• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    He talked with a couple people outside then left. Stick around and engage others in the conversation, don't just leave, find out who is in charge ( the person who's name the building is in) so many of you guys say "take a stand", so why not take a stand?

Cowering to some busybody and a sherriff isn't standing up for yourself.

And causing a potential scene at his wifes family gathering seems to make so much more sense.

The OP just said there was not a crowd around so what would be the point in disarming to argue.

The only thing he could have done differently and I am sure he has thought about this, maybe even mentioned it, would have been to tell the Deputy to ask the person who rented the facility. BUT, then that might have just caused more trouble for his wifes family than it was worth.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    two people... let's see hmmm

there was me(1), "Frank"(2), busybody(3), Vc off-duty Sheriff there as a guest(4) and at least 3 others that while not contributing to the conversation, were there around us.

again you are leaving things out from my first post so that events fit your way of thinking.

I think 357 would have preferred that you first, acted maturely and put your gun in your car, like a good boy,like you were told to. Then you should have gone to the front of the party, asked (nicely of course) for everybody's attention, held a survey, then maybe bring out a white board so the two sides (or three really) could diagram their side of the issue, and you could have had a nice, "mature", debate. Of course, you shouldn't leave anybody out of the conversation, that would be rude, and would not be "trying to get your point across"!
    Your family had NO right to have a party during your debate! Humph!:D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not sure if there is a thing wrong with that.

We are not talking about a diner, movie theatre, mall or any other public place, we are talking about a family event (an anniversary!).

Not really the place to make a statement.

It's not about a statement.

As for it being a family event... Is there something about a family event that prevents Bad Things from happening? If so, someone forgot to tell that to these criminals back in May
    Girl, 5, woman killed in Central City shooting; 3 others injured | NOLA.com

and this guy last year
    Man opens fire at son's birthday party, kills 5 relatives, self

and probably a bunch of others I don't feel like looking for right now.

Sure, someone could CC at these events; why should he have to? Texas law mandates any carry by other than LEO must be concealed. The people involved are just as dead and the antis wrung their hands and wet their panties just as much for that shooting as they do for any other criminal acts.

That it was a family event is irrelevant. His method of carry is irrelevant.

The problem here is threefold: prejudice, heckler's veto, and uninformed guest (ab)using his authority.

The solution to all three problems is education. I don't know about you, but I don't get into too many conversations about the legality of carry (thus few opportunities to educate) by CCing. If you don't want those conversations to even begin, CC is your better choice. If you find CC uncomfortable, OC is your better choice. There are many variables to consider and frankly, they've been covered many, many times, including in a thread dedicated to the topic.

Me, I don't give a rat's tuchus how someone chooses to carry.

..................(\
    ...................\\
    ....................))
    ...................//
    .............-....//...-.
    .........../...\-((=-/...\
    ...........\......\\...../
    ............`( ____))_ )`
    .............-'...//..'-.
    .........../.....((......\
    ..........|.......;.......|
    ...........\............./
    ............\...|___|.../
    ............_)..\.../..(_
    ....jgs...(((---'...'---)))
    (OK, so I lied. There's a rat's tuchus. :D)

All that matters to me is that if he or she chooses to do so, that he or she not be prevented from doing so how he or she sees fit by ignorant people such as the OP encountered or by idiotic laws that only create Criminal Empowerent Zones.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm not sure if there is a thing wrong with that.

We are not talking about a diner, movie theatre, mall or any other public place, we are talking about a family event (an anniversary!).

Not really the place to make a statement.

You're all over the place man! I thought you said he should have engaged EVERONE in the discussion, as a teachable moment!?:dunno:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    He talked with a couple people outside then left. Stick around and engage others in the conversation, don't just leave, find out who is in charge ( the person who's name the building is in) so many of you guys say "take a stand", so why not take a stand?

Cowering to some busybody and a sherriff isn't standing up for yourself.

But that's EXACTLY what YOU said he should do...cower to the two people who wanted him to dis-arm!?:dunno:

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    I will say this I have noticed that he has still yet to answer the question of wither or not he would have as a CC'er, disarmed like I as an OC'er was told to do or leave like I did.

so far I'm thinking that he would enjoy the double standard and stayed at the party...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I will say this I have noticed that he has still yet to answer the question of wither or not he would have as a CC'er, disarmed like I as an OC'er was told to do or leave like I did.

so far I'm thinking that he would enjoy the double standard and stayed at the party...

