• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Response from "the woman" who met with Annie.

This is the "woman" who met up with Annie yesterday to have a bit of "hands on" time with her Kimber before possibly pursuing one for myself. I'm replying under my husband's post.

First of all, thank you Annie for your time and patience with myself and with those two "men". The search for the proper gun for me isn't easy.

I would only like to say a few things based on this experience. First of all, I would think that any person (man/woman) would agree that I am going about finding a gun, that I fit, in the right way. I am not the woman who has to have the biggest or baddest gun out there. I need to be able to carry this with confidence and know how to use it if the need arises. I know there is a gun out there that I fit well, and perhaps that is a revolver, but I would like to make that decision on my own. I have never shot a revolver, only semi-automatics. When I am not pregnant (on #2), I weigh an average of 145 lbs. and stand 5'6" tall. So I like to dress like a girl, and finding one I can hide on myself is proving to be a task. I will take all the advice I get and weight it for myself.

I have already proven myself in my accuracy and precision at the range numerous times. I dont believe I have missed the paper at the range ever, and from what my husband tells me, I am a better shot than him. (I know telling you that is different than proving it, and one day maybe I will have that chance.) :):

Anyway, in comparison to this experience is an experience I am all too familiar with. My husband and I home brew beer in our garage! It's a favorite among our friends. The same mentality exists among home brewing groups too. I have had the struggle of listening to "men" basically tell me in so many different ways that I need to just stay out of the process and let my husband handle it. Or "our" beer is always described as being "his" beer, not "our" beer. My favorite response is not only a point maker but a silent point maker, they just taste "our" beer! :40oz:

And along the lines of someone making a decision for me, if I ask for a beer and you bring me a Coors light, you better stand back! I want something with FULL flavor, preferably the hoppiest IPA there is! In other words, I know what I like, and it usually isn't the "normal" woman taste either. (No offense to those who like Coors - I like it on a hot summer day after I have mowed the lawn.)

Anyway, I know some of that was unrelated, but I thought my point was made. Thank you to all of you who stuck up for Annie, she was wonderful to meet yesterday and had TONS of great info for me. I'm not sure that the Kimber is for me based on it's size. But I will have fun "testing" out other guns and meeting wonderful (and not so wonderful) people out there while I am doing it!

Thank you again,
    Carrie

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Carrie:

Kudos on doing the research. My wife is on the hunt for a carry gun as well and it seems to be coming down to what feels best in her hand in a respectable caliber (which is EXACTLY how I made my carry choice). The only bad choice would be not to carry at all.

It's nice you were able to get some time with Annie's Kimber to see how you like it. INGOers are a great and giving bunch and this sort of 'try before you buy' is one of the best benefits of membership.

Annie:
    Kudos on taking the time and also on your restraint! This all leads me to two questions...

1. What part of "don't tease a woman with a .45" didn't they understand???

2. Were you OC or CC on the spork?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I know there is a gun out there that I fit well, and perhaps that is a revolver, but I would like to make that decision on my own.

Carrie, you stick with that, and you'll be in great shape. NOBODY has enough experience to tell you otherwise. Welcome to INGO. There are several gun shows within 40 minutes of you this month, and one at the Coliseum next month for you to handle all the handguns yer happy little hands can tolerate....... when you find something that feels good, and want to shoot it, let folks here know, and there's a good chance you'll come up with one to shoot before you buy.

Shopping for guns is great fun....... :yesway:

Regards......

