• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    USPS should let attrition wittle down their numbers, hire "cheaper" employees, and move to having mail delivered 2 or 3 time a week.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I highly suggest referring to posts #9 and #12.

You fail to understand that the Constitution can be amended. If you do some homework, you'll find it has already happened 27 times. The concept of a private company being the correct choice to deliver mail to a nation in 1787 would have been unthinkable. Big problems sometimes requires big thoughts. Expand your thinking.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't see the necessity of an amendment. Just because a power is delegated to Congress does not mean it is mandated to be performed in any particular way. Congress could decide to allow the power to be left unexercised or simply open the field to anyone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I don't see the necessity of an amendment. Just because a power is delegated to Congress does not mean it is mandated to be performed in any particular way. Congress could decide to allow the power to be left unexercised or simply open the field to anyone.

Exactly. It is not a responsibility of the Federal Government to deliver the mail, but rather a right that can be used in any way they see fit. The government could permit a private institution to take over the existing infrastructure, take away all federal funding and let the private management clean house and make some money.

But of course, that is unthinkable. The government does not surrender power, no matter how petty.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Great point Carmel.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Time for a bailout

Obama administration moves to save debt-ridden Postal Service from default

If changes are not made, Donahoe told reporters, “we think that around the August, September time frame next year we would be out of cash.”The Postal Service is fast approaching its borrowing limit of $15 billion, leaving officials concerned about a first-ever USPS default. Donahoe told the Senate panel that the Postal Service’s net loss for this fiscal year could run as high as $10 billion, and projects to around $9 billion for next year.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would hate to see Ben Franklin's postal service go. Private companies might not be willing to deliver to large parts of this country because it just wouldn't make cost sense. But obviously something has to change. Perhaps they are the famed buggy whip company and it is nearing time for them go, which would be a shame. They want to lay off over 100,000 people but apparently they can't due to labor contracts. Losing those costs I am sure would help.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think we all know what would be amended in the event of a modern constitutional convention, Rambone. And it wouldn't be the postal service.

Don't need a convention to amend the Constitution. Congressional action is all that is required to propose an amendment. Successful passage of the proposal sends the amendment-to-be to the states, who can then ratify it in their state legislatures or ratify it in ratifying conventions. The latter has only been used once.

Besides, even if they did open up a convention with no subject verboten, ratification from 38 states would be difficult to achieve.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    How in the world can the USPS be running NEGATIVE 9 billion... for the year?!?!?!?!?!

That is INSANE!

The federal government can't do ANYTHING right.

I think the age of needing "United" States is long over.

Free, Sovereign and independent States.

BTW in colonial days the word State and Nation was synonymous.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    "Junk" mail is not the cause of the USPS financial difficulties. Bulk mail is a major revenue source for the USPS. The advertisers pay to have material printed and distributed. We then pay to have it carted off in our trash. It's a jobs creation program.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    the biggest obsticle the USPS has to profit right now is the US Congress, whenever they try to close a post office in Podunkville, some congressmen gets in the gears of business and stops it. They have thousands of branches they need to close but our government stands in their way.

USPS doesn't stand a chance at breaking even when congress won't let them

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    How in the world can the USPS be running NEGATIVE 9 billion... for the year?!?!?!?!?!

That is INSANE!
    It's normal for government run institutions and it is insane. The USPS is overburdened by pensions and benefits, having too many employees and facilities, as well as too low prices on many of their main services. The costs their union inspired employee benefits and pensions have laid on them are unsustainable, (as are those of most states and municipalities). Thankfully, if they were allowed to default and go under, (as would be the case if the government just allowed the market to work), most of us wouldn't really miss a beat. We'd pay our bills online, as many of already do and correspond via email or phone with most family. The USPS has steadily declined over the last 60 years. Dinosaurs either evolve or go extinct. My guess is that this particular dino will be rescued and continue to limp along as a cripple, at great expense to the taxpayers. Not worth it, IMO. Let it die.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Didn't Kramer refuse mail in one episode? I've always wanted to try that. Just take down my mailbox and refuse mail. I have no need for it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would have no issue at all if the USPS closed their doors today. There are plenty of private businesses that can deliver ANYTHING (letters, packages, crates, you name it) to me or from me, overnight (or nearly so), to anywhere in the world. Sure, it costs more than the USPS, but if I want it, I'll pay for it.

Doesn't FedEx already move the bulk of the mail between cities?

Top Bottom