Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You're supposed to check a box acknowledging that you've read the forum rules when you join, aren't you? If they're not, then that's really not on INGO. :dunno: I agree about the scrapers though.
    Its clear MANY people dont read the rules. Not just the OP.

Or they read the rules during sign up, dont post, then go away for a while and return. And upon their return they have forgotten all the rules and are confused when they cant do something. (or break the rules by replying to ads, etc)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You're supposed to check a box acknowledging that you've read the forum rules when you join, aren't you?
    Not that I see when following the join links as far as I can without joining again. Just terms and privacy.

If they're not, then that's really not on INGO. :dunno: I agree about the scrapers though.
    Since we do not see what those joining see we can only go by what we have heard, that potential members do not know there are additional hoops before being able to contact a seller. My point has been there needs to be a notice clear and plain that just applying for membership will not be all that is necessary to achieve what they joined for.

If one comes here via a link to an item for sale, then chooses to join they do not see any reference to any other rules until later in the process. All they see is “I agree to the terms and privacy policy”. The terms do not reference anything about site rules for classifieds. It says this:

“Classifieds
    The Sites may have a classified ads section. We do not recommend online payments for transactions due to possible scams or issues. Anyone accessing and using the classifieds does so at their own risk physically or financially. If anyone has any issues with a classified ad, please report the issue to a mod/admin immediately.”

So I get why we see frustrated people that occasionally snap, a third party brought them here under the false impression the item was in an open classified, they then jump through the hoops they believe will get them what they want only to find out that there is more they were not informed of during the joining process.

Lpherr

Occupied
    This is the first website I've ever joined that has stinking rules.
    NO other website has rules, or TOS.
    Next thing you know, there will be a Code of Conduct added.
    I thought this was a free country?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If one comes here via a link to an item for sale, then chooses to join they do not see any reference to any other rules until later in the process. All they see is “I agree to the terms and privacy policy”. The terms do not reference anything about site rules for classifieds.
    I'll take your word for it. I'm just going by what others (including mods) have said about checking the box saying that they've read the rules.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Or they read the rules during sign up, dont post, then go away for a while and return. And upon their return they have forgotten all the rules and are confused when they cant do something. (or break the rules by replying to ads, etc)
    Where are the rules during sign up? Just went as far as I could and saw nothing about rules so it at best can only be after submit. It does require a check box for “I agree to the terms and privacy policy”, neither of which reference the rules. So when do they get the rules?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Serious question. It’s been a few years since I joined. What rules does a new member acknowledge when they join? Link or screen shot?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Serious question. It’s been a few years since I joined. What rules does a new member acknowledge when they join? Link or screen shot?
    I agree to the terms and privacy policy.

Those are links above in brown on my display. Exactly what new members agree to. You can also do as I did and open a browser in private go to a classified, select join and follow to that screen.

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    Why do people simply refuse to read the rules? I just do not get it. :horse:
    I'm not gonna say I'm a smart man by any means, but when I joined I read the rules and thought the hoops only applied to selling not buying, it may have been reworded since then but one of my first posts was similar to this one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree to the terms and privacy policy.

Those are links above in brown on my display. Exactly what new members agree to. You can also do as I did and open a browser in private go to a classified, select join and follow to that screen.
    I see the terms links to congregate media's terms, not the INGO rules. Maybe that's the confusing part.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Whatever the check box is for when you sign up really doesn't matter. If it's not checked, you don't get to advance ... much like the TOS for anything you sign up to use.

So, what's the point of reading anything? Either you check the box or you don't move forward and get to use the service.

Why not just send an email to all new members with the same diatribe that the Mods use every time this sort of question is asked or when they encounter a runner? Same result as a check box … just ignore it the email. Better yet, they claim it never arrived.

The only time people have to read the rules is when they can't get what they want, then ask a question, and are then referred back to the rules to read. Even then, I suspect they still don’t read the rules … maybe give them a quick glance, but never really read them. However, there is no more check box to advance ... read and comply or move along. Sometimes forcibly moved along which is generally humorous for INGO members, but super aggravating for the Mods.

Such is life in our modern world.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom