• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would go Beretta 92A1 and get a 1911 at some point. Particularly since you already have some 9mm ammo.

92A1 is on my list.

You can start getting 45 ACP and later buy a nice Sig 1911. :twocents:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would go Beretta 92A1 and get a 1911 at some point. Particularly since you already have some 9mm ammo.

92A1 is on my list.

You can start getting 45 ACP and later buy a nice Sig 1911. :twocents:

The 92A1 solves some of my gripes: 1) Has removable sights, 2) Has a rail. It still has a slide mounted decocker, but it seems to be a much more modern weapon since you can at least add night sights (something we take for granted on every other pistol). The problem with the 92A1 is the cost. You can get a much nicer and newer designed gun for much less than that. Heck, the newer Beretta PX4 is basically an improved 92 (same action), and it runs under $500.

Don't get me wrong folks, I wouldn't mind owning another 92fs, and especially a 92A1. I just won't pay what they want for them, because they aren't worth it, and I wouldn't buy it to carry. The 92A1 would make a fine nightstand gun with night sights and a flashlight, whereas the 92fs is not even suited for that.

My nightstand gun is actually a PX4 currently. I should add that I have become a big fan or square slides, like the blocky Glock, because they are easier to install new sights on. Getting my PX4 to lock steady in my sight changer clamp was a nightmare! Rounded or slanted slides are something I will avoid in the future. Another thing I learned about the PX4 in this process is that its "bluing" is actually painted on, and scratches very easily.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    ​1911 gets my vote.
    colt_logo.gif

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Torn between two guns and feeling like a fool.
    Loving both of them is breaking all the rules.

Sorry, old songs just leap into my head.

Anyway, I would get the 1911 first while you have the funds and buy the cheaper gun later.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Since .45acp ammo has become pretty expensive plinking fodder, then buy a 1911 in 9mm or the 92FS.
    But if you really want a .45 1911 eventually and are stuck between the two then go with the 92FS.
    I figure that if you were really ready to buy a .45 then you wouldn't be so torn between which to buy.
    And if you stay with 9mm then you also won't need to decide right away about which .45 1911 to buy.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My vote is on the 92fs. I was a range coach in the service and enjoyed teaching Marines to shoot the M9. It felt good in my hands and very easy to score expert on the range if I had the chance to qual. I owned a 1911 and just couldn't get that feeling with my other firearms of intense joy to shoot, clean and admire. I would also throw out a vote for the 4506-1 used you can find for under 500 and feeds anything..

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unless you have bigger hands with long fingers, I would stay away from the Berreta 92. Even with thing grips, the reach is too big for me and most people I know. Therefore I recommend the 1911. Remington, Ruger and Springfield all have nice 1911s for under a grand. There are other brands out there made in the Phillipines at a good price that are quite good also.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Unless you have bigger hands with long fingers, I would stay away from the Berreta 92. Even with thing grips, the reach is too big for me and most people I know. Therefore I recommend the 1911. Remington, Ruger and Springfield all have nice 1911s for under a grand. There are other brands out there made in the Phillipines at a good price that are quite good also.

Even with bigger hands, the 92 feels a little "chunky" in the hand. I own a few 1911s, my wife owns a Taurus PT92 (not a fan of the Beretta slide mounted safety) and though its a fine pistol, its a bit thick as compared to the other pistols that either of us own, and as such, feel quite different.

If your looking for the specific model for collection purposes, go with what ever one you can find first for a good price. If you are looking for just any military 9mm, and 1911 is a definite on your list, perhaps you should look at the Hi-power. Its a perfect 9mm compliment to the 1911 in 45, and is not nearly as chunky feeling in the hand as the Beretta 92.

dunningben

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Bremen, IN
    Get a 1911 first go with a Springfield, Ruger, or a Sig. Colt's and Kimber's are nice but are expensive and there are better options for the price. Make sure you get some good mags too. Mecgar, Chip McCormick, and if you're having a mag, just get rid of it and get a new one.

As for the Beretta, chunk that idea and consider a Glock. A Glock 19 is a good choice to conceal and but for a home defense or practical/tactical solution a Glock 34/35 is a good option.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Ever fire a 1911? If so there is something special there. Spend a little more on a good one and go enjoy!

Jmtbug21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Johnson County
    Totally different grip styles. The Beretta is very thick but holds lots of 9mm rounds. The 1911 platform is thin but only holds 7-8 .45 ACP's. Beretta does not fit my hand well at all(I have medium sized hands). Everyone needs at least one 1911. They are pieces of art in my eyes. But to each his own.

Top Bottom