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm not sure that the Kimber is for me based on it's size. But I will have fun "testing" out other guns and meeting wonderful (and not so wonderful) people out there while I am doing it!
    Carrie
    Thanks for the kind words and I sure hope you find something that suits you - no matter which kind it turns out to be.
    The only other thing that really tweaked me about those guys is the Glock pusher.:rolleyes: I have no idea why he would (on one hand) say that a semi-auto was too complicated and then (on the other hand) Glock bait. What's up with that??:laugh:
    Seriously, revolvers are fine if that's what you feel comfortable with and if they are heavy enough to absorb a lot of the recoil that you don't want to experience, that's great. But don't ever let anyone tell you that you're relegated to ONLY revolvers because you're a chick and they would be too complicated for your widdle itty bitty bwains.:rolleyes:
    I sent your hubby Jay's contact info so whenever you're ready, he's got tons of stuff you can try out.:yesway:
    He's a good guy.
    2. Were you OC or CC on the spork?
    It was contained in tactical plastic in my concealed glove box.:cool:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Shoot I know of 2 elderly ladies around here they would just love to meet. The 1st is in her upper 70's and carries her husbands service .45, done him good during the war should do me just fine attitude to go with it. The other carries a Colt SAA in .45 Colt with like a 5" barrel. It was what her dad carried when he had to dispose of trash... Both of them will shoot the wings off of fly's with them...

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Sir, I'll take a bit of exception to that statement.

Yes, 1911's are heavy, but that tends to reduce the perceived recoil, and allow some WOMEN to shoot them a bit better than some revolvers... uh, might check with Annie on this.......

Any firearm will rust without some care and cleaning...

No handgun that I'm aware of comes with "proficiency included"...... YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE TO BECOME PROFICIENT.......

If you lack the muscle memory to operate your handgun without having to think through every step, you might consider a few hundred more hours of practice. I haven't had to think about how to operate any of my 1911's in over 30 years.

There's a trade-off attached to every handgun that's sold. If there were a perfect gun, all of us would own it....... since there isn't, we can all employ our own preferences, and that's the way it should be. I prefer 1911's...... and I've taught for over 30 years, and have NEVER suggested that any person buy anything other than what's comfortable for them. Enough practice to spawn proficiency will allow any shooter to shoot almost any handgun that he/she chooses, regardless of gender.

Just my two cents ;)

I understand that line of thinking, however, Most people won't train itha gun, The low precentage of indiana residents that actually get a CCW, I am willing to bet a moajority of them are content carrying the gun half the time, and that a good majority of people that carry almost always still carry with just the loaded gun, no speedloaders or extra magazines. I also understand that the majority of CCW holders Iencounter due to time constraints, and expense of ammo shoot less then 50 rounds a month. THey don't and won't spend hours praticing reloads, or even drawing a gun from a holster. So the added complication go a 1911 oer a glock or a springfeild XD or similar pistol boggles me. TEaching most shooters a proper grip is hard enough, no add in the nescesity of proper grip in a stressfull situation, because of a grip saftey. The extra step of a thumb saftey? wy does this make sense? why not just draw and shoot? I won't knock you 1911 guys to hard, IF it works for you fine, but keep in mind how much practice an maintainence needs to be devoted to that platfor before it become a reliable defensive gun. I firmly beleive that most CCW holders are not dedicated enough to practice, let alone carry 24/7.

And yes ever gun can rust, but a glock or an XD can be neglected a lot longer then a blued 1911, or do they have some magical property that prevents them from rusting, because Jeff Cooper liked them?

I hardly ever recommend revolvers to people especially airweight snubbies, like other mentioned, they reoil is harsh and they are loud, accuracy is difucult. All three of those things in my limited experience have been detterents to practice.

After reading through the rest of the thread I beelive the "woman" in question has it figured out. That she needs to find something that fits her, and she can actualy carry with the way she deresses, I curently ave sig P220, A P226 ( with just th .22 lr conversion) a beretta 92 FS, a Glock 25 and a Glock 19 SHe can Pm as I am near fort wayne if she is interested in trying any of those guns.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I firmly beleive that most CCW holders are not dedicated enough to practice, let alone carry 24/7.

with that, I rest my case..... thank you for proving my point.........

