• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    In terms of pensions, if unions gave a flying **** about that or their future members they'd stop making deals like bumping current union members pension in return for no pensions for new hires. I'm not saying that's the grift with the current situation. Unions have done **** like that in the past.

Voting to **** your future coworker so you can have more now. Maybe union bosses go along with it so that they can grift new hires into paying higher union dues so that they can say they're fighting for the thing they agreed to end. Unions kinda have their place but they've become a giant grift machine sucking dues from workers.
    Not all Unions give bumps to the retiree's. The IUEC doesn't. My check will always be the same unless taxes change, or my part B or D change.
    When I took my first retirement check, I locked in on what the dollar amount was at the time my last week working. Every 1,700 hundred hours worked, we earn a pension credit. If one goes out now each credit is worth I believe over $125.00 a month per credit.
    For a kid fresh out of HS getting in the Elevator Union will give him or her great bennies and 50% of $55.00 an hour for 6 months and getting a yearly bump and continuing to going up each year until they test out as a Mechanic.

There are still some great Trade Unions out there.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    "Adjusting for inflation, autoworkers have seen their average wages fall 19.3% since 2008, according to Adam Hersh, senior economist at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. That's because autoworker "concessions made following the 2008 auto industry crisis were never reinstated," Hersh said in a recent blog post, "including a suspension of cost-of-living adjustments." "

This is what the profit sharing checks adjust for.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    "Adjusting for inflation, autoworkers have seen their average wages fall 19.3% since 2008,
    I don't even want to do the math, if I do that math I'm going to guess it is way worse than 19.3%.

I have skills, a federal government certificate in my pocket that says I can do the work I perform, and a level of knowledge that my employer is willing to pay a premium for over the general market rate (last i checked)

There is no way I'm getting a 40 to 60% raise in this economy. I will just simply keep getting bent over by inflation, and find the only vehicle I can afford next time is a beater.

Last edited:

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    "Adjusting for inflation, autoworkers have seen their average wages fall 19.3% since 2008, according to Adam Hersh, senior economist at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. That's because autoworker "concessions made following the 2008 auto industry crisis were never reinstated," Hersh said in a recent blog post, "including a suspension of cost-of-living adjustments." "

Sorry but this is funny lefty math. EVERYONE has seen their wages decrease when adjusting for inflation, particularly since inflation has skyrocketed in the last several years.

The average hourly earnings for non-management private-sector workers in all industries is $28/hr. The average wage for a UAW auto worker is $28/hr. Sorry but they aren’t getting hosed at all. They are right on par with the rest of the private sector and overpaid for the unskilled labor that they perform.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why can I ask, do you believe that?
    That's how the non-union skilled jobs work. You are paid for your skill and performance. If I perform at a higher level than coworkers, I will get rewarded for doing so with higher raises and promotions. If the market for what I do is paying more than the company I am working for, either they bring compensation in line or I move to another company that pays what the market is paying.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    There's no way we're getting a 40-60% raise in any economy.

My wish list...
    1. Cola. This was supposed to be a temporary concession during bankruptcy.
    2. 20% raise over the life of the contract.
    3. A bump in retirees pay.
    4. Strict limits on temporary employees. When there are "temporary" employees working 40+ hours a week for 6+ years, there's no way the company can honestly say they're not needed. Temporary employees top out at under $20/hour and don't receive bonuses or profit sharing. I would like to see them go full time after 120 days. I would also like to see a cap on the number of temporary employees.
    5. Full wages in 4 years instead of 8.
    6. Battery plants and EV plants brought into the master agreement.
    7. A bump in company provided 401k.
    8. All of uaw to fall under the same healthcare plan which would allow more bargaining power for health insurance.

Pension and retiree Healthcare for tier 2 won't happen. As much as I would like to see it, it's just not realistic to expect a company to provide it anymore. Personally, this doesn't affect me but it does affect my friends and family. 32 hour work week is a joke. I work 6-7 days a week, not because I have to, but because I get bored taking too much time off work.

On a personal note, I hate the term tiers. I hate the concept. The only difference between tier 1 and tier 2 is retirement pension and retirement healthcare, but there's no way the companies will be willing to take on that expense.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sorry but this is funny lefty math. EVERYONE has seen their wages decrease when adjusting for inflation, particularly since inflation has skyrocketed in the last several years.

The average hourly earnings for non-management private-sector workers in all industries is $28/hr. The average wage for a UAW auto worker is $28/hr. Sorry but they aren’t getting hosed at all. They are right on par with the rest of the private sector and overpaid for the unskilled labor that they perform.
    Teachers unions are no different.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

It always makes me laugh when people throw out the "unskilled" line. Upper management makes a LOT of money to completely **** up the operation. I could spend countless hours telling stories of the sheer stupidity we see on a daily basis that costs millions of dollars. Refusing to an oil leak because they don't want the 3 hours of downtime, but then complaining about the 1,000s of gallons of oil lost. Refusing to spend $20,000 for a part but then spending $80,000 in shipping fees to have that part expedited because now they need it. Ordering a lube alarm to be turned off instead of allowing it to be fixed, then crying about the 7 days of downtime to fix the seized parts. I could go on. But we're the unskilled labor. A college degree doesn't automatically make someone skilled.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That's how the non-union skilled jobs work. You are paid for your skill and performance. If I perform at a higher level than coworkers, I will get rewarded for doing so with higher raises and promotions. If the market for what I do is paying more than the company I am working for, either they bring compensation in line or I move to another company that pays what the market is paying.
    So tell me, with that, what about those in small market areas?

I dont by that arguement, with some Trades but not all. So you go to work for a non union elevator company.
    After a year or two when the folks working locally in that trade bring your name up in a Union Meeting.
    The business agent is told your name and what job or jobs members have seen you on. That Business Agent swings by to meet you. He offers you a lunch date.
    At that lunch date he offers you a Union job at more money and better bennies.
    With that offer of now being a Union Mechanic comes with a yrs employment, all IUEC educational books and a mechanics test at the end of that year.
    You pass the test, you are now a Union Mechanic, you fail you have a few options.
    Take all the union school or leave the union trade.
    Ive seen it happen many times in my years.

Ive never understood why the auto dealer body shop and line mechanics have never been Unionized.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    It always makes me laugh when people throw out the "unskilled" line. Upper management makes a LOT of money to completely **** up the operation. I could spend countless hours telling stories of the sheer stupidity we see on a daily basis that costs millions of dollars. Refusing to an oil leak because they don't want the 3 hours of downtime, but then complaining about the 1,000s of gallons of oil lost. Refusing to spend $20,000 for a part but then spending $80,000 in shipping fees to have that part expedited because now they need it. Ordering a lube alarm to be turned off instead of allowing it to be fixed, then crying about the 7 days of downtime to fix the seized parts. I could go on. But we're the unskilled labor. A college degree doesn't automatically make someone skilled.

I would assume since it’s union that people in upper management are there for every reason except competence. That’s doesn’t surprise me in the least

I also agree that a college degree doesn’t make someone skilled. However it is a stepping stone and as you can see the professions I listed off have fare more educational requirements than just a college degree.

But you didn’t really address what I was speaking to. The wages for non-management UAW workers are identical to non-management private sector employees for the public at large. So why do you think they are entitled to a raise if they are exactly where the market is.

Top Bottom