I don't think he knows. I think he just likes to argue!:dunno:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Ding!!Ding!!! Ding!!....CONCEAL CARRY!

jesus_facepalm.jpg

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    It's really like debating religion with cult members.

If you don't like the consequences of open carry than you shouldn't open carry, as for me I would have CC'ed and never had a problem.

It is sooo simple, why you zealous OC'ers slam your heads into the wall and then whine about having a headache is odd.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

If you don't like the consequences of open carry than you shouldn't open carry, as for me I would have CC'ed and never had a problem.

It is sooo simple, why you zealous OC'ers slam your heads into the wall and then whine about having a headache is odd.

OK, that's YOU, whoopty do..

..and you probably would have gone to the back of the bus, not used the public drinking fountains, been OK with not being able to Vote, etc, because it is easier than standing up for your Rights..

Anti gun gun owners like you boggle my mind.. :n00b:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

So, if you were at the party, cc'ing, and I was oc'ing, and asked to leave, would you leave as well? would you disarm yourself and go back into the party? or would you keep quiet? Everyones been asking and waiting to hear.

As for consequences of open carry, as pointed out, people print, shirts open a little, so its not always 100% concealed. People in law enforcement and certain other occupations know how to spot concealed carry as well. So, then, if im that deputy, i can ask you to leave, since you are scaring the sheep by concealed carrying? What are you going to do then? Stand up to the Law Enforcement Officer and debate with him? Yep, that sounds like a great plan. Thanks for playing, good luck in court when the time comes.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    OK, that's YOU, whoopty do..

..and you probably would have gone to the back of the bus, not used the public drinking fountains, been OK with not being able to Vote, etc, because it is easier than standing up for your Rights..

Anti gun gun owners like you boggle my mind.. :n00b:

tried to rep you again, but i have to spread it around again. Great point.
    What about if he had been asked to leave cause his skin color was scary? Or his religion freaked people out cause he's Muslim, or Jewish and is wearing religious paraphernalia? Oh, we are going to have to ask you to leave, cause your religion upsets me?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

If you don't like the consequences of open carry [STRIKE]than[/STRIKE] then you shouldn't open carry, as for me I would have CC'ed and never had a problem.

I give up. If I say what I really want to say, I'll get the ban hammer. You aren't worth that.

You flip flop your position. You're inconsistent. You say that we need to stand up for our rights, then say that we should hide them.

You haven't understood any of the metaphors mentioned. Look, guy, we've won. You keep arguing your "points" and we keep knocking them down. You're a persistent little bugger, that's for sure, but you have to know when enough is enough.

You've managed to **** off an entire sect of INGO. I hope you're proud.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, if you were at the party, cc'ing, and I was oc'ing, and asked to leave, would you leave as well? would you disarm yourself and go back into the party? or would you keep quiet? Everyones been asking and waiting to hear.

As for consequences of open carry, as pointed out, people print, shirts open a little, so its not always 100% concealed. People in law enforcement and certain other occupations know how to spot concealed carry as well. So, then, if im that deputy, i can ask you to leave, since you are scaring the sheep by concealed carrying? What are you going to do then? Stand up to the Law Enforcement Officer and debate with him? Yep, that sounds like a great plan. Thanks for playing, good luck in court when the time comes.
    I would love to hear the answer to that one too! If the person/people that rented the party grounds were REALLY anti gun, they would have announced to EVERYONE "Hey! If you have a gun, take it to your car!"

tried to rep you again, but i have to spread it around again. Great point.
    What about if he had been asked to leave cause his skin color was scary? Or his religion freaked people out cause he's Muslim, or Jewish and is wearing religious paraphernalia? Oh, we are going to have to ask you to leave, cause your religion upsets me?

Excellent point as well. Indeed, what if the OP was black, and the wife's family didnt know. Would the haters on here say "He should just have obeyed the request to wait in the car until his wife was done partying" ? :dunno:

I don't get how people, ESPECIALLY other gun owners, can be so blind as to not see this IS a Rights issue..

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Critical of exercising lawful carry.

Critical of not complying with disarming.

And even critical of OP's decision to exercise his right to leave.

I guess its more important to be "mature", than to stand up for oneself when its needed.

Top Bottom