those plants are stable. Some also might have been restarted after inspections.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    when I say lie, im talking about them being less than forthcoming with all that they knew from the beginning. come on, you cant deny that they attempted to downplay this from day one. if your garage is on fire, id rather have 2 firetrucks show up than just one right? just incase it spreads. they didnt do enough on this from the beginning, and now the whole world will pay

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    A blob of nuclear lava, that over time mixes with the surroundings and then just becomes a hot slag. It won't get too far with this type of plant design, but this could happen to each of the 6 reactors ( 4 are now toast )

So it's not like this "slag" will melt a hole in the earth right ?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    So it's not like this "slag" will melt a hole in the earth right ?

Nope, but it will look real pretty in pictures! Picture a pool of melted, dirty glass that is so radiative it will kill you if you get too close.

If you can keep water away from it and keep it properly shielded, it is not a "big deal"

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Wow, that sounds bad. Where'd you get that info? It seems reports on how severe the situation is are very mixed. In my opinion, Japan is more worried about their image to the rest of the world rather than properly informing everyone what's really going on for the safety of its citizens. Granted, an exclusion buffer so many miles out is in place, but without fully understanding the extent of conditions at the plant, what gives? Being informed is key.

Having been to several nuclear plants here in the US and dealing with radioactive sources everyday for work, Id say I'm fairly knowledgable in radiation exposure. Trust me when I say that this is some dangerous stuff. The meltdown of a nuclear reactor is extremely frightening and can have severe environmental and biological effects. (Without getting into numbers..) Although still above normal public rates and 'comfortable' dose rates for rad workers, the levels at Fukushima aren't nearly as high as Chernobyl's were after their disaster. Chernobyl's reactor and containment walls blew up. Fukushima has had a couple smaller hydrogen explosions, but not to its reactor core. Dose rates have dropped since those explosions, where they were at their peak. There are still breaches in Fukushima's reactors and containment walls, though. Plant workers still have to wear protective suits with dosimitry and be in constant rotation, as to not exceed their yearly dose limit.

I still fear for the Japanese and especially a few friends of mine who live in Tokyo.. The US West coast has nothing to worry about as of now and I hope it stays that way.

That's not to say things won't change and get worse though. In fact, they're pumping nitrogen into the reactor now to prevent another hydrogen explosion. It could very well turn out to be just as bad or worse than Chernobyl.. It isn't over yet. Let's hope for the best.

Top Bottom