Ultra X300u Streamlight clone review/ initial impressions, holster compatability

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Ultra X300u Surefire clone review/ initial impressions, holster compatability

Quick intro and philosophy of use: I picked this up with the idea of using the Blackhawk Omnivore holster for range use without switching holsters. I like the features of the holster, esp the no-snap button retention system but rather a push down thumb button. Like most holsters designed for use with lights, its either a Surefire or a Streamlight specific. Having recently purchased a Sig p320 full sized to replace the EAA Witness as my primary home defense pistol, I decided to commit to it and get a good light for it for nightstand duty.
    Having never really seriously looked into lights for pistols (previously a shotgun w/ cheap mounted flashlight guy), I'm sure you can imagine my reaction to the cost. I decided to buy an Ebay knockoff first with the idea of using it on the Witness and my other railed pistols if I liked it. I figured for the price and intended use, it was worth it as it can be swapped onto most pistols with an accessory rail, and I could therefore mount a real Surefire on the p320 if I was happy with it and use the knockoff for the rest. Still, I went ahead and committed and bought kydex holster for p320 w/a proper Surefire x300u in mind.

I was sort of right so far, but as you might expect there are some drawbacks.

The Product:
    Ultra X300U (unknown company) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-X300...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The good:
    -$40, roughly 1/6th the cost of a Surefire x300u.
    -Arrived in under two weeks from a US seller.
    -The light mounts easily with a spring powered retention plate. It stayed on during a vigorous shake test, mild impact test (slaps to the side, front, and bottom), and draw/ reholster tests. The light stayed in place.

-It is bright. I have no way of knowing if its really 500 lumens, but it is bright enough to hurt the eyes a bit if you shine it on a nearby white surface. Pretty happy with this for a $40 knockoff.

-It fits the kydex holster I bought for the p320 with good positive retention, no pistol wobble in holster, and only a slight bit of drag on the draw. So far, so good, and I'm pretty confident it'll work with the Omnivore holster.

-Controls are easy and function with both an easily depressed push function for a quick illumination or an ambidextrous switch for on/off. This is nice if you use a thumbs forward grip as the controls are such that you can keep your trigger finger free and still reach the controls with your opposite hand thumb.

The bad:
    -Well, you definitely aren't getting as much brightness with this as a real Surefire x300u, which is to be expected.

-When drawing from the kydex holster, the battery plate button depresses and opens the battery housing. At first, I thought that was that for this. Turns out, they didn't include a battery door locking pin. Not sure of the exact dimensions, but I filed down a brad nail and it fits well and I have not had the problem again. I doubt this will be an issue with the omnivore as the pistol free-floats with the retention being on the light itself. Not sure if the fine people in Mainland Taiwan missed this or if its just not installed. There is a hole for it, so at least you have the option of a fix.

-Batteries not included.

- It slides back and forth on the rail of the p320, but is rock-solid on the Witness. I know this is an issue with Surefire x300u as well, but I was surprised just how much back and forth motion there is to this light once mounted. For those desiring a really tight lockup, this will leave a lot to be desired. Also being a knockoff, I'm not sure the Surefire mounting kits to fix the issue will work, so it'll have to wait until I get the real thing to test them out. For now its layered tape on the front of the trigger guard, I suppose.

-Very difficult to get good reviews as this light is probably one of several "brands,", so its damned near impossible to know if the reviewer is talking about this particular Surefire clone or not.

Conclusion: Assuming it doesn't break after a couple hundred of rounds (to be determined) and you are in the market for a very affordable light to put on your pistol, you could definitely do worse. For those on a budget who want to have a nightstand pistol with a light and/or something other than a universal nylon holster, this will seemingly fit the bill. For those with a Surefire x300u, this seems to be an acceptable stand in for training, secondary pistols, etc with the controls in the right place for muscle memory while keeping your primary, more expensive light safe. The lack of a hinge pin is unforgivable, but thankfully the light at least has the hole drilled so its an easy fix.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I appreciate the review and hope it works out for you. That said, Chinese knock off stuff that is deliberately built to mirror the real thing, and then branded as such, DRIVES ME NUTS. It wouldn't be as bad if they made it look the same, but for love of god, don't print Surefire on the side. That's not only illegal, but pretty unethical. That country has turned into a giant copy machine.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I appreciate the review and hope it works out for you. That said, Chinese knock off stuff that is deliberately built to mirror the real thing, and then branded as such, DRIVES ME NUTS. It wouldn't be as bad if they made it look the same, but for love of god, don't print Surefire on the side. That's not only illegal, but pretty unethical. That country has turned into a giant copy machine.
    I thought theft was ok as long as it was a good deal?

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I didn't realize until it arrived that it wasn't just your typical airsoft quality "clone" with the same dimensions, but rather a full-on forgery when I saw the Surefire logo on the side. Not the greatest excuse in the world, I know. Hopefully the description will be enough for a person checking out an "unbelievable" price for a real Surefire to identify the falsely labeled product, if nothing else. At least this seller didn't present it as such. Still, would rather it just left the logo off completely as you mentioned. Pretty shady stuff.
    For a quick update, it survived the first range trip (nothing much in these trying times, just 85 rounds).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I didn't realize until it arrived that it wasn't just your typical airsoft quality "clone" with the same dimensions, but rather a full-on forgery when I saw the Surefire logo on the side. Not the greatest excuse in the world, I know. Hopefully the description will be enough for a person checking out an "unbelievable" price for a real Surefire to identify the falsely labeled product, if nothing else. At least this seller didn't present it as such. Still, would rather it just left the logo off completely as you mentioned. Pretty shady stuff.
    For a quick update, it survived the first range trip (nothing much in these trying times, just 85 rounds).
    I mean, the description is a copy and paste direct from SF’s product description page of the X300?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I wonder how many of these will show up in the INGO classifieds on either a gun or just the light. Some poor guy who doesn't know any better might get taken. I mean that would never happen on here, right??

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I wonder how many of these will show up in the INGO classifieds on either a gun or just the light. Some poor guy who doesn't know any better might get taken. I mean that would never happen on here, right??

Im thinking about starting a new profile and hitting my 51 posts to start selling overpriced crap on here. Might as well do the knock offs while I’m here.

Top Bottom