To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Crap! Yet another MAJOR PERSONAL MALFUNCTION at a 1500. I know that it could happen to any of us at any time...wish that it did not happen here at this critical time. The press will likely make this National news.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    To those that think the 1500 should be held liable, your liberal thinking is no different than those that said the gun and ammo manufacturers should be held liable for shooting deaths. Great thinking guys!!

Everyone here is saying that the act was stupid. Did anyone here witness the accident? Fenway stated that he thought that it was a 1911. Here is a case scenario - If it was an older 1911 without the firing pin block, it could have went off due to a slam firing. He may have loaded the chamber by releasing the slide release and did not realize that his other hand was in direct line of fire. But, I do not know this to be fact, because I was not there and did not witness the incident.
    I try to be careful as to casting stones as things do come back around bite us in the rear end.

I do hope this gentleman is going to be ok and that he did learn a lesson. Criticizing someone that has had a N/D, is not going to help. Utilizing an accident like this to educate other is a valuable tool. :twocents:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you work at Wishard? Isn't that where all Indy gun shots go?

I don't work at Wishard. The serious penetrating stuff goes there but it depends where it happens and where the patient wants to go. I've seen several self-inflicted gunshots over the last few years, none of them life-threatening. One guy had a slow primer that put a bullet through both his tib/fib after he lowered the gun back down.

A hole in the hand is a hole in the hand. Doesn't really take a trauma center to fix that kind of stuff, but you have to have a hand surgeon willing to take the patient if you're in the community like I am.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't work at Wishard. The serious penetrating stuff goes there but it depends where it happens and where the patient wants to go. I've seen several self-inflicted gunshots over the last few years, none of them life-threatening. One guy had a slow primer that put a bullet through both his tib/fib after he lowered the gun back down.

A hole in the hand is a hole in the hand. Doesn't really take a trauma center to fix that kind of stuff, but you have to have a hand surgeon willing to take the patient if you're in the community like I am.
    if that's the one I am thinking of.. wow, saw him just a few minutes after it happened and he was pretty level headed considering he had a hole in his leg.
    Heard the whole story from him before EMS arrived.

Mr.Johnny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Valparaiso
    sad this is all over fb and media in a negitive way! But what would we think? it could be positive? Come on folks, respect your guns as if they are always loaded! I guess all I can say is I'm glad there was not a fatality.

RGR12

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    There is always one in every crowd. The police should have arrested this clown. Thank god he didn't put one through some ones kid.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    This gives my anti gun brother in law more ammo. He thinks we need more gun laws because too many stupid red necks own guns.
    remind your anti brother in law there were thousands of people at the gun show this weekend, one AD/ND out of thousands of people.. (news is guessing 10 thousand for the whole weekend)
    One to many but it could have been so much worse

then show him the marches that took place in all the state capitals today.. haven't heard of any incidents there... guess there aren't as many "stupid Redneck" gun owners as he thinks :dunno:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I bet after racking the slide, he was easying the hammer down one handed and it got away from him and was pointed at his other hand.

My first thought too.

In fact this practice is SO COMMON that I make sure to include a 1911 specific section in our pistol classes.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Top Bottom