Typical number of shots fired in CC situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goodfoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Noblesville
    I realize there are so many variables, but what do the police or trainers say? Researching CC guns for wife and I. Is 6-8 enough rounds? Seems like after 3-5 all involved would be hiding or gone. I've heard that in the heat of the moment it's easy to miss the first 3 shots. How many people should we prepare for? (CC not home defense) Curious of your experiences.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    In a concealed carry situation I don’t plan on firing any. It’s when the gun is drawn I may fire.

Ok, seriously, anecdotally speaking many times the gun is drawn and no shots are fired. But you better not count on that. You’d better be trained.
    Theoretically 1 or 2 should do it.

I don’t agree with your comment about “missing the first 3” . Whoever is saying that to you, well, I would take what they say with a grain of salt without knowing more in context. You miss the first three and it’s going downhill fast for you. Those shots went somewhere, you are responsible for them. Your goal has to be every shot hits its mark. All the while your missing, the drug-crazed or otherwise unafraid are advancing on you.

I’m gonna assume your kinda new to shooting; I will just tell you my experience of learning to carry (different than shooting) is going from feeling like my Sig p238 was printing horribly (single stack tiny 380) to being comfortable carrying a full size at 3-4 o’clock or appendix.

Also remember, in Indiana you don’t “have” to hide it. You do need to be comfortable with it, and it’s use.

Goodfoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Noblesville
    In a concealed carry situation I don’t plan on firing any. It’s when the gun is drawn I may fire.

Ok, seriously, anecdotally speaking many times the gun is drawn and no shots are fired. But you better not count on that. You’d better be trained.
    Theoretically 1 or 2 should do it.

I don’t agree with your comment about “missing the first 3” . Whoever is saying that to you, well, I would take what they say with a grain of salt without knowing more in context. You miss the first three and it’s going downhill fast for you. Those shots went somewhere, you are responsible for them. Your goal has to be every shot hits its mark. All the while your missing, the drug-crazed or otherwise unafraid are advancing on you.

I’m gonna assume your kinda new to shooting; I will just tell you my experience of learning to carry (different than shooting) is going from feeling like my Sig p238 was printing horribly (single stack tiny 380) to being comfortable carrying a full size at 3-4 o’clock or appendix.

Also remember, in Indiana you don’t “have” to hide it. You do need to be comfortable with it, and it’s use.
    Yes new to shooting so thanks for being kind. We plan on lots of training and are buying a range membership and some classes today.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is a saying: 3x3.

Most defensive shoots happen:

With 3 shots
    within 3 feet* (bad breath distance)
    and end within 3 seconds.

Not definitive, but fairly common.

*Edit: Or was it yards?

Last edited:

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    In the recent PA Uber driver case, he shot all 12 rounds in his CC Taurus G2C, and it seems very necessary for him to do so. He has two guys with guns on his back, and a third guy a few feet away in his car. His gun is in his pocket with an empty chamber! Somehow he managed to chamber a round and shot the two guys holding him up. So the distance is less than 3 ft. Lucky for him the third guy immediately fled. Can't tell from the video whether he fired at the 3rd guy. If he did, then it was 4 shots per person. This really was pushing the limits as even in police shooting 4 rounds are usually not enough to take down a perp. In conclusion, in this case about 8 to 10 shots within 3 ft took down two attacker, and 2 to 4 shots at more than 10 ft and it all missed.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    There are times when I'm packing a Glock 45 (17 rd mag) +1 in the chamber, + 2 spare mags.

There are other times when all I have on me is a S&W 640. (5 shot J frame revolver). Like today.

It all boils down to sometimes I feel like I need to prepare for the worst case possible, and other times I'm carrying "just in case". Part of that is me being a disabled combat veteran with multiple deployments, so I've experienced the worst... Part of that is me watching the news, and knowing that the worst can also happen right here at home... Truth is very few of us will ever need our weapons to defend ourselves with in civilian life, and if we do, it won't (I hope) be as bad as combat) so for the most part, anything I have that's good enough to stop an attacker, and that I'm good enough with to hit the target (while under stress, and in a hurry) should suffice.

The key is to have a weapon that's capable of stopping the threat, then getting good enough with it.
    Also, have a weapon mounted light, or at least carry a good light. It's dark our 50% of the time, and bad guys love jumping people in dark places.

Keep in mind humans are unpredictable. Sometimes they can be very fragile, and a .22lr can bring down one with a single shot. Other times they can be extremely resilient, and withstand an incredible amount of punishment. (being shot multiple times with large caliber rounds)

Get good, put the shots where they need to go.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Whenever I see someone singing the praises of "you don't need more than . . . ." I always harken back to this guy who got into a gunfight with a guy and used up almost all his ammo - 3 13-rd magazines - and hit the guy 14 times before he neutralized him.

I train as much as I'm able, and I'm retired so I'm not constrained by "work clothes" but I carry two spare magazines all the time. Not because I'm afraid that I won't hit my target, but because I don't want to be out of ammo while the other guy still has his.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    OP, revisiting your “miss the first three shots” comment, there was a drill posted in a red dot thread that spoke to that
    (Thanks cedartop!)
    Fun little drill, if you read to near the bottom you will see them talking about some professional observations concerning the need for hits on target, quickly, and ways to train for that.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Prepare for the worst. Be comfortable as your training and confidence enables you to never need the skills or tools.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Here's a good thread

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    damn it.
    I should have refreshed the page. It took me awhile to find it.

Top Bottom