• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My wife bought me a new griddle for Father's day and I finally have time today to set it up. I'm up on the deck and notice one of the doors to my bbq table isn't closed to I tap it closed with my foot and the sound of bees erupts loud enough that I wasn't asking any questions and I unassed the area so fast I turned around and watched myself kick it and run to where I was standing ( :lmfao:).

When I looked back I only saw a couple of carpenter bees hovering around the table. I crept back up and peeked in and could see them moving through a hole in the wood chips under a drip pan so I grabbed one of my BBQ tools and pulled the pan back and ran again (just in case the females came out hot) and after they calmed back down I snuck up and videoed them for a few seconds. I though carpenter bees only dug single holes but they've apparently got a community style nest going.

I've got no love for the things so recommendations on getting rid of them appreciated. I'd kill them with fire but my since it's under my wooden bbq table sitting on my deck attached to my house I'm going to have to find another option.
    qFVlv22h.mp4

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Those little bitches can DIAF. They do more than bore holes. They go laterally too. For up to 3 feet! The shelterhouse at our church has extensive CB damage. You can see ridiculous damage you didnt think was possible from just a flying fuzzy jelly bean.

But you are correct. I have never seen them do that either. I wonder if its inter-generational or if they are all siblings? Around here, they are always chasing each other off because they are territorial.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Permithrine, same stuff you spray on your hunting and field clothes to keep bugs away. Kills most any bee, wasp, ant, beetle, etc. Liquid will kill cats too so be careful if you have them. Act like a nerve agent, wash hand soon as you are done spraying.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Searched and can’t find it, but I recall seeing a video online several years ago of some guy who removed a wasp nest from a house soffit using just his bare hands. Do it that way!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a customer years ago that used an all natural bee and wasp killer when we were working on his house.
    He said the stuff was 100% nontoxic to humans and pets,and "proved it" by spraying some in his mouth, then spraying the bees.
    The bees stopped moving in mid-air and we're dead before they hit the ground.
    Said it was peppermint oil based, and it smelled like it.
    No, I didn't taste it...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Those are bumble bees, carpenter bees don't make nests like that, but bumble bees do. You are lucky, usually you don't have time to run.
    Definitely. When I remodeled my bathroom I found a nest in the wall insulation. As much as I dislike killing a harmless :runaway: Pollinator, I didn’t have any options at the moment and they had to go. Turns out they were coming in through the hole where my a/c lines go through the wall. Spray foam closed up those gaps.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Definitely. When I remodeled my bathroom I found a nest in the wall insulation. As much as I dislike killing a harmless :runaway: Pollinator, I didn’t have any options at the moment and they had to go. Turns out they were coming in through the hole where my a/c lines go through the wall. Spray foam closed up those gaps.
    Found a huge nest when we pulled out the tile wall behind the tub some years ago. When we pulled the wall down they swarmed us. I and helper got a few stings but we cleared the door and got it closed. A few got out into the house.
    Trip to Ace and came home loaded for bees. Popped 3 aerosol bombs and grenades the bath room.
    Outside we used brake parts cleaner to drop them mid air as they escaped. It took 3 more aerosol grenades to finish them off. The nest was huge.
    They were coming in through a separation in the aluminum siding.

Top Bottom