• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My uncle passed away a couple years ago and my aunt found several of his guns (He was a Navy JAG) and has offered them to me. Do I need an FFL xfer or can I just go to Cinci and get them?

I'm sure this Q has been asked, but not sure how/what to search for.

I think one is his service issued 1911, and there is an old Beretta 1934 with original packaging and goodies.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If she were to mail them to you you'd need to go through an FFL. If you drive over and a family member gives them to you and you are a legal person...who can travel with weapons you now own...why ask why? IANAL, just another American. Now, if some of them are Class III weapons don't ask me...

Or, if she ever comes to visit there's nothing stopping her from bringing them and giving them to you then. Legal guns held by legal person A, moments later legal guns held by legal person B. Everyone have a nice day. It's not like you have to register them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    To be 100% legal, they need to go through an FFL.

Handguns need to go through an FFL in your home state. The long guns through an FFL in either state.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    You done did it now. You posted about the subject, and now there's a record. You should have kept it to yourself and just drove over and picked them up. Now you've got to ship them to an ffl.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You done did it now. You posted about the subject, and now there's a record. You should have kept it to yourself and just drove over and picked them up. Now you've got to ship them to an ffl.

What guns are you talking about? Wasn't this a hypothetical question?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well, if you were planning to visit your aunt anyway and you came home with more than you brought. I was down in FL visiting my grandma (who has since passed) and she gave me my deceased grandpa's .22 that he had when he was a kid. I took it home with me when I left. This was quite some time ago but an FFL never crossed my mind. If you are concerned about getting in trouble (very unlikely) then have your aunt ship them to an FFL (kind of a PIA on her end if she has never shipped a firearm), otherwise, family business stays in the family....

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Well, if you were planning to visit your aunt anyway and you came home with more than you brought. I was down in FL visiting my grandma (who has since passed) and she gave me my deceased grandpa's .22 that he had when he was a kid. I took it home with me when I left. This was quite some time ago but an FFL never crossed my mind. If you are concerned about getting in trouble (very unlikely) then have your aunt ship them to an FFL (kind of a PIA on her end if she has never shipped a firearm), otherwise, family business stays in the family....

One potential "trouble" spot I can see is if there is another relative who would like to have the guns and he/she gets jealous. They could cause quite a mess if they decided to expose the situation. Families have done stranger things than that.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Could be wrong but a gift or inheritance is not a transfer. Firearms gifted from a different state legally you would have to find out what the other states law.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Great point. There goes a couple untraceable guns.

Well, until well after the next Krystal Nacht I think a post about someone who may or may not have gotten a firearm is going to be way down the list of targets...but then again you're a member here so that's probably going to get you highlighted first.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Well, until well after the next Krystal Nacht I think a post about someone who may or may not have gotten a firearm is going to be way down the list of targets...but then again you're a member here so that's probably going to get you highlighted first.

:tinfoil:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    One potential "trouble" spot I can see is if there is another relative who would like to have the guns and he/she gets jealous. They could cause quite a mess if they decided to expose the situation. Families have done stranger things than that.
    We are over thinking it I believe. The potential of getting into trouble with any of this is VERY VERY remote. If you are getting a gun or 2, no class 3 or the like, do what works for your family and move on.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    We are over thinking it I believe. The potential of getting into trouble with any of this is VERY VERY remote. If you are getting a gun or 2, no class 3 or the like, do what works for your family and move on.

If you've never had a relative like that, you should consider yourself VERY lucky.

Top Bottom