• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    OK, I flubbed it.

Thought 160 was the min for some "Honorable Mention" deal, that it took 170 min to get in "The Book".

If one has a deer in HRBP would they fork over the $40 for B&C and then dump another $40 for their book?

To get in HRBP one still had to have it officially scored, so it got what it got.

Over 10 yrs later it seems a little "late" to put one in.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Personal choice..

160 is a B & C requirement but it only gets listed for 3 years , I think. The 170 stays in

I would never put an animal in a book of any sort ...unless it was a money producing world record. ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm much more interested in getting a 125 net with recurve.
    But wondered if I was kinda sorta selling the deer short by not listing him.
    He is in HRBP, figured that good enough, but then thought maybe not.

Still for all the time and $ spent over the years, it'd be nice to have an antler yield greater than what I have ;)

Maybe one B&C, and one P&Y and then quit and take up golf.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not happy with mount, need to pop a 140-160 class (might never happen) to euro mount and then use cape for this guy.
    Get a nicer mount done, the B&C score plaque would look good under him.

picture.php

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    I'm much more interested in getting a 125 net with recurve.
    But wondered if I was kinda sorta selling the deer short by not listing him.
    He is in HRBP, figured that good enough, but then thought maybe not.

Still for all the time and $ spent over the years, it'd be nice to have an antler yield greater than what I have ;)

Maybe one B&C, and one P&Y and then quit and take up golf.

If you take up golf can you put me on your hunting ground? I promise I will let you come over and look at any trophy I take anytime you wat to. :D

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have booked animals but don't any longer as point and click fenced hunts have more or less killed it for me. I cull hunt an enclosure in Mississippi every year and see multiple whitetail that would go all time, that are docile enough to kill with a hammer. The same for Elk, in an enclosure in Canada. Knowing guys are putting those up as 'trophies' puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

Every year in the open field I run across pronghorn that would book. I just came back from a hunt in AK where my partner put down a bighorn that would book, and mine came close. But not one I hunt with bothers.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Excellent buck!!

Any good taxidermist can get you a new cape. Not cheap though..

Thanks, took him in '99.

If I Frankenstein him it'll be with a cape from another buck I took. I let a 145" net buck walk, watched him for 45 mins in gun season, in the rain, a couple of yrs later........just didn't have the heart to blast him.

I was trying hard to get that deer with my bow, and nuking him for the cape more than the meat didn't sit right.

Of course, when I left and got to the Jeep I noticed that I chewed up the walnut forend of my 870 SP......evidently watching him through the scope, back and forth, the gun worked its way off the sling and was grinding into a staple on the top of the wooden fence post.

Never saw that buck again to teach him a lesson.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you take up golf can you put me on your hunting ground? I promise I will let you come over and look at any trophy I take anytime you wat to. :D

That place got sold a few yrs back.

Seen nice ones other places, but I put in a lot more miles and $ to see fleeting glimpses way out.

Golf.............I'll suck at it too I'm sure.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    Animal craft taxidermy in avon is the best I have ever seen. but as in most cases you get what you pay for. this one has really long hair but he still makes him look great!
    picture.php

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My kids could care less................now.

Yrs ago when my oldest was maybe 6 (that then 14 yrs ago)...........I went bowhunting.

Got home and she asked me if I got a deer. I said no, and she said "I'm still proud of you daddy".

Think that was on a Sat. Hunted Sun AM, got home and she asked again if I got a deer.
    I said no and I got the same "I'm still proud of you daddy" line. Squeaky voice, mop of curly hair. Cutie, made me smile.

Next weekend, I go out, drizzle jacked my video camera at first light. Was messin with it and saw an 8pt. Smoked him with a 2315 XX75 and Spitfire.

Hunting spot 45 mins away, I was home with the deer in the back of the truck, by around 9:30 am.

Kid at kitchen table, eating cereal. Younger sis with her, mom making juice or something.
    Nobody said a word, me standing there in camo.

I waited and waited and then asked my oldest, if she had something to ask me?
    She asked rather flatly this time, and I said "yup" and the place went berzerk..........kids screaming, running, stuff getting knocked off the table, even the old lady ran out to the K5 to see what I got.

Pretty cool.

Kid about choked me to death when I held her up to see him.

Man kids grow up quick.

Justin Bieber might get that kind of response at my house now, but no deer will.

Top Bottom