• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I saw some clean AK-74's at a local shop for $399 that peaked my interest. The 5.45x39 ammo is running 5 cents a round cheaper than 7.62x39 for an AK. I'd like some opinions on the rifle, especially from folks who have both AK-47s and AK-74s. I hate to add another caliber to the arsenal, but if it stays this cheap and is easy to acquire, I may have to.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    I have a Krink and a full size. Love them. 5.45X39 shoots great. I find it to be more accurate than 7.62. If you get a full size gun with the muzzle break on it, it will recoil less than an AR15. Plus AIM has 1080 round tins of ammo for $119 plus about $10 for shipping. Cheapest caliber to shoot besides .22LR.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have both. I love both. It is so cheap to buy and run, no reason not too.

The 74 has very little recoil, and is dead nuts simple like all AKs. I think you will surprised by the accuracy of the cheap ammo out of the cheap gun.

Just be sure to clean it up good after shooting especially in this humidity. The cheap ammo is corrosive.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Like all surplus ammo, don't expect it to stay cheap forever, but right now it is a good deal. So buy 'em chepa and stack 'em deep now! Realize an import regulation, executive order, or any number of other things can bring the surplus stuff and maybe even the Russian commercial stuff to an end with a penstroke. Look at the banning of Chinese steel core (supposedly due to the first AK 7.62x39 pistols) and most of Chinese firearms imports in the mid-90s by Clinton. If it isn't banned, I'd expect the surplus stuff to be available, but not as cheap for a long time since the Russians and others are still making lots of it.

I took advantage of what is probably the same or very similar rifle at a slightly cheaper price at the end of Spring. I was originally looking at getting a Saiga in .223 until that deal came along. I was going Saiga because I wanted a little project with real Russian roots. I wanted .223 for commonality and for home defense since the right load penetrates less walls than many shotgun and handgun loads.

I ended up with the AK74 since it saved me time and money and when it comes down to it I'm not really a collector (but that Izhmash stamp still calls to me :D ). 5.45 won me over because of the cheap but decently effective in both terminal and barrier/armor penetration in surplus ammo along with the knowledge that Hornady was eventually coming out with a V-Max 5.45 load for low barrier penetration "urban" home defense. The Hornady load was delayed but should apparently finally be on my doorstep tomorrow!

Note that it probably has a U.S. non-chromed bore which people tend to claim it will shoot out quicker about still haven't gotten a real round count on about what that would be. Also the US barrel helps with the regulations formally known as 922(r). Mine had 8 US parts from the factory and that is even with the nice true zig-zag cut Bulgarian brake.

EDIT: I should mention I have two 7.62x39 AKs already with "almost enough" ammo. I understand the whole not wanting to branch out in calibers. I try to keep it simple as well but I think 5.45x39 or 5.56x45 do offer compelling reasons for me to own at least on AK in one of those chamberings.

Last edited:

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I love my saiga 5.45. The 5.45 round is so controllable (and cheap!) you will forget about 5.56 real quick. I've got a real deal zig zag brake on mine as well and the recoil is even less then a 20" AR.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    AK 74

I have 2 of them one is a Bulgarian built by Inrange in Tenn. and a Romanian wasr 2 and I love them way more than the 8, 7.62 rifles I have had. The recoil is so much lighter and the accuracy is amazing compared to the 7.62 AK's. Even my 8 year old son loves them.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I took my new Bulgarian Century AK-74 out to the range today. I have shot the AK47 platform a lot, but my wife and daughter don't like the recoil. I have heard that the 74's were just as reliable as the 47's, almost as accurate as an AR, and cheaper to shoot than both with a lot less recoil. I added a cheap wal mart recoil pad, and with or without it, I was amazed at how light the recoil was. I shot a box of wolf 70 grain and was very pleased with it. After I got it sighted in, I had a 1.5" group at 50 yards, and I'm not all that good. BUT - then I went to the 60 grain silver bear, and YIKES! 3 of the 30 rounds KEYHOLED and I could not get a group less than 6" at 50 yards. I have not tried the milsurp 53 grain ammo yet; I have heard that it is pretty good. Anyone else have keyholing problems or ideas on how to fix them? Otherwise, I love the feel of the rifle and the low recoil....

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    3 of the 30 rounds KEYHOLED and I could not get a group less than 6" at 50 yards. I have not tried the milsurp 53 grain ammo yet; I have heard that it is pretty good. Anyone else have keyholing problems or ideas on how to fix them?

Your keyholing issue is due to the US-made non-chromed barrels that Century is using; I am told that the actual bore diameter can vary quite a bit from sample to sample.

Try the mil-surp ammo. If you can't find a brand or type that the gun seems to work well with, send it back to Century and insist they rebarrel or replace it.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Your keyholing issue is due to the US-made non-chromed barrels that Century is using; I am told that the actual bore diameter can vary quite a bit from sample to sample.

Try the mil-surp ammo. If you can't find a brand or type that the gun seems to work well with, send it back to Century and insist they rebarrel or replace it.

Thanks for that info...I've been kicking around the AK74 idea for a while now...because my Century M70 underfolder has been such a great shooting rifle I was probably going to roll the dice on another Century.

Anything I can look for in a Century AK74 barrel that might indicate if it's in spec? I was thinking that maybe if it were a big enough problem they might have changed barrels and I could look for a stamping or something...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    will they re barrel it with a chrome barrel?

Doubtful; if they had chrome-lined barrels available to use, the guns would've had 'em from the start. They'll most likely just find a US-made barrel that gauges good and use it. Or just replace the entire gun.

I was thinking about getting a 74 from 21st century but I don't know after this.

Don't let somebody else's bad apple spoil the entire bunch. Like most things Century, these AK-74s seem to be hit or miss. Fortunately, I've heard of many more "hits" than "misses"; these aren't like the first-run Tantals from a few years ago, where they decided to use .223 barrel blanks with the 5.45 guns and call it "good enough". Keyhole city. :xmad:

fordmech_2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2010
    Well hey! You could tell us some stuff like what kind of rifle you have, how many rounds you have through it, and what in particular you like about it...

Or you could just add some more exclamation points. :rolleyes:
    I have a Century arms int. bulgy, came with 4 bakelite mags and bayonet 450 rounds through it and the tapco trigger is just awesome. do not care for the furnitue but a person can live with it just unpleasing to the eye and not as comfortable/ tactical as it could be. i am happy as hell with it though i picked it up for 330 delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(more exlamation points!) they are starting to creep up so i would get one asap! still need to zero it in a little better at 100+ but it will lay down the lead at a constant rate with no failures so the zombies are screwed at any distance! the corrosive ammo is no big deal shoot the **** out of it then spray it with windex and when you get home don't delay cleaning it the proper way. My experience is you will never get all the black out of the bore so just get it close and be happy!

Top Bottom