• ...and so much more!
  • BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Any thoughts about walking under it?
    Just borrowing an idea already presented in the book Founders.
    I really think this would be a good option.
    Out of sight, out of mind.
    If the lake is frozen, taking a boat is not an option.
    Walking across the frozen lake is an option, but very dangerous, maybe more then walking thru.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Grungy clothes and a MAC-10 under the coat. Low profile to avoid conflicts, surprise, and big firepower if needed.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Please start a new thread. I wanna hear this.
    Around Xmas I will start a holidays winter survival stories thread. I will pick a couple but the Pink Cadillac for sure and maybe the immaculate snowmobile turn. The too cold to bleed story is not bad. The hike I had to take after blizzard of 78, fairly lacklustre but real world.

For those who might think about walking across frozen lake Michigan, I lived 2 doors off the shore in Racine for a couple years. You will never see my butt on that ice traveling long distances. If I drug out pics and videos you might agree. You would be out there for days with zero shelter or fuel for fires and maybe wet at some point. If you have not spent days at a time out in the Dakotas or pulled a pulk for a few days, find another route.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have worked in Chicago, commuting from NWI for 16 years. Two Words - TRAIN TRACKS. Follow a map and walk/bike it along the tracks to the Republic of Indiana.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have worked in Chicago, commuting from NWI for 16 years. Two Words - TRAIN TRACKS. Follow a map and walk/bike it along the tracks to the Republic of Indiana.

This actually seems like a solid idea! I like it!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

#1: The shoreside tracks of what used to be the Illinois Central run from the Loop and down through what used to be "the projects". When you get down past 103rd or so you can transition to the South Shore tracks that will take you through Hammond and Gary and on to points east. The I-90 Skyway, especially the bridge, would be "safer" but quite a hike, and nowhere to go if trouble happens to find you on the elevated portions.

For myself, I'd prefer a bullpup, and a long leather trenchcoat. And I have to agree, at 12, my son would have been more of a help than a liability.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I grew up on the south side of Chicago, work in the city every day, and have driven every conceivable route between Chicago and nwi. I can't for the life of me see any reasonable scenario where a rifle would help me get home. Please enlighten me? Why have you narrowed your catalyst for such a trek as a CME? Would you choose a different rifle and sights if the grid was taken out by terrorists or a natural or man made disaster?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I would pick a Keltec carbine so I can leave it folded up and out of sight. A quick Google search shows that such an event occurred in 1989 and knocked out power in Quebec for 9 hours. First, it seems like a pretty rare event. Second, 9 hours without power isn't going to make much of an impact on our daily lives. I was in Muncie years ago when an ice storm knocked out power for 3 days. There was no looting, rioting, roving gun battles, or anything close to a situation requiring a rifle.

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Why walk into to potential trouble? Walking around will take longer but it is better to take some extra time than to have to fight you way through.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If the farmers see you as more trouble from the city, come to prowl on their property, going around could be walking into trouble too.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I think CME means "Coronal Mass Ejection".

I have no idea how I would handle anything after my eyeballs explode. With all the talk of nukes, EMPs, and terrorism I must have missed eyeball innards ejecting as something to worry about. I guess screaming in agony would be my top priority.

Top Bottom