Traveled by car from IN to CO with handgun, OK so far (still in CO)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    So, here is what I did. Comments welcome. I cc, and in the summer months carry a Ruger 380 LCP. I had it with me as always when I left on the trip. Stopped in Terre Haute for a pit stop, and put it in the trunk, under stuff, before entering Illinois. I know that technically I was not legal in IL, but figured chances of any issue were small since I drove straight through the state, observing the speed limit, without stopping. Got a little ways past St. Louis, another pit stop, put it back in cc mode for the trip through Missouri and Kansas, both of which, I understand, recognize IN's LTCH (along I70, nearly 700 miles of he most boring driving, I must say). When I got to CO, where I am now for several days, I do not carry, but keep the Ruger either in the car I am driving or in my hotel room, as I understand that CO does not recognize the IN LTCH, but does allow personal protection by having a handgun in your vehicle or home (I interpret my hotel room as my home when I ma there). Make sense?

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    actually, if you are an indiana resident, i believe you are ok in CO.....basically, one of us two is misinterpreting the map and reciprocity laws.....someone smarter will come along eventually...and IANAL

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    meaning that if you are an indiana resident and have an indiana ltch it is accepted in CO...but if youre from illinois and have a non-resident license you would not be ok.....not sure why, as indiana has no training req's to get the license.....but i never claimed that U.S. gun laws ever made any sense...

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I am heading to CO. myself sometime soon and I researched Handgunlaw and I believe that I am good to go EXCEPT for the commie state of Ilannoys. No need to inform either!

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I believe Illinois' new law allows you to keep your firearm in the vehicle with you if you have a license from another state. That portion of the law went into effect immediately upon the veto override. There is also a "magic bubble" that allows you to get out of the vehicle and go around to store your firearm in the trunk when parked at a GFZ. I believe that would apply to out of state permittees as well.

If my understanding of the law is mistaken, I'm sure somebody will point it out soon, but I read the enacted law in its entirety 2 weeks ago when we traveled to northern Illinois for a reunion, so it's fresh in my mind.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Stopped in Terre Haute for a pit stop, and put it in the trunk, under stuff, before entering Illinois. I know that technically I was not legal in IL, but figured chances of any issue were small since I drove straight through the state, observing the speed limit, without stopping.

As long as it was unloaded while in the trunk, wouldn't it have been legal under FOPA's "safe passage'" provision?

Top Bottom