• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I picked up a Turkish Mauser Saturday and was looking for some ammo to shoot it. A friend at work said that it might be an earlier model with a smaller diameter bore and would blow up with regular 8mm surplus ammo. I am looking for more information on this please. It's a CAI import and the barrel is also stamped 1903 Berlin 8mm.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    If it is a 1903 model, as the import stamp you quoted indicates, it is a large ring 98 mauser action with a .323 inch barrel. I would have no issue with firing any available 8mm mauser ammo in it.

What are the markings on the receiver ring?

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Thanks guys. The information here contradicts what the guy at work was telling me. The date on the receiver is 1932

Turkey undertook a major modernization program in the 1930's. That is when your rifle was re-arsenalled. Any rifles made before the German change from .318 to .323 (Model 1893's, Gewehr 88's, etc.) had new barrels installed in the '30's. What your coworker is referring to is the few rifles still around that have the original barrels with the smaller bore diameter. Rest assures that the markings on yours show that you are safe.

Top Bottom