• ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So how do you build a 7.62X39 AR?

Do you just use a .223 lower? Or is it a custom one? Upper is pretty apparent...but curious on how the lower and Bolt works...

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The 5.56/223 lower is all you need.

I wouldnt even worry about the murray spring on the SKS. Keep the blot clean and you will be fine. The AR has a floating firing pin, just like the SKS. I have never seen a spring loaded firing pin for an AR. :twocents:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I like em stock, but that's just me! May regret cutting on it down the road. If you can do some mods without a saw, that's a different story!

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I think the standard SKS is a very under rated rifle, and is well suited to many tasks. Check out Tech Sights, and the SKS boards for a few tweeks to get the most out of your current setup.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I tried a Tapco stock on a Norinco SKS a couple of years ago and hated the thing. It totally upset the balance of the rifle. I think I had it on there all of about two days and don't remember ever taking it to the range with that setup. I often see SKSs that have been modified with a tactical stock for sale and can't help but to think the person that modified it hated it and is now dumping it instead of restoring it back to its original state. As built, the SKS is a pretty decent rifle and reasonably well balanced. As soon as you replace the wood with plastic, the rifle becomes very nose heavy and feels all wrong.

Dmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Otisco
    I tried a Tapco stock on a Norinco SKS a couple of years ago and hated the thing. It totally upset the balance of the rifle. I think I had it on there all of about two days and don't remember ever taking it to the range with that setup. I often see SKSs that have been modified with a tactical stock for sale and can't help but to think the person that modified it hated it and is now dumping it instead of restoring it back to its original state. As built, the SKS is a pretty decent rifle and reasonably well balanced. As soon as you replace the wood with plastic, the rifle becomes very nose heavy and feels all wrong.
    That seems to be the general consensus. I have always loved it. It might be my favorite gun to shoot (nostalgia and all :) I definitely don't want to do anything that would take the natural feel out of it.

jpwfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Middle of a hay field
    I had a Yugo SKS and put a decent quality folding stock on it, but I liked the old wooden stock much more since it had better balance, better feel, and seemed much more sturdy. I would recommend that you save your $$ for a different gun and leave the SKS as is.

Top Bottom