• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm no engineer, not even close, so forgive my ignorance on the question I'm about to ask.

Would it be a bad idea in any way to use a titanium mount on the back of a stainless steel suppressor? I know titanium expands much less than stainless steel given similar temperatures so I wasn't sure if this should only be used on a titanium can.

My only concern was the steel expanding much more than the mount threads and possibly working its way off the threads easier?

I was going to use it to shave a hair more weight off the end but if this is at all a possibility I'll just buy a other stainless mount instead until I maybe wind up with a titanium can later.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    If you think about it, the threaded part of a can, when heated, should contract onto the barrel threads/mount since the heat starts inside the can. Until heat transfers to the outside of the can, it should remain dimensionally stable. Or not.

That said, titanium is a brittle metal when work hardened, so you may want to reconsider hanging the mass of a non-titanium can on a TI mount. Eventually that mount will become a weak point.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The differential in thermal expansion rates may work against you from an accuracy standpoint - but it sounds like this is a hunting gun so I'm not entirely sure that'll really make much of a difference. 1-3 shots max?

I'd be more worried about galvanic corrosion than anything.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was under the impression that most titanium suppressors still had steel blast chamber baffle or inconel and same for the mounting hardware. I suppose since it's not serialized and you can replace it yourself that if you don't care how long it lasts that titanium would be fine but unnecessarily expensive for the 1/2 oz you're saving.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    My Form1 can is all 100% Ti except the first two cones that are SS.
    Once is is cooled down...I have never had an issue opening for cleaning.
    (knocks on wood)

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I was under the impression that most titanium suppressors still had steel blast chamber baffle or inconel and same for the mounting hardware. I suppose since it's not serialized and you can replace it yourself that if you don't care how long it lasts that titanium would be fine but unnecessarily expensive for the 1/2 oz you're saving.
    It's a 2 ounce difference and only about $25 difference. That's good money for 2 ounces off the end in my eyes. I've spent a lot more to save a lot less weight.

The differential in thermal expansion rates may work against you from an accuracy standpoint - but it sounds like this is a hunting gun so I'm not entirely sure that'll really make much of a difference. 1-3 shots max?

I'd be more worried about galvanic corrosion than anything.

Sorry, not sure what made it sound that way but this is not a hunting gun or I wouldn't care because as you said, it would be just a few shots and never get hot enough to matter.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Your biggest worry has nothing to do with the expansion rates. The biggest issue with titanium is galling. It is unlikely you're going to have problems with the can expanding more than the mount to the point it gets loose though it is a valid concern. You'll have to get it pretty hot to make it a real problem though.
    On the other hand a lot of stainless has problems with galling and all titanium does. The simple solution is to insure you use a good thread anti-seize to keep it from happening. In reality both the stainless and ti will gall with themselves as much or more than with other metals but these two together are good candidates. Use anti-seize. I like the nickel type because we used it on aircraft for its lower galvanic corrosion issues. Copper works good too. I think the concern about galvanic corrosion on a suppressor is something you'll never have to worry about, especially with stainless and ti.

Frank

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Now I wish I paid more attention taking Thermo at Purdue. I don't think the expansion coefficient would be large enough for there to be a functional difference as a suppressor mount. In terms of molecular theory, yes it does expand at a different speed than steel, but it also dissipates heat differently than steel as well. It shouldn't seize any more than a steel mount, just my :twocents:

Feel free to ignore me since I only got a C in thermo and it took me 2 tries.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Now I wish I paid more attention taking Thermo at Purdue. I don't think the expansion coefficient would be large enough for there to be a functional difference as a suppressor mount. In terms of molecular theory, yes it does expand at a different speed than steel, but it also dissipates heat differently than steel as well. It shouldn't seize any more than a steel mount, just my :twocents:

Feel free to ignore me since I only got a C in thermo and it took me 2 tries.
    That was my experience with math 224. Withdrawal pass after my second exam with a two test average of 13%.

Top Bottom