• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Got to watch the totality of the eclipse from my backyard with the wife and kids and a couple friends who came by. Wow, that was actually pretty neat!

Haven't caught up with the thread, so this question was maybe already asked/answered, but did anyone else see little bright red dots underneath the moon during totality? At first there was one, and then a second bright red dot appeared shortly before totality ended. We all saw them, and conjectured that they were coronal ejections (I think that's what they're called) but I didn't remember hearing anything in advance about them being visible. I keep trying to google to see what they were, but I just keep getting generic articles that basically just give info like date/time of the eclipse, and don't say anything about red dots around the moon.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Got to watch the totality of the eclipse from my backyard with the wife and kids and a couple friends who came by. Wow, that was actually pretty neat!

Haven't caught up with the thread, so this question was maybe already asked/answered, but did anyone else see little bright red dots underneath the moon during totality? At first there was one, and then a second bright red dot appeared shortly before totality ended. We all saw them, and conjectured that they were coronal ejections (I think that's what they're called) but I didn't remember hearing anything in advance about them being visible. I keep trying to google to see what they were, but I just keep getting generic articles that basically just give info like date/time of the eclipse, and don't say anything about red dots around the moon.
    What were you drinking?

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville

Im no expert but I believe they were solar flares.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

CMEs (coronal mass ejections) I believe.

1647259285-coronal-mass-ejection-m.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Saw the same red lights. Very cool.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Im no expert but I believe they were solar flares.
    CMEs (coronal mass ejections) I believe.

1647259285-coronal-mass-ejection-m.jpg
    I just talked to another person who was in the area viewing the eclipse, and he said that since it was an arc falling back into the sun, it was technically a solar prominence, and not a CME. He had actually had a telescope set up and taken pictures through it during the totality, and was able to show me the same red dot I had seen, but through the zoomed-in telescope view you could definitely tell it was an arc shape.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You sure she isn't just wearing that to keep from seeing you in a thong again?
    I am not allowed to wear my tactical thongs in the yard anymore. I save them for tactical classes.

So no Zombies, no mass looting, no second coming, no earthquakes. I had everything ready I guess it’s time to turn the generator off.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

IMG_2710.jpeg
    My son’s friend took this from his church roof with a digital camera. If you enlarge the pic, you can see those red dots you speak of.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Traffic is up

Attachments

• IMG_2982.png
      IMG_2982.png
      1.4 MB · Views: 17
    • IMG_2983.png