• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?

Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

This is from the State Police FAQ. So to be 100% safe one would have to know the ordinances for each of the jurisdictions one passes through. I can see how this could really cause problems. I going to St. Louis this weekend and my friend wanted to do some shooting at the local range. I guess I'll be renting a handgun at the range.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    According to my southern Illinois relatives, if you stay away from the S***cago (their term, not just mine!) area, you won't have to worry about transporting through the state. I believe they thought it was obvious that you'd be licensed in Indiana when we were discussing this topic last weekend. Follow the ISP rule of keeping the firearm out of sight within your locked vehicle when you have to leave it, and you should be fine. Note that IANAL, but this advice comes from folks who live there...and presumably have a better feel for the local attitudes over there than those of us that don't live with Illinois' craziness on a regular basis.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You don't need to unload your mags in IL.

Up until quite recently, it was easier to legally transport in IL than in IN...

In a secure container, no mag in gun. That's it. "secure container" wasn't further defined.

In light of recent passed legislation in IL about the carrying of handguns on/about a person - I honestly have no idea.

But seriously - in a secure container, no mag in gun.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    What i heard, correct me if im wrong, but in light of their allowing concealed carry, if you have a CCW permit from another state, you can have it on you inside your car.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    What i heard, correct me if im wrong, but in light of their allowing concealed carry, if you have a CCW permit from another state, you can have it on you inside your car.

This is true and can be found right on the Illinois State Police website.

Also it is a fact that you DO NOT have to remove your booolits from your magazine. (If not a ccw/ltch holder) and transporting through illinois. THe gun just cant be loaded (no live magazine in gun nor a booolit in the chamber)---this only applies to non CCW/LTCH holders. A CCW/LTCH allows conceal/open carry in your vehicle (only) and the gun obviously can and should be loaded.

StandingReady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    There was a case a few years ago regarding a guy moving from Indiana to Wisconsin, who was transporting his unloaded firearms, secured in the back of his vehicle, according to law. He was stopped in Crook county, and in spite of the distances he had gone to to comply with the law, he was still arrested. After a couple years and a lot of legal expenses, the charges were dropped. My point is that even if you comply with the law, the area around S***cago is so anti gun that you may still have problems. You can see how much the politicians around Chicago despise legal gun ownership and want to promote the lawlessness that they currently have to try to use a fodder for their current agenda. They will prosecute as many good people as they can, all why letting that revolving door spin for the criminals, who also happen to be the politicians' best constituents...Just look at how they have tried to skirt the laws regarding their recent defeats, such as not being able to restrict gun shops in the city and in having to allow CC now.

And for the record, just like Ohio had done initially, Illinois only recognizes it's own permits. There is no reciprocity. Technically speaking, until 2005, even off duty police were not legally allowed to carry a firearm in Illinois.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    There was also an illinois court case that ruled that the glove box was a secure container. As others have said, the gun just needs to be unloaded and inaccessible. Inaccessible can be accomplished by putting in your trunk, glove box, or any container that can be fastened.

Lived in Illinois most of my life so I'm pretty familiar. Just be smart and you will be fine. And of course as others have stated, if you have LTCH then you don't even have to make it inaccessible.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Here's how to transport a handgun through Illinois legally under the new law:
    1. Ensure you have your LTCH with you.
    2. put your gun on (I don't know the legal stance of OC in Illinois, so look it up yourself)
    3. drive through Illinois (preferably without spending any money).
    4. If you have get out of your vehicle to spend money, or leave behind bodily waste, your firearm must remain secured out of sight in the vehicle.
    5. Wave bye-bye as you leave Illinois and return to America.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf
    Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Last edited:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Why even worry about it. Its as simple as not admitting you have a firearm and not letting an LEO do any searches of your vehicle. Thats if you even have to encounter a officer to begin with, which if you obey the laws of the road, you should have nothing to worry about.

I have worked in chicago for 7 years, and have had a firearm on me everyday in my vehicle, pulled over a couple times, and never had a problem. Im not saying YOU should break the law, but i think people put to much thought into driving through illinois with a firearm. An LEO cant see whats under your seat without PC or your permission.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Bill B gets a +1 on his reputation.

He's spot on.

And, the irony that you can carry as a non-resident with a permit (in your car) when I, as a resident, can't, isn't lost upon me.

John

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Bill B gets a +1 on his reputation.

He's spot on.

And, the irony that you can carry as a non-resident with a permit (in your car) when I, as a resident, can't, isn't lost upon me.

John

Maybe you should consider becoming an IL non-resident... ;)

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here's how to transport a handgun through Illinois legally under the new law:
    1. Ensure you have your LTCH with you.
    2. put your gun on (I don't know the legal stance of OC in Illinois, so look it up yourself)
    3. drive through Illinois (preferably without spending any money).
    4. If you have get out of your vehicle to spend money, or leave behind bodily waste, your firearm must remain secured out of sight in the vehicle.
    5. Wave bye-bye as you leave Illinois and return to America.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf

This is exactly how I did it on my way to Tulsa a few weeks ago. My wife now knows why I call it the Peoples' Republic of Illinois, the State I love to hate.

Top Bottom