• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    Do any of you work in timber industry in indiana? I have recieved 3 letters from different timber buyers wanting to talk about cutting my woods.I have never been through this process.I know most of the people I have talked to say beware of these guys. Any input? The woods was last logged in 1974 ,I know it must be done to help the undergrowth grow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    If you are getting interest from log buyers, and you're interested in cutting, talk to a private consultant forester in your area. These are NOT the same people that are inquiring about your woods. The DNR has a listing of consultsnts available on their website. A consultant can help you determine the best course of management for your woods, mark only the trees that should be cut/you want to sell, and facilitate a sale and contract that meets your objectives and protects you. He/she will also work with the loggers for you to ensure they are doing a proper job with knowledge of the practice you will not necessarily have.

Many, if not most loggers can do a good job following this process (where a consultant is in place). However, when there are no controls and they pick the trees themselves, the results are often (but not always) less than satisfying on a number of levels. Worst case scenarios involve destroying the woods now and for decades to come, you not getting nearly what the tinber is worth, and potentially having property lines disregarded resulting in timber theft on your neighbor's property.

Markets are really hot right now after having been way down for several years, also fueling interest. Working with a good consultant to have a sale will more than make up for what he charges you for his services.

Also be aware that a proper harvest usually involves some form of timber stand improvement (TSI) done as a follow up to help prepare the woods to regenerate quicker and more vigorously (and with greater value) for the next cutting cycle. It does cost you money to do or have done, but it is worth it in the long run and some federal funding may be available to assist you with it if you inquire.

You can also talk to a district forester with the DNR at no charge for some advice and assistance with finding a consultant. They can answer many of the questions you may have and will ask you about any interest you might have in their own Classified Forest program as well. For your area, the contact information is as follows:
    Hank Hefner
    5400 E Salamonie Forest Road
    Lagro, IN 46941
    (260) 782-0430

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Watch them like a hawk! Some of them will outright rob you blind and even cut trees down you did not authorize. Put it in your contract that if they take unauthorized trees then they owe you 5x in damages. They cut NOTHING outside marked boundaries. Make sure you know your property line (legally). Call around and get an idea what each species going for. Have multiple timber buyers come out and give you an estimate.

Im doing a select cut on my woods this year.... 50-60ft+ wild cherry :alright:

sassy lassy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Elizabeth
    I've gone through this 4 times. You really should have your trees marked by a forester and if the volume of trees is sufficient, have a sealed bid sale. I'm getting ready to do my 5th sale. It won't be very large, but since the previous ones were done with proper management of my timber, I should still do fairly well for the few trees that I'm selling. Good luck!

Top Bottom