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    ...and you gotta watch out for them...:cool:

:popcorn:

Why? This is the internet, I come for education, I have found the best way is ti aggravate people, they don't hold back at that point and I learn faster, kinda like learning to ride a bike but starting without training wheels/

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Why? This is the internet, I come for education, I have found the best way is ti aggravate people, they don't hold back at that point and I learn faster, kinda like learning to ride a bike but starting without training wheels/
    Wait...you were trying to aggravate him? Jay??
    :lmfao:

Oh young padawan...much to learn, there is.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Wait...you were trying to aggravate him? Jay??
    :lmfao:

Oh young padawan...much to learn, there is.

Aggravate and **** of are two different levels, and should exact wo different responses, I didn't flame the 1911 after all, whic I am entirely capable of doing, I'm just trying to get im to speak his mind without sugar coating it.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Let's see.... no sugar coating......

"Most people won't train itha gun" "itha" ? If they don't train, that casts NO aspersions on any firearm, and makes any preferences no longer releveant.

"The low precentage of indiana residents that actually get a CCW, I am willing to bet a moajority of them are content carrying the gun half the time, and that a good majority of people that carry almost always still carry with just the loaded gun, no speedloaders or extra magazines. I also understand that the majority of CCW holders Iencounter due to time constraints, and expense of ammo shoot less then 50 rounds a month. "

If you can back that up with stats, I'll discuss it. If not ...

" So the added complication go a 1911 oer a glock or a springfeild XD or similar pistol boggles me."

Reading that sentence allows me to understand why you would become boggled.

"TEaching most shooters a proper grip is hard enough, no add in the nescesity of proper grip in a stressfull situation, because of a grip saftey. The extra step of a thumb saftey? wy does this make sense? "

Teaching grip is easy. Becoming proficient with your grip requires practice, and we've already been there. Proper grip should be employed on EVERY firearm. The grip safety (s a f e t y) is engineered into the 1911, and activates when the firearm is gripped. (no practice required) Activation of the thumb safety is..... well, my 7 year old grandson has mastered it very well. He'll be happy to show you if you like.

"why not just draw and shoot? "

Having any practice history at all, would lead one to understand that it REQUIRES PRACTICE. But we've already been there.

"I wo n't knock you 1911 guys to hard, IF it works for you fine, but keep in mind how much practice an maintainence needs to be devoted to that platfor before it become a reliable defensive gun."

None of my 1911's have EVER required any rapair. I shoot 'em, then I clean 'em. They have been 100% reliable for over 3000 rounds each, and in a couple of cases, well over 7000 rounds.

Sir.... AGAIN...PRACTICE IS NOT CONNECTED TO A PLATFORM, It enables any shooter to cause his/her self, and his/her chosen platform to perform in such a manner as to perhaps save his/her life.

" I firmly beleive that most CCW holders are not dedicated enough to practice, let alone carry 24/7. "

Been there already......

"And yes ever gun can rust, but a glock or an XD can be neglected a lot longer then a blued 1911, or do they have some magical property that prevents them from rusting, because Jeff Cooper liked them?"

I refuse to have a neglect contest with any of my firearms. Ludicrous statement, and a rediculous question..... dismissed out of hand.

"I hardly ever recommend revolvers to people especially airweight snubbies, like other mentioned, they reoil is harsh and they are loud, accuracy is difucult. All three of those things in my limited experience have been detterents to practice. "

Sir, your limited experience shows..... trust me.

"After reading through the rest of the thread I beelive the "woman" in question has it figured out. That she needs to find something that fits her, and she can actualy carry with the way she deresses,"

You are correct, that's what she said....

home brew girl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is the "woman in question" again. I decided to join on my own and not post under my husband's account.

I have to tell you all that this has made my day fly by! I have enjoyed "listening" to everyone regarding their opinions on all the topics this has spurred. I'm glad that my husband encouraged me to sign up, hopefully I can educate myself a lot more about different guns and which I might fit better.

Jeremiah, we might take you up on your offer to "try" out what you've got.

Thanks!
    Carrie :40oz:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Semper Fi.... :patriot:

well, you know what they say about age and treachery.... beats youth and brashness every time.......

Top Bottom