• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Anyone that knows me knows I have a unhealthy obsession with large caliber rifle's. My currant tinker toy is a Henry 45-70. While it's not my AR50 it's (to me) considered large caliber. And I love to shoot it. About the only thing I can say that I wish the gun had was a longer barrel. The 45-70 round is worthy of it. I am surprised Henry did not go longer then 18.5 inches.

Has anyone re-barreled newer Henry? I can't tell if it is a press fit or a threaded barrel. I'd guess a press fit. Regardless, it's a job I am most likely not capable of. I'd love to see it with a 24 inch barrel. I can't find any onfo on re-barreling the rifle. I could always call Henry but I thought it would make a good post topic.

To those that hate the ideal, no need to post negatively. It's my ideal. Good or bad. And it may never even happen. But I am compelled to ask questions!

Thanks for taking the time to read this post!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I don't play with the newer stuff typically, but I agree that the 45-70 would benefit from a longer than 18.5" barrel. Simply loading the 45 colt for deer requires a fairly slow powder. I can't imagine getting the full benefit in such a short space. Calling Henry might be a good way to find out about barrel fit though. I wouldn't have any qualms about threading a new barrel on one, but press fit...... Could probably do it with a lathe even, I just don't know I'd want that liability. Headspace issues if it loosened a bit, etc.
    Jim

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for the comments Jim. Yeah, I think a call to Henry is in my future. Maybe for a fee they'd fit a custom barrel? I'll check. It looks press fit. Or the thread length is no longer then needed. It's a octagon barrel. If it is threaded there is some kind of cool barrel indexing going on.

It was one of the first 1k yard plus rounds. It's just to cool a round. I am not going to hunt with it so barrel length/weight doesn't matter. they used 32+ inch barrels back in the day. I don't want anything near that. 24" just seems right for the benches I shoot from. So that would be my target length if I do get it done. I'll let you know what I find out from Henry.

Jim, you thread barrels? Chamber etc?

Larry

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Love me a 45-70!!
    I think Id go with the 32" if it were me. We shoot the 45-70 single shot off hand regular at cowboy long range. A course the down fall of the longer barrel is all the extra weight. Good luck in your endeavor.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Headspace wouldn't work loose if it was pinned after being pressed into place.

Is there a pin in there now? If not I bet its threaded in. Hell my money is on it being threaded regardless.

I vote 26 inch barrel.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    IndyGunworks, I did not see a pin "but" I wasn't closely looking for one. I might just give it another serious look. I am sure they'd hide it well. Second look time. And you guys are sure enticing me to go even longer! 32 maybe not so much but 26 hum.... sound great!I guess you go big or go home!

I'll take it apart again and look closer. Maybe get a few photo's of it.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Can't find a schematic right off for the H010, but the H001 model is pinned. The diagram from the H009 doesn't specify the attachment method; I would guess either they don't show a pin on the diagram for liability reasons, or it's threaded with maybe a crush washer for timing or similar.

H009:
    Henry H009.JPG

H001:
    HenryRepeatingArms_SeriesH001_schem.jpg

Henry's manuals are long on "style" and all that CAUTION crap up front, but short on actual details.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I learned a little more about my rifle today:

I just got off the phone with Henry. It's "pinned". This complicate things for me. It becomes even less a DIY project. I'll have to see if I can fine someone capable and willing to do it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Can't find a schematic right off for the H010, but the H001 model is pinned. The diagram from the H009 doesn't specify the attachment method; I would guess either they don't show a pin on the diagram for liability reasons, or it's threaded with maybe a crush washer for timing or similar.

H009:
    View attachment 28050

H001:
    HenryRepeatingArms_SeriesH001_schem.jpg

Henry's manuals are long on "style" and all that CAUTION crap up front, but short on actual details.

Thanks for taking the time to find and look it over. They haven't posted the info on there website for the H010 yet. The website is way behind. I have the manual that came with mine. Somewhere!

And Henry does no custom work :-(

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    We do it all the time when we build AK's. It's not that hard to set the headspace right and drill in the pins. What would complicate this project is if you tried to install a pulled barrel with significantly different headspacing than your own rifle.

I assume Henry's lock on the receiver, so the barrel can be slid in and out to set the headspace, but if the hole for the pin is already drilled off-center from the proper position, the barrel could/will shift and throw off your headspace. On a "normal" barrel, you could just rotate and compensate for this, but a pulled barrel would already have the dovetails cut for the sights and would look weird having two sets of cuts set 90* from each other.

If you want to do this, I think a virgin barrel would definitely be the way to go. If you can't source virgin barrels, an octagonal barrel black should be pretty easy to turn down the breech to fit your receiver.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seems to me that the best way to make sure headspace is right is to get a short-chambered barrel (or a rifled blank) and ream it to the proper length after installation....I'm sure that's what Larry Potterfield would do. More custom work, but the outcome would be great.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    That sounds like an interesting project, if you decide to undertake it. I have a Winchester 1886 from Davidson's. They had a small run a few years ago with 26" half round half octagon barrel (w/ full length mag tube). It is the takedown model with deluxe wood. Beautiful rifle. The 26" barrel is a good size. A 32" single-shot is not quite the same and cannot be compared. The action on an 1886 is pretty long and the gun shoots several rounds instead of just one. You will be standing and working the lever while shooting. My High Wall has a 30" barrel and sitting in the safe it is only about 2" taller than the 1886. You are right in thinking the 32" barrel would be too unwieldy.

Also consider a tang peep sight. It increases the sight radius, makes sighting easier, and the most important part; it is very cool. Marbles is adjustable for windage and is a good choice. That's what I have on my 1886. Good luck with your project.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Give this guy a call, he's class 2 manufacturer and this should be a piece of cake for him-
    John Strang 574-250-9509 tactical component
    6680 sr331 south. Bremen IN 46506

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Give this guy a call, he's class 2 manufacturer and this should be a piece of cake for him-
    John Strang 574-250-9509 tactical component
    6680 sr331 south. Bremen IN 46506

Red, thanks for the lead. It's not that far south of me. I will check with him. I am now leaning towards a 26 inch barrel now.

Whip, I bought a set of Skinner Express sights. What a difference over the stock buck horns.

Thanks for the tips guys. much appreciated! I'll get back to you with my findings.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Red, thanks for the lead. It's not that far south of me. I will check with him. I am now leaning towards a 26 inch barrel now.

Whip, I bought a set of Skinner Express sights. What a difference over the stock buck horns.

Thanks for the tips guys. much appreciated! I'll get back to you with my findings.

I would expect around 175 in labor not including cutting the front dovetail.... plus parts.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I can do the dovetail but would rather have a one stop shop! That's for sure. I didn't have any ideal on cost. That's within my budget. I'll call and see what he says. Thanks Indy

Looks like a barrel blank is $300-400 This guy might have a better source.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I can do the dovetail but would rather have a one stop shop! That's for sure. I didn't have any ideal on cost. That's within my budget. I'll call and see what he says. Thanks Indy

Looks like a barrel blank is $300-400 This guy might have a better source.

not much of a dealer discount on barrels... they are priced with very little markup.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have a JM stamped Marlin 1885 Cowboy in 45-70 with a 26" barrel, full length tube and the Skinner "Alaskan" sights. It is a great shooter.

I really like the 26" barrel idea, but are you going to extend the mag tube as well? I think it might look a little out of place with a nice long barrel and a short tube.

Top Bottom