• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a streamlined and user-friendly web-based aircraft registration process for owners of small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms) including payloads such as on-board cameras

Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft. Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors. Owners may use either the paper-based process or the new streamlined, web-based system. Owners using the new streamlined web-based system must be at least 13 years old to register.

Owners may register through a web-based system at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration

Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.

Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.

The normal registration fee is $5, but in an effort to encourage as many people as possible to register quickly, the FAA is waiving this fee for the first 30 days (from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan 20, 2016).

The online registration system does not yet support registration of small UAS used for any purpose other than hobby or recreation – for example, using an unmanned aircraft in connection with a business. The FAA is developing enhancements that will allow such online registrations by spring of 2016.

The full rule can be viewed here: http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

UAS Registration Q&A

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    This stupid registrations scheme will do absolutely nothing - NOTHING - to reduce the risk UAS pose to manned aircraft or property/people on the ground.

I'd much rather the FAA have instituted an operational ban placed on altitudes higher than, say, 300' AGL and within 1nm of an aerodrome, under penalty of stiff civil fine and enforced by software programming in new-model UAS.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, trust the .gov to prevent anyone finding a way to do something stupid. I hope all the ball juggling bureaucrats have aneurysms chasing after peoples' quadcopters with their pissant rules.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have to wonder how this affects some model rocketeers?
    I'm not sure that half a pound, including payloads such as cameras would discount even a basic Estes 'big bertha' type kit...
    Then again, I am no rocket surgeon.

ETA: ok so it's been a while. big bertha is under weight, but wow there are plenty that are overweight

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm rather pissed about this and I don't even own a drone. They also require RC pilots to be registered, which is complete and utter BS.

as for rockets, I don't believe they meet the definition since they aren't controlled flight.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    So, presumably it's punishable to possess the capability of doing something malicious on purpose, while actually doing something malicious under the assumption that you have no control after you hit "launch" leaves you free and clear: "it was an accident, man, I'm sorry that 787 crashed". Lazy damned bureaucrats think laws can prevent crimes and they won't have to put any effort into investigating and punishing the actually guilty. Sounds like gun control to me.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey, no problem. Don't require registration, but allow me to use a 12 gauge on the drones outside my bedroom window or hovering over my teen-age granddaughter while she sun bathes.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    So, what's to prevent someone buying one with cash and registering it to someone they don't like, or just not registering it?

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    Slightly off topic but I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Linus Tech Tips YouTube channel and the podcast they do but they were talking about this and one of them mentioned that in Canada where they are based out of they have a similar gun registry and said how that doesn't even work. So it's nice to know some Canadians know that gun registry doesn't work.

Top Bottom