• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Just read this in the legal section on AR15.com.

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Receiver Sales are 21+ ONLY - Effective 11-15-08

This really sucks, saying I was planning on getting several lowers from the group buy.

I turn 21 in June, lets just see how high the prices of AR15 lowers will be in June :rolleyes:

Who the hell is passing these laws anyways? Guess I'll have time to build my new uppers.
    :twocents:

Who in the Indy area has lowers in stock for 125 and under? I know I saw lowers at the 1500 for around that price.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    No laws have changed, the ATF's interpretation has :rolleyes:

I turn 21 in August, so I'll have to make due with my 1 lower I've got left til then :xmad:

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    *Sigh* I remember being younger than 21. Sometimes I forget that I'm not anymore, and that's usually when I end up hurting my back (or my knees, or...).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't know. Since it's not till the 15th, I don't see that there'd be a huge problem with someone who is 21+ purchasing lowers now and holding them, selling them private party to someone who is presently under 21 only after that birthday. It's not a straw purchase, I don't think, so long as it's not delivered until 21+, and that allows the better deal to be made now. In fact, (01 FFLs, please correct me if I am mistaken)I would think that if you paid the FFL for it now and got a receipt for the money, you could bring in the paid receipt and pick up your receiver after 11/15 and after the birthday in question and still be legal. That's win/win: You get the good deal you want, the FFL gets the money now and delivers the product later, and ATF has no dog in the fight because their interpretation of the law has not been violated.

Blessings,
    B

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I know this is an old thread- it was listed under a thread I was reading.

You can buy an AR15 receiver as a rifle.

Under 21 means you can't buy a pistol. You never could. The ATF didn't change laws OR interpretations. The "interpretation" always was that if you are under 21 you cannot buy a pistol through an FFL. So don't expect your FFL to transfer any AR receiver to you unless it is sold as a rifle.

Same rules as always.

When your teacher in school rephrased or repeated something in a way that you would understand, did you call her/him ****ing stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Under 21 means you can't buy a pistol. You never could. The ATF didn't change laws OR interpretations. The "interpretation" always was that if you are under 21 you cannot buy a pistol through an FFL. So don't expect your FFL to transfer any AR receiver to you unless it is sold as a rifle.

Same rules as always.

Understand this - we are not (NOT) going to rehash the same arguments and bickering from the thread on this topic I just closed, or this thread will meet the same fate.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yep I sure hope not. I found this one before that one was closed. These guys seemed to have a sensible discussion going on. I thought I'd respond with facts here and not any opinion that got people confused last time.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    21 and pistols

my guess on the 21 age limit might be that since you can have an AR in a pistol, maybe that is why it's 21 cuz i think you have to by 21 for pistol anythings.

A FFL cannot sell a handgun to any individual under the age of twenty one but a person over 18 and under 21 can buy a handgun in a FTF deal as long as the buyer and seller follows the rules for any gun sale.

Because a AR lower receiver can be made into a pistol the FFL can only sell a complete lower that includes a rifle stock, period.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    A Lower is a "receiver". The exception for purchasing firearms under the age of 21 from an FFL only applies to the purchase of Rifles and shotguns specifically. Therefore, a receiver is not an exemption. The old 4473s didn't have the "Receiver" check box for the type of firearm being bought, so most FFLs would put AR lowers as "Rifle".

Top Bottom