Trespassers - Thanks for the decoy and calls!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • memphis_125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    Drove out to where I hunt (private land) this morning and going down the gravel road next to the field I see a turkey but with the fog I was right next to it before I even realized what it was. As I passed it and realize what it is and then quickly realize that someone is probably tucked up into the woods. I stop the truck and get out and told anyone in the woods to come out because I know I am the only one who hunts turkey on this land. After 30 seconds of nothing and me looking into the woods I see someone stand up from behind a small blind and take off into the woods. I quickly call the land owner and confirm that there shouldn't be anyone else there and then told him what had happened. I walked up into the woods to find a nice box and slate call and got a new decoy. Thanks! We will be watching for you again and would love to chat with you!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I aquire 2 to 6 tree stands a year off my place. its a never ending saga.. My son has found a few portable blinds in the past but all of them were $ 69.00 pos's from Dicks or bass pro

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So someone trespassing (breaking the law) gives you the right to confiscate/take (steal) their stuff?.......... I didn't know it worked that way. :dunno:

If someone abandons their personal belongings on someone else's property that they had no business being on in the first place, what is the land owner to do? Leave their property littered with the junk of other people?

Seems pretty easily avoided by those who wish to keep their personal belongings. I personally wouldn't be opposed to it being lawful to, well I'd better not say...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I know an Amish gentleman who has at least 2 - 4 stands in his barn at any given time. They keep appearing on his property. Sometimes he would post a note on the tree to talk to the owner but nobody has ever knocked on his door.
    He gives them away to friends and family.

I've heard this story repeated through the years from a lot of land owners.

I especially like when the owner of the illegal stand calls the police and meets them at the owners place.
    Then is surprised when the cop says the stand now belongs to the property owner and it's up to him if he wants to return it.

Just proves how far north inbreeding has gotten.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So someone trespassing (breaking the law) gives you the right to confiscate/take (steal) their stuff?.......... I didn't know it worked that way. :dunno:

Yep. Is it theft if they abandon it on my property and never ask to reclaim it? Especially if I don't know who it is?

Regardless, I don't give a rat's ass about a poacher who is trespassing on my property. Why anyone would think they deserve consideration is beyond me.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest

I believe this falls under "finders keepers, losers weepers". Some of us have dealt with more issues caused by trespassers than you can ever imagine. They get zero respect or consideration from me.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I don't understand how someone voluntarily abondoning their gear/equipment is stealing. Nothing was stolen and the OP's actions are justified.
    If some drunk decided to sleep it off in your car and ran off when you confronted him and left his watch in your car before departing, would your possesion of the watch make you a thief?....................I think not. If he or the trespassers felt wronged by events, they can most certainly return with a LEO and voice their complaint.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Spoken Brad like someone that does not own any property worthy of trespassing.
    How about you work you're a$$ off for 10 to 20 years and buy a farm or a weekend / retirement property and you will quickly change your opinion on acquiring property that others left behind to use at a later date.
    Once you have trees cut down and fences cut along with motorcycle and 4 wheeler damage. Drunks or 4 wheel drives ending up in the middle of a newly plowed field. Add wanton waste with the deer you find missing antlers and tenderloins. Plus the trash is always welcome, and this is just for starters Brad.
    But like others have said already, no one ever knocks on the door looking for their lost equipment.
    And people wonder why landowner generally don't let others hunt on there property..

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I usually cut the stands off of trees and then track them back to the property line where I dump them.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Taking control of property abandoned on your real property is not theft. The original owner can come back at any time to seek possession or title to it. In reality, they do not do so because it was abandoned there during the commission of the crime and they don't want to be prosecuted. This is particularly so because if they are convicted of that crime, the property will most likely be forfeited or seized by the DNR. As such, ownership or title to the property will often vest in the landowner or person who found it under the abandoned property statutes because the owner never claims it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    How about you work you're a$$ off for 10 to 20 years and buy a farm or a weekend / retirement property and you will quickly change your opinion on acquiring property that others left behind to use at a later date.
    Once you have trees cut down and fences cut along with motorcycle and 4 wheeler damage. Drunks or 4 wheel drives ending up in the middle of a newly plowed field. Add wanton waste with the deer you find missing antlers and tenderloins. Plus the trash is always welcome, and this is just for starters Brad.
    But like others have said already, no one ever knocks on the door looking for their lost equipment.
    And people wonder why landowner generally don't let others hunt on there property..

First of all, it was a simple question/statement I put out there to gauge people's opinions/thinking. For the record, I have been hunting on a family owned property in Orange county for over 25 years. This property (approx. 300 ac) is not used for anything but a hunting property (no farming) by me and whoever I decide to invite. While I personally don't own the land, I do have an investment in the cabin, outhouse, food plots....etc. I hate trespassers just as much as the next person. Matter of fact, I had someone break into the cabin and steal the wood burning stove out of it last summer. So, I do know about the frustrations that occur from trespassers and law breakers. Over the 25 years, I have only had a few problems..... most of the time it is someone placing stands on my property. All I do is take the stands down and place them at the base of the tree, they usually get the message. I did find out one time that the person living just down the road placed a few stands out on the property. I paid a visit and had a little talk with the person. This was 9 years ago, and as far as I know, he has never been back.

17 squirrel, it's obvious that my initial posting tripped your trigger. Next time you personally attack someone, and assume things about that person, I would recommend getting your facts straight first.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Obviously you don't know Brad, but that didn't stop you from getting personal.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    you did not trip anything with me, You still have ' NO SKIN IN THE GAME ' so to speak. Its not your property, and i believe you were the one who stated " So someone trespassing (breaking the law) gives you the right to confiscate/take (steal) their stuff?.......... I didn't know it worked that way. "

The way i read your statment is that i am " stealing " from someone whom trespassed on my property. You opened up the door my friend.
    like i said maybe once you work and buy your own place or it gets left to you and you start paying the taxes and repair bills you will feel different.
    :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom