• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    My computer has started completely freezing. After i cut power and reboot, I sometimes get an error message stating:
    failed to load image '/usr/share/gdm/themes/HumanList/background.png' fatal error in PNG image file: IDAT: CRC error

Other times, I can select my kernel at bash, but before the login splash, I get a message stating
    Starting up . . .
    [14.825735] crc error
    [14.826647] Kernel panic - not syncing: UFS: Unable to mount roof fs on unknown-block (0,0)

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    Any ideas or help?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'm no guru, but I kinda have a feeling that you may have a hardware error developing. Maybe HDD is going..

Do you have backups of everything important??

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That sounds like either a hard drive, or memory problem.

Boot your Ubuntu CD before you go to bed tonight, and run Memtest86 from the boot menu to confirm the memory is good/bad

It'll take a few hours.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm no guru, but I kinda have a feeling that you may have a hardware error developing. Maybe HDD is going..

Do you have backups of everything important??

I don't keep anything important on here. Too easy for laptops to disappear. I was thinking the HDD might be on it's last legs too, but I hope not. I did manage to get it to run e2fsck and it checked out.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    That sounds like either a hard drive, or memory problem.

Boot your Ubuntu CD before you go to bed tonight, and run Memtest86 from the boot menu to confirm the memory is good/bad

It'll take a few hours.

Thanks, I tried running memtest from bash on friday, but the computer crashed and shut off well before it was done. Should I run from bash or from the liveCD?

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I should add that I am using the trouble computer right now. It booted no problem after a weekend away

EDIT: that was short-lived. I am posting from my phone now.

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    With a crc error I'm inclined to think hard drive, but memory test is a good idea. If you want to remove any possibility of error you can run memtest from a cd as a standalone booting setup, which should remove the hard drive from the equation..

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    With a crc error I'm inclined to think hard drive, but memory test is a good idea. If you want to remove any possibility of error you can run memtest from a cd as a standalone booting setup, which should remove the hard drive from the equation..

Thanks. I will give it a shot. The most recent liveCD I have is 6.10. Should I get on another computer and get a more recent release, or will it not matter?

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Well, I think it may be FUBAR. I try running memtest from my 6.10 liveCD, but I can't get through a whole test. My computer shut off at about 35% through the test the first time and about 20% the second time.

I tried booting the liveCD with no luck. Crc error, system halted.

Any new ideas?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    that was my next thought as well. If it's shutting down while running, that might be the thermal protection kicking in......

How old is the laptop? Can you confirm the CPU fan is spinning?

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    No error messages, just shut clean off?? Could be power or thermal issues..

No error messages, just shut off. I have it plugged into the wall and all appropriate lights are lit, so I am not sure it is power. Could be heat. I fell asleep with it in my lap Thursday night. I woke up with it resting on a blanket between my knees. Is there something to be fixed if it is heat, or is it busted?

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    What does it mean if memtest finds errors? I am 76% through the test now. Part of my problem was that part of the heat exchanger in the fan was blocked. I cleaned it and can stay running now.

UPDATE: memtest had unexpected interruption and halted 100% through test 7, which is 78% complete. Before halting, it turned up 1,933,312 errors. I am guessing that is very very bad.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom