• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The 'To shoot or not to shoot' thread started me thinking about how many of us have guns that we won't carry out of concern for holster wear. I didn't want to hijack that thread, so I started this one.

The one gun that I have that has never seen the inside of a holster is a Dan Wesson A2 full size. It's been shot plenty, with somewhere between 800 and 1000 rounds down the pipe, but it's never been in a holster and looks brand new. There's a bit of wear on the barrel from being shot, but that's it. Other than that, every other gun I own that can be holstered, gets holstered at some point.

Anyone else have a gun that gets shot a lot, could be carried, but that will never see EDC due to finish preservation concerns? I'm not talking about not carrying a gun because of concerns over confiscation after a shoot, but simply because you want to preserve the gun as much as possible, all while still enjoying shooting it.
    6c4dd9799705bf34eb3cece57865ee33.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I only have one EDC but I have a couple others I shoot a lot. They all have holsters that accompany the gun to the range.

But I have few guns and most are utilitarian. I remember when I took my first class with Aron Bright and I was checking out the 1911 he was using that day. It had plenty of wear indicating that he has shot it a lot.

I set a goal that day to shoot a pistol enough for it to show some use. Up to that point, all my firearms looked virtually brand new.

Now, several years later, my M&P 2.0 Compact is looking like it's been used. I like that. :)

Though the finish on the M&P is so robust that it isn't showing much wear.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That applies to a lot of the guns in the safe.

I end up getting some new Beretta, thinking it looks to nice.. then getting an import marked Italian police trade in version to carry.
    Then there are the ones that just don't make sense to carry. Single stack 380s, etc.

They all have holsters though for every pistol, even if they are the surplus Italian police holsters for them.

100_0103-jpg.254607

michelob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I never carry my Kimber. Not because it’s a safe queen. I’d just rather carry a striker-fired gun with more capacity than my Pro CDP II.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I used to say I'd never have anything I wouldn't carry and shoot. Then I got some old ones I'd shoot but wouldn't really carry. Then I got a nice one I wouldn't carry for a great price (for what it is)... unfired-looking HK P7M13.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    When a gun looks like this, you know it is a tool that is being used, and the owner is likely pretty good with it...
    1677687505720.png

When a gun looks like this, it tells me that the gun doesn't come out to play much, and to me, the owner's skills are then suspect.
    1677687649876.png

I will usually take some glamour shots of my guns when I first get them to show off on forums, but if you see me out and about my guns look nothing like my forum pics. As tools, I don't want my guns to look shiny and new. I want them to show age and experience.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    The only handguns that I don't or won't carry for SD are my hunting pistols. If I have an IWB holster or a good OWB holster I will carry at least a couple of times a year.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    IBmwFlD.jpg

You shoot and at least carry the gun a little bit for fun IMHO. Milt Sparks and TT-Gunleather make some great holsters for 1911's. My Duty Treat Dan Wesson's finish was borderline indestructible, but that's DLC for you
    What model is that holster? Looking for leather for my C2.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When a gun looks like this, you know it is a tool that is being used, and the owner is likely pretty good with it...
    View attachment 259221

When a gun looks like this, it tells me that the gun doesn't come out to play much, and to me, the owner's skills are then suspect.
    View attachment 259223

I will usually take some glamour shots of my guns when I first get them to show off on forums, but if you see me out and about my guns look nothing like my forum pics. As tools, I don't want my guns to look shiny and new. I want them to show age and experience.
    I'm not talking about being afraid to use it, im talking about not letting it accumulate carry patina. I've owned plenty of worn duty guns that look like they were carried daily for years but were pristine inside. I'm talking about the opposite here. A gun that you shoot a lot yet are protective of the finish. I have many other 1911s for carry, and as much as I love the carry patina on my DW A2 Commander, I also love the matte blue finish as delivered on the full-size A2

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not talking about being afraid to use it, im talking about not letting it accumulate carry patina. I've owned plenty of worn duty guns that look like they were carried daily for years but were pristine inside. I'm talking about the opposite here. A gun that you shoot a lot yet are protective of the finish. I have many other 1911s for carry, and as much as I love the carry patina on my DW A2 Commander, I also love the matte blue finish as delivered on the full-size A2
    The thought that crosses my mind, are the huge oversized target 22 pistols..

Something like a Beretta 76 Target, Beretta 89, or the newer Neos..

Or High standard, etc..

These things often never even have a holster that will fit them..

687fd73b162e67af9f8b46a7f139e05f.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What model is that holster? Looking for leather for my C2.

At the time the only leather IWB holster for a P with optic , now Milt Sparks makes a few with a reinforced mouth that I much prefer. Still have 7 months to wait.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I have a few I don’t plan on ever carrying, but these are the two I know for certain I’ll never carry.

The first is a S&W 39-2 that my mom bought my dad as a gift in the early 80s. He carried it for years and it’s the handgun I learned to shoot with, but it’s strictly an heirloom at this point.

The second is a first-year import Browning BDA .45 (Sig P220). It’s probably my most prized possession so I plan to keep it in pristine condition. It’s really a shame, because my P220 Legion pales in comparison.

4F133476-63CB-4268-A083-3A0BCEEBED84.jpeg

69CD959F-D8B7-40EC-9A73-F7192CE8532B.jpeg

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    I have to admit there are a couple of 1911’s I have not carried. Not certain why, just do not think about it. I guess I have a few that were built or bought specifically for carry and were
    Shot and tested For that purpose. So I do not avoid carrying them, just do not.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I only have two pistols that I get shot a lot that I will never carry they are both a beautiful blue that just shine in the sunlight, really nothing special I just like.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This thread is not about whether or not to carry any gun, but moreover about whether you have a gun that you choose to not carry, but shoot a lot.
    He's a runner at best, more likely a troll. And he may already be gone. He is filling up the threads with useless posts.

Top Bottom