• Honest trade gone awry

• Total voters

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    So I made a trade today that really came out in my favor.... I posted my Remington 597 on Craigslist for trade... Put that I was looking for a low end 9mm.

ScreenShot_zpsde2df94d.png

I had a guy reply with send pics to such and such number....

I sent pics to him and answered any of the questions he asked.

He told me he had a kelteK folding rifle in 9mm...

I asked for pics.. he sent me a pic of a sub2000..

His next text was wana trade?

I said I would be interested.

He came down thought he had messaged on a 30/30, I told him I didnt have an ad for a 30/30 but that there was one on Craigslist.. he said oh.

Fiddled with the rifle some more, looked through the scope, played with the bolt, I explained that the 30 rd mag needed a little fitting since one of the stock bolts was replaced and a bit out of spec.. He said ok.

and then said he still wanted to trade..

now this guy is blowing up my phone with Ill be back this gun sucks..

What would you do? Is this my fault? Should I trade him back? Or is it his own stupid fault?

2013-04-17035620_zpse01d8f86.png

2013-04-17040111_zps2762a01a.png

2013-04-17040111_zps2762a01a.png

2013-04-17040153_zps933c2367.png

2013-04-17040223_zpsf8a9ec04.png

2013-04-17041440_zps68833f30.png

2013-04-17041529_zps3043ff6c.png

Last edited:

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    He is just blowing up my phone...
    where u at",
    "Do you value your job"
    "ur gun sucks",
    "i want mine back"
    "I want mine back urs sucks bad paint and all"

.... blah blah blah..

He is being an agressive douche in my text message box

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    He did say he still wanted to trade. If he was that persistent on trading, he can't really blame you. He just has to nut up and live with it if you like what you got out of it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    We're talking a $500 loss on his end. It seems heavy handed of you to prey on his ignorance, especially you surely knowing the values before hand. That is all I have to say, I offer no advice on how to proceed with that mess of your creation.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    He sounds like an absolute moron. Who arranges a meet to trade the wrong gun? Think of it this way: If you humor him he will never learn from his stupidity. Make this trade hurt and he will learn.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    We're talking a $500 loss on his end. It seems heavy handed of you to prey on his ignorance, especially you surely knowing the values before hand. That is all I have to say, I offer no advice on how to proceed with that mess of your creation.

He didn't create it. The guy knew this wasn't what he wanted, but went for it anyway. Sinner6 didn't do anything wrong here. Plus, the dude is being a total douche.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If the guy was reasonable, I'd work with him. If the guy is a douche I'd ignore him.

When somebody treats me with respect, I do the same for them and am more willing to do something for them even if it's not beneficial for me.

At the end of the day, it's up to you ... but based upon what you've said I'd just ignore him.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    He didn't create it. The guy knew this wasn't what he wanted, but went for it anyway. Sinner6 didn't do anything wrong here. Plus, the dude is being a total douche.

I am merely saying that OP knew what a 597 is worth ($100) and he knew what the Sub2000 is worth ($600), and that the other guy would be mad when he figured it out. That is brazen.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Brother, I can't tell ya what to do. You and he are both adults (I'm presuming, since you're trading firearms, LOL). So, the choice is really yours.

But, I will offer this - Since you're here asking, it would appear YOU'RE having some doubts as to whether this was a fair deal.

What's your reputation worth? Some people care about that, others see it as 'lame'. I don't know you, so I have no idea which viewpoint you hold. Whichever choice you make and relate here will determine whether I would personally ever make a deal with you. Perhaps others feel that way, as well. Dunno.

I always figure that if the other guy and I both walk away feeling like we've 'won', it's a great deal. In the long run, it's usually better for it to be a Win / Win proposition.

Sounds like the guy's a bit of a screwball. While I'm absolutely certain you can handle that sort of situation, do ya really want the headache of this guy in your life. Your choice.

From a practical standpoint, my view is "a deal's a deal".

But treating people fairly, maybe even a wee bit more than fair, always seems to work to your benefit, in the long run.

Just my take on it. Best of luck! :yesway:

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Brother, I can't tell ya what to do. You and he are both adults (I'm presuming, since you're trading firearms, LOL). So, the choice is really yours.

But, I will offer this - Since you're here asking, it would appear YOU'RE having some doubts as to whether this was a fair deal.

What's your reputation worth? Some people care about that, others see it as 'lame'. I don't know you, so I have no idea which viewpoint you hold. Whichever choice you make and relate here will determine whether I would personally ever make a deal with you. Perhaps others feel that way, as well. Dunno.

I always figure that if the other guy and I both walk away feeling like we've 'won', it's a great deal. In the long run, it's usually better for it to be a Win / Win proposition.

Sounds like the guy's a bit of a screwball. While I'm absolutely certain you can handle that sort of situation, do ya really want the headache of this guy in your life. Your choice.

From a practical standpoint, my view is "a deal's a deal".

But treating people fairly, maybe even a wee bit more than fair, always seems to work to your benefit, in the long run.

Just my take on it. Best of luck! :yesway:

Im usually of the win/win group but This highlighted above is what I was kinda wondering with this thread. if something turns out broken Ill take it back even if I didnt break it. I had a firing pin break on a SW99 that caused light strikes.. I took it back since I had been firing it...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    The burden is on him. If he didn't know the value of it, or if he didn't like it, he shouldn't have traded with you.

I'd say you're good to go, man. He's upset about the deal. That isn't your responsibility. He shouldn't be such an idiot.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Im usually of the win/win group but This highlighted above is what I was kinda wondering with this thread.

Well, if you're wondering as to your 'legal' stance on it, you two made a trade to which you both agreed, and walked away.

Pretty much, that's the end of the story UNLESS it could be somehow shown or proven that you duped or tricked him, told him that the firearm he received was in much better condition or much more valuable than it actually was, or that he was SO unknowledgeable that you took undo advantage of him.

From what you originally posted, I'd say none of that was true. Look at the values of the 2 guns. Is one worth, like 10 times more than the other? Then there COULD be such a great disparity that he could raise a legitimate issue in court over it.

Based on your response, maybe this was a bit more of an answer you were seeking.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    From what you originally posted, I'd say none of that was true. Look at the values of the 2 guns. Is one worth, like 10 times more than the other? Then there COULD be such a great disparity that he could raise a legitimate issue in court over it.

If that's so then how come dons is still in business?

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    just my 2cents...

I have been in your shoes several times due to Craigs List and E-Bay. I have a few rules when selling items. First, I never have them come to my house when I am receiving CASH or Trade for an item. I do not want them to have a place to come harass me at. Second I tell them in the e-mail, text message, and face to face all sales are final. There fore if they are upset I can just block the e-mail or number from my phone.

Now in this instance I would say TOUGH KaKa to the guy and ignore him. It is not our job as a seller to inform our customer of what he or she is buying or trading. With the WWW today it is STUPID not to get information on everything you buy or sell. I would say ignore/block this guy and have a GREAT day.

once again just my :twocents:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I am merely saying that OP knew what a 597 is worth ($100) and he knew what the Sub2000 is worth ($600), and that the other guy would be mad when he figured it out. That is brazen.

This^^ x100

There are always two sides to every story and I guarantee we aren't hearing the whole story here.

This just adds to the long list of reasons why I won't EVER do business with the OP.:noway:

Top Bottom