TOUGH question, friend needing ammo.............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Have a friend of 35+ years that recently purchased his first bottom feeding pistol in 9mm and asked where he could find ammo at the best price.
    I told him there were no "good" prices on ammo right now and gave him a 250 round bulk pack of Remington hardball Target ammo.
    Like I said, we've been trading favors back and forth for more than 35 years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And speaking of Russia, you might warn your friend he needs to buy ASAP. Grandpa shut off the spigot on imported ammo, so whats here is here. Prices are only going up from here without more cheap surplus ammo inbound.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    Thanks everyone for all the good a thoughtful replies! I decided to sell him 500 rounds of my stash and showed him where he could buy more. Once we looked at the online prices and compared the quality of ammo available, he was happy to get 500 rounds of the good stuff, and he also purchased 500 more rounds of Wolf FMJ online.
    Again, thanks to all that replied!

Last edited:

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    A few years back I did a lot of reading about the collapse in Argentina around 2000. One thing that became very obvious is that: the price paid for stock, and the markup you would normally add, meant nothing. Store owners had to radically shift there thinking to "what is the replacement cost of the stock, plus the markup I need?" Any who didn't make this shift fast enough were quickly out of business.

Around the peak of the shortages, a close friend was about to buy 500 9mm ball at insane prices. He said he'd rather give me the money, IF I would sell him some of mine. I could sell him good 9mm Hollow Point reloads for the price he was about to pay for commercial "remanufactured" ball. I would have pocketed about $400 over my component costs. He was splitting it with his adult son, and both are the type of people I want to be prepared "just in case". I did gift them a couple boxes of Speer LE Gold Dot's for 'right now.

I packaged up the amount he wanted, and then searched for a fair price online. I noticed prices falling a tad, and availability picking up a little. Because he's a friend, I told him I would honor the deal, but he was better off waiting a little while and buying online for less. I put the rounds aside for him if things didn't work out, but he ultimately found 9mm online for almost Half what he was planning to pay me. I didn't have to feel awkward 'gouging him', and he saved money. It all worked out with a little homework and patience.

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    A neighbor, who is also a good friend, that is late to the game, bought himself an AK, that came with a minimal amount of ammo, roughly 250 rounds. He has ask me if I would "consider" selling him a case of my stash. The ammo I bought some time back is super hard to find and ridiculously expensive in the current market. So, my quandary is, I really don't have a problem selling him a 1000 round case, but what is fair market value for Golden Tiger BTHP ammo? I sincerely want to be fair, but I realize the INSANE prices and availability currently. If he wasn't such a good neighbor and friend it would be an unequivocal, sorry none for sale.

OP - 350-$400 is a fair price. After the biden russia n ammo ban rush, prices have come down some. You can buy golden tiger online (rebranded) for under 40 cpr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    THE LAST 7.62 X 39 I bought was in the late 80's or early 90's...1200 rnd cases were $94 and 1000 rnd cases were $88 at the 1500 Gun Show....I should have spent my retirement nest egg on it and sold it today....hahahah...Norinco branded.

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    THE LAST 7.62 X 39 I bought was in the late 80's or early 90's...1200 rnd cases were $94 and 1000 rnd cases were $88 at the 1500 Gun Show....I should have spent my retirement nest egg on it and sold it today....hahahah...Norinco branded.

The norinco stuff goes for alot that day but the cases take up alot of room…chinese crates are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Kinda same boat , I finally up and decided to actually buy an ak a few weeks back and didn't have a single round of x39 to my name
    No biggie because I mainly shoot and reload 300blk and 556 for my ar and I've no shortage there so I'm just buying a couple boxes here and there of brass X39 ...figure atleast I can reload it (as if I needed more to reload) but with steel case as high as it is I can't see spending money on it , might as well spend 2 more bucks for brass
    I definitely wouldn't sell a case much under market value , shooting is spendy buisness these days and that's just something the neighbor needs to learn , I'm sure he'll understand

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Luckily, I had plenty of Ammo and components warehoused in 2019. When everything dried up I outfitted a few retailers so local sportsman had a source. That along with smoking 35K+ a year, and outfitting a few students I just recently had to keep everything left for me and my kids and Gr Kids. So OP, not knowing when things will get better, that’s a tough choice.

Top Bottom