• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I did a lengthy interview yesterday with a reporter from the Indianapolis Business Journal. He's doing an article featuring statistics showing that the number of NICS background checks for firearm purchases has doubled since the last presidential election - both in Indiana and nationwide. We talked a lot about the reasons for the increase - both political and otherwise. I think I gave him some angles he hadn't considered before.

Keep an eye out for the article - it should be an interesting read. If you see it on-line before I do, please post a link.

So - why do you think there's been such a dramatic increase in gun sales?

Thanks!

Guy

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think there are a couple factors contributing.

I think there is an underlying fear of the American people that our government is granting themselves too much power and making too many decision which the people don't agree with, BUT nobody is standing up and doing anything about it. That or they simply see it, but don't realize it as maybe it's more of a subconscious thought that hasn't come to the surface yet. On the same sort of "political note" I think fears that Obummer might get put back into office, or some other Anti-constitutional president and so many people are wanting to get what they can now, before some ignorant politician passes another UNconstitutional, anti-gun law.

Also, I think that people are realizing that firearms aren't simply death machines and can be very beneficial if properly trained. They are seeing the fun side to them more with shows like Top Shot and the like. The industry is simply getting a lot more promotion these days and enticing people to learn more, rather than follow the typical biased media outlets. Along with all of that positive "advertisement," I think people are realizing that having a gun for defensive purposes sort of "levels the playing field." With the numbers supporting the fact that criminals are less likely to strike if they know their victims might be armed, I think people starting to grasp this concept and wish to diminish the chances of criminal attack.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mix of reasons:

1. In any down economy collectible items always increase in value. People realize that as the dollar shirks, gold and guns grow.

2. The increase in carry permits.

3. People no longer need to hide the fact that they like guns. Guns are cool again.

4. Many of the things that NICS checks are being run on do not go bang as items such as lowers and suppressors become more popular.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you're getting a NICS check on a lower, I hope you're planning on making it into something that goes "bang" sooner or later. For a suppressor, maybe "bang" isn't the right term. The antis want to try to rationalize that the increase in NICS checks doesn't correlate with an increase in firearms sales, or even that all the sales are going to existing owners rather than first time buyers, and ownership is actually down. Yeah if all the data were outliers, that might happen.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you're getting a NICS check on a lower, I hope you're planning on making it into something that goes "bang" sooner or later. For a suppressor, maybe "bang" isn't the right term. The antis want to try to rationalize that the increase in NICS checks doesn't correlate with an increase in firearms sales, or even that all the sales are going to existing owners rather than first time buyers, and ownership is actually down. Yeah if all the data were outliers, that might happen.

If ALL the data were outliers, they wouldn't be outliers! Sorta like hipsters are now pretty well main-stream, right? :p

I would go with most of the above answers; politically motivated purchases, fear of the end of the world, (thanks Mayans,) and a down economy which spurs an increase in crime, which spurs an increase in civilians arming themselves.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    So - why do you think there's been such a dramatic increase in gun sales?

I can give some examples from what I know. Two relatives wanted something for home protection. One had firearms before, but I think sold them before a move. Both ended up getting LTCH and firearms for home defense. While with these two on a outing to shoot, ran into a woman in her late 30s/early 40s. She had been the victim of a burglary and felt her safety was compromised. She purchased a S&W with a laser grip for piece of mind. Glad to see she was at the range, and said she enjoyed training with her firearm. She just said she feared someone breaking in while she was home.

Recently had another relative talk about the idea of getting a handgun for home defense. Had a .38spl many years ago, but it was stolen during a burglary.

Over the years I have had close friends ask about guns. I know only three that have them, one that carries on a regular basis. Really, the only one I know who was more "into guns" was the one who carries. One had a .380 for many years, carried early on, but don't think he regularly carried in recent years. The third friend got some guns from an estate I believe, they keep them locked up and I'm not sure if they have shot them or not.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Some great answers. I also see a dramatic increase in firearm ownership among women - both in terms of customers at ECPR and students in my Basic Pistol course. Primarily, I think a lot more women feel empowered to own a gun for personal and home defense. I think that's awesome.

Guy

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    I think there are a couple factors contributing.

I think there is an underlying fear of the American people that our government is granting themselves too much power and making too many decision which the people don't agree with, BUT nobody is standing up and doing anything about it. That or they simply see it, but don't realize it as maybe it's more of a subconscious thought that hasn't come to the surface yet. On the same sort of "political note" I think fears that Obummer might get put back into office, or some other Anti-constitutional president and so many people are wanting to get what they can now, before some ignorant politician passes another UNconstitutional, anti-gun law. . .QUOTE]

I agree. IMHO, I think more Americans are fearing their government, their supposed representatives who disconnect from us after serving a couple terms. Government is more intrusive in everyday life, contrary to what the Founders envisioned and set out to prevent with the Bill of Rights.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I wonder what % are first time buyers and what represent repeat buyers? I see different reasoning between them.

For the most part I blame it on fear; fear of an uncertain world heightened by 24/7 news coverage slanted towards the overdramatic headlines and trailers.

Hillbillyblood

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    LaPorte Indiana
    There has been an up-rise in rural break in's locally, a good friend of mine shot a perp in his home. This is the reason for my recent "awareness".
    UPDATE: Shaken LaPorte County resident shoots intruder - wsbt.com

When my children were younger we were very careful to keep things secure, I now am teaching every one in the household how to handle and be responsible with our firearms.

Fear is the ultimate reason for widespread increase, which fear? People have different reasons. No matter the reasons we need to take our county back.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I screwed up this post so I hope the lame one doesn't show up and sound incoherent.

In the past month I've helped my nephew decide on a pistol and guided him through breaking in his new purchase. He just recently received his LTCH and wanted a pistol for "protection."

A month or so before that a former employee who is a retired pipe fitter and just received his LTCH and realtor license called me about advice on a pistol purchase. He wants something to carry when he shows homes and commercial buildings. He is a big time water fowl hunter but has never had a carry piece. I'm taking him to one of my ranges in a couple weeks to shoot some of my hand guns.

And just yesterday a salesman who I've dealt with for many years called about some advice on a long arm and possibly a pistol. He and his wife have their LTCH and he bought her some kind of little .38 spl 5 shot revolver last year. Before they bought I took 3 or 4 pistols and revolvers to their house and gave the pros and cons of each piece. Now since she made the mistake of calling the gun "her pistol" he has the green light to get himself something. I'm taking him to Red Brush next week to shoot 3 or 4 of my Glocks.

In all three cases these guys are feeling real uneasy about the current state of crime in this country, not to mention meth related crime in Evansville. They all knew I have carried for quite a while and consider me the guru of guns I guess. I'm all too happy to let them shoot and give my opinion. For what it's worth I'm not pushing Glocks on them and have told each to look around and make an informed decision.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    I think it is a few things.

1. Fear. All of the crazy protests and stories about people doing desperate things. People are starting to see the writing on the wall. If things don't change we are headed for hard times.

2. There has been a lot of positive things about guns. Whether that is people using them for defense or laws and legal cases that are positive.

3. Obama. People who already own guns and those people who have wanted one for a while. They are buying them in case things go sour and they are hard to get and more expensive.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    It is the culture. Guns are back to the default setting of cool.

Zombies. Seriously. I have more than one friend that wants to go out shooting with me after getting hooked on "Walking Dead". That's one way to defeat the gun control crowd--get them daydreaming about TEOTWAWKI.

Top Bottom