• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I happened to come across an Armalite AR-10 NM complete lower for a deal I could not refuse. I had been wanting an ar10 for a while but did not expect to get one during the pandemic pricing. I'm not sure what to do for an upper. Should I keep the National Match motif, or go a different direction? Maybe something unique(if such a thing exist in the ar platorm anymore) Hell Should I even keep it a 308? I don't currently own any ar10 platform calibers. I would only go beyond 100 yards once or twice a year. TBH I have no dedicated purpose for an ar-10 yet. It will mostly likely just sit in the safe most of the year.

Just looking for opinions as I have none of my own when it comes to ar10's. The only niche use I could think of that I don't have covered already would be a semi-auto DMR that's not a 5.56...

Attachments

• 20210221_203138.jpg
      20210221_203138.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 13
    • 20210221_203202.jpg
      20210221_203202.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 13

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Be sure that whatever upper you get will fit the lower.

My understanding is that there's not much in the way of an "industry standard" for the AR-10 platform...

Oh, and i'd personally go with 6.5 CM if I had the choice.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    B series. This is seeming to be more involved than just putting together an ar15. Lol
    A little more involved but not much. It will take a few proprietary parts but there's alot of non proprietary parts that can be used also. The upper receiver, bcg, and mags are the main proprietary parts you'll need. You can use a non factory barrel as long as it has the correct Armalite barrel extension. You can use any handguard that has a Armalite compatable barrel nut. Pretty much everything else can be non proprietary.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    A little more involved but not much. It will take a few proprietary parts but there's alot of non proprietary parts that can be used also. The upper receiver, bcg, and mags are the main proprietary parts you'll need. You can use a non factory barrel as long as it has the correct Armalite barrel extension. You can use any handguard that has a Armalite compatable barrel nut. Pretty much everything else can be non proprietary.
    So... the sights and charging handle? Lol

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The lower came complete so I only have to worry about the gas block, tube and muzzle break. I forgot about those. Ha. I might be better off just ordering a complete upper from Armalite. I will post up a wtb first. Maybe I get lucky

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    That would probably be the quickest/easiest thing to do but not as much fun imho but I'm not much of a "stock" kinda guy. Best of luck on your build though.

Poncho53

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Hammond
    I happened to come across an Armalite AR-10 NM complete lower for a deal I could not refuse. I had been wanting an ar10 for a while but did not expect to get one during the pandemic pricing. I'm not sure what to do for an upper. Should I keep the National Match motif, or go a different direction? Maybe something unique(if such a thing exist in the ar platorm anymore) Hell Should I even keep it a 308? I don't currently own any ar10 platform calibers. I would only go beyond 100 yards once or twice a year. TBH I have no dedicated purpose for an ar-10 yet. It will mostly likely just sit in the safe most of the year.

Just looking for opinions as I have none of my own when it comes to ar10's. The only niche use I could think of that I don't have covered already would be a semi-auto DMR that's not a 5.56...
    Saw that at Cabelas's Hammond for $299. Didn't like the fact that it took proprietary Mags. Especially with the availability of the Magpul PMags and the Magpul SR Drum Mags. Good luck with the build though.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Saw that at Cabelas's Hammond for $299. Didn't like the fact that it took proprietary Mags. Especially with the availability of the Magpul PMags and the Magpul SR Drum Mags. Good luck with the build though.
    Yea. That's the one. I didn't like that either, but I was there, and I just made a little extra cash I want expecting doing some electrical work. I couldn't resist. Ill hardly ever use it. So the msg issue isn't as big of a deal to me. I typically end up spending about $2-300 in mags per new gun anyways. That's get me 4or 6 mags. That's plenty for me. Plus they sold me a couple bricks of 22lr @$25/each. As well as let me have my pick of ammo. It was hard to say no.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    Armalite makes quality stuff, the magazines are built like a tank and will out last you. I never had a problem with the Gen 1 mags like some reported but the Gen 2 mags are definitely good to go. If I were you I would try to find an Illinois made Armalite upper with a stainless barrel. Those barrels were cut rifled and can be silly accurate. I burned one of those barrels out and before it started to give up the ghost it was as accurate as my custom bolt gun, I couldn’t believe that barrel. The Arizona made barrels are all button rifled but they are still sub MOA. There are some Gen 2 mags for sale in the EE on that site known for the AR.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Armalite makes quality stuff, the magazines are built like a tank and will out last you. I never had a problem with the Gen 1 mags like some reported but the Gen 2 mags are definitely good to go. If I were you I would try to find an Illinois made Armalite upper with a stainless barrel. Those barrels were cut rifled and can be silly accurate. I burned one of those barrels out and before it started to give up the ghost it was as accurate as my custom bolt gun, I couldn’t believe that barrel. The Arizona made barrels are all button rifled but they are still sub MOA. There are some Gen 2 mags for sale in the EE on that sight known for the AR.
    awesome! thanks for the info. It's up on the trading block as I have several projects pop up. I am letting fate decide which projects come through. I will look into the uppers. They are a bit pricey for me at the time without a trade being involved. Thus the wtb, wtt,wts ads

Top Bottom