• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a very instructive time at the range with Rhino.
    We worked on the basics:
    a. how to properly load a mag (angles and grip of mag, and etc.)
    b. much time on proper grip of gun:
    1. right hand needs to be "snugged" up more (been shown that by a Rangemaster at Point Blank months ago when I was using my Glock 26 and I had immediate improvement on shot placement but obviously must consciously keep focusing on it).
    2. left hand a big issue: I do it all wrong, and doing it right is difficult b/c of learned bad grip and my accuracy suffers using correct grip since that is unfamiliar.
    c. my stance is "old school" and needs updated

Having never benefited from any correctly-trained basic shooting grip/stance techniques, hopefully I'll improve accuracy when I put into practice what Rhino is telling me.
    There were times I was able to get my left hand in correct position and get shots where they are supposed to go: so there is hope.

I really appreciated Rhino's input and him taking the time: he's quite patient and kept prodding about correct technique, which is what I need. :thumbsup:
    School is starting next week, so I won't be able to focus on this like I had my leisure to do this summer.
    But, I have dedicated alot of time while I had it to the range, training, meeting up with members, updating my guns (CZ), finding a target I really love (5 in10, and found where to order the 6 in 1 I used to use at another range, buying holsters and etc.
    Tomorrow is dedicated to car repairs on 2 different vehicles, so range time might get compromised.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    rhino is da man!

Good on you doddg, for detailing your learning process.

We men were all born knowing how to drive, screw and shoot... :rolleyes:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I highly recomend dryfire and drawsroke practice at home. No range necessary there and you can do it if you have any spare time at all. That way you put into practice what rhino taught you and you start making it part of your muscle memory and force out the bad habbits with good teqniques. I do this every single day without missing it. It has become part of my daily routine. My son likes to practice with me. He uses a dummy gun I have and sometimes his nerf or cap guns :):
    Good father son time and we both learn and get better.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    rhino is da man!

We men were all born knowing how to drive, screw and shoot... :rolleyes:

I can drive and I have a screw gun so it seems like I have the last two covered. Or were you talking about something else. :facepalm:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a very instructive time at the range with Rhino.
    We worked on the basics:
    a. how to properly load a mag (angles and grip of mag, and etc.)
    b. much time on proper grip of gun:
    1. right hand needs to be "snugged" up more (been shown that by a Rangemaster at Point Blank months ago when I was using my Glock 26 and I had immediate improvement on shot placement but obviously must consciously keep focusing on it).
    2. left hand a big issue: I do it all wrong, and doing it right is difficult b/c of learned bad grip and my accuracy suffers using correct grip since that is unfamiliar.
    c. my stance is "old school" and needs updated

Having never benefited from any correctly-trained basic shooting grip/stance techniques, hopefully I'll improve accuracy when I put into practice what Rhino is telling me.
    There were times I was able to get my left hand in correct position and get shots where they are supposed to go: so there is hope.

I really appreciated Rhino's input and him taking the time: he's quite patient and kept prodding about correct technique, which is what I need. :thumbsup:
    School is starting next week, so I won't be able to focus on this like I had my leisure to do this summer.
    But, I have dedicated alot of time while I had it to the range, training, meeting up with members, updating my guns (CZ), finding a target I really love (5 in10, and found where to order the 6 in 1 I used to use at another range, buying holsters and etc.
    Tomorrow is dedicated to car repairs on 2 different vehicles, so range time might get compromised.

1. Thank you for being safe!
    2. Thank you for being attentive and willing to try new techniques even when they didn't feel right at first.
    3. Thank you for the kind words!
    4. You did very well today. You've made a good start on the path that we're all following for the rest of our lives.
    5. Your marksmanship is excellent, especially with your CZ.
    6. You can work on much of what we discussed at home either with an unloaded gun or an inert replica. An inert replica (i.e. "blue gun") is a fantastic tool to have. You can practice your grip while you're watching television as well as use it for a lot of training and practice applications.
    7. The most important thing for getting bullets where you want them to go is to press the trigger without disturbing the alignment of the gun until the bullet has exited the barrel (aka "trigger control"). Other fundamentals are important, but they don't mean doodley unless you can maintain the alignment of the gun through the trigger press and until the bullet is on its way. That's the fundamental principle. How you apply the principle is where technique enters the picture and you have a good start on that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    rhino is da man!

1. It's therapeutic for me.

I highly recomend dryfire and drawsroke practice at home. No range necessary there and you can do it if you have any spare time at all. That way you put into practice what rhino taught you and you start making it part of your muscle memory and force out the bad habbits with good teqniques. I do this every single day without missing it. It has become part of my daily routine. My son likes to practice with me. He uses a dummy gun I have and sometimes his nerf or cap guns :):
    Good father son time and we both learn and get better.

2. Dry-firing I can see is so necessary: I can't believe what I'm doing: left, right, up, down, all over the place, it's a wonder I can hit the target at all.
    3. Rhino really brought that home.
    4. Love the father/son thing: I wish I would have kept up with guns and not sold everything when my son was young (we did the BB/pellet guns with rifles and pistols into a 5 gallon bucket in front of the garage routine) so as to have kept him into it. When he got married he was going to have a "home defense" gun, (I even bought a Taurus .357 for him: I know, bad choice, but it could have just used .38s), but his wife objected.

1. Thank you for being safe!
    2. Thank you for being attentive and willing to try new techniques even when they didn't feel right at first.
    3. Thank you for the kind words!
    4. You did very well today. You've made a good start on the path that we're all following for the rest of our lives.
    5. Your marksmanship is excellent, especially with your CZ.
    6. You can work on much of what we discussed at home either with an unloaded gun or an inert replica. An inert replica (i.e. "blue gun") is a fantastic tool to have. You can practice your grip while you're watching television as well as use it for a lot of training and practice applications.
    7. The most important thing for getting bullets where you want them to go is to press the trigger without disturbing the alignment of the gun until the bullet has exited the barrel (aka "trigger control"). Other fundamentals are important, but they don't mean doodley unless you can maintain the alignment of the gun through the trigger press and until the bullet is on its way. That's the fundamental principle. How you apply the principle is where technique enters the picture and you have a good start on that.

5. I truly "get it" and hope to go to the range today to put it into practice, but my wife has me straightening up the top of my dresser and safe, getting the gun stuff put away. :dunno:
    6. Then, I think we have to do an Aldi's run, since my wife is married to a poor school teacher. :rofl:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom