• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've got it all put together, but I'm having trouble figuring out my pulley size. My motor turns 15 RPM and I have a 2" pulley on my shaft that my pipe is on. What size of pulley do I need on my motor to get 60 RPM at my pipe? Or would I be better of getting a faster motor?

papa6x

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    An 8 inch pulley on your motor will give you your desired rpm. This will turn the rollers at 60 rpm. How fast your container turns will be a factor of its diameter and the roller diamater.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Thanks for the info. My container is 6", and the rollers are 1". I meant to put that in original post , but I guess I had a brain fart.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, 6" pipe (is the the true outside diameter? That will make a difference) to 1" roller gives a ratio of 6:1. IE, roller needs to turn 6 times to turn the pipe once.

You want 60 rpm at the pipe so that means 360 rpm on the rollers.

360rpm/15rpm = 24:1 ratio

So to turn your roller with 2" dimeter pulley on it you need a 48" diameter pulley on your motor.

That is assuming we have our terminology right.
    Pipe is the "drum" that holds the brass/media and turns
    Roller/shaft is what the pipe sits on. The rollers turn and therefore the pipe turns

Looks like you need a bit faster motor.

Another option would be to somehow direct drive from motor to pipe. In that case you would only need a 4:1 ratio to get 60 rpm. Or, if you use the pipe as the pulley, running the belt directly on the pipe you would need a 24" pulley on your motor.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    Ok, 6" pipe (is the the true outside diameter? That will make a difference) to 1" roller gives a ratio of 6:1. IE, roller needs to turn 6 times to turn the pipe once.

You want 60 rpm at the pipe so that means 360 rpm on the rollers.

360rpm/15rpm = 24:1 ratio

So to turn your roller with 2" dimeter pulley on it you need a 48" diameter pulley on your motor.

That is assuming we have our terminology right.
    Pipe is the "drum" that holds the brass/media and turns
    Roller/shaft is what the pipe sits on. The rollers turn and therefore the pipe turns

Looks like you need a bit faster motor.

Another option would be to somehow direct drive from motor to pipe. In that case you would only need a 4:1 ratio to get 60 rpm. Or, if you use the pipe as the pulley, running the belt directly on the pipe you would need a 24" pulley on your motor.

:yesway:

Top Bottom