Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    The constants
    RRA mid-length upper
    Delaware lower
    New Starline brass
    Barnes TTSX 300gns
    CCI magnum pistol primers

Having troubles cycling. Started with Reloader 7 with 33gns. Asked Andrew at Profire what he is using and he said H110. Went and got some of that. Started with 28gns and moved up to 33gns (what Andrew said he is using). Seen on another forum and someone was gettin good results with 37gns of Reloader 7.
    Still nothing.
    Tried running standard and both RRA buffer springs. They are ejecting and resetting the hammer but I can watch the bolt carrier not going back far enough to pick up a new round. Any suggestions would help. Thanks Dustin

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    An undergassed gun needs to be sent back to the manufactorer if you ask me, let THEM spend the money to test it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have the same set up gun-wise and we are practically neighbors. I am however out of ammo currently. If you want to try some of you loads through my gun, PM me and I'd be happy give them a shot. I have only put 15 rounds through mine. I bought them from Rose Reloading at the Nappannee gun show and my gun loved them. Can't remember the powder he used but it was 41.5 grains and they were hot. I'll look it up when I get home.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have read that there are issues with the fast powder and Mid Length uppers.
    I have a Mid-Length but have not got to shoot it yet.
    I have settled on IMR 4198 it seems to be a popular powder for the Mid Length.

I have loads made up just need to take it to the range to see if mine works

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    They are ejecting and resetting the hammer but I can watch the bolt carrier not going back far enough to pick up a new round.

With a live one in the chamber and an empty magazine, will the bolt lock back?

Will it do it with a known good 223/5.56/whatever upper on this lower?

If it won't run on 37g of RL-7 my money is on the assembly/parts collection of the lower. That has always been a warm (to say the least) load for an AR.

cherrynutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    Took the gun to John at Tactical Component. He is going to break the gun down and check on the gas tube. He thinks it may be loose. If it is not loose he is going to open it up a little more. Should have it back in the next few days.

Ghuns, where do you live at. Might take you up on your offer.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would also suggest running some flitz on the bolt carrier group and charging/releasing the BCG about 100 times. That will help with break in time and help reduce failures. IGW had me do this on both my AR builds the. 223 and 308.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The loads I shot through mine were 300 grain Horandy HP with 41.5 grains of accurate 1680 and Winchester primers. Running the red spring.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have run Andrews load thru my mid length with no issues. I also reload 300 gr. JHPs and 325 FTX Hornadys with H110 with no issues. I am running a standard .223 carbine spring with a standard .223 buffer in a MagPul UBR stock. Mine will eat anything. Just remember the Barnes 300 TTSX is not the same load as the 300 gr. JHP's like Remingtons, Hornadys or Sierras. Read up on www458socomforum.com for great load data and info from guys who have been shooting them for a long time. Marty the SOCOM designer/creator is also on there.

cherrynutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    The 458 forums is where my buddy is reading and getting some load data from (this is his gun and reloading components, just using my press)

Thanks to all for the info/suggestions. Hopefully it's something simple with the upper and John will get it all squared away

Naruto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    The 458 forums is where my buddy is reading and getting some load data from (this is his gun and reloading components, just using my press)

Thanks to all for the info/suggestions. Hopefully it's something simple with the upper and John will get it all squared away

Did you ever get your issue resolved? Are you having success with REL#7?

cherrynutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    Did you ever get your issue resolved? Are you having success with REL#7?

Just seen this. Had to open up the gas tubes a little more. Gun was under gassed. Its been awhile but i think he switched to h110 As suggested by Azergian. The R7 was running all righht but he was getting better groups from h110. He ran out of 300g so now it's time to try some hornady 325g.

Last edited:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I've had good accuracy with Andrew's loads in my mid-length and it cycles fine but it won't lock back on an empty mag with any of his loads, regardless of which buffer spring I use. It hasn't been a problem on a hunting gun but I'd work to get it fixed if it were a duty gun or self-defense gun.

Top Bottom