• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I recently aquired a Rossi 92, El Jeffe in .357 mag. it is a cool gun but I found that if I loaded more than 3 rounds in the tube is was more than likely going to jam but the new round sticking strait up in the breach of the gun. I played with this for a couple of weeks and finally decided to clean up the action, doing so I found that the detent ball in the cartridge lift was struck and it wasn't lifting the cartridge into place properly. After cleaning this up and polishing everything I could I now have a gun that functions as it should.

The question is, is this normal for a Rossi, do they typically have to be reworked when new in order to get them to function correctly of do they normally function right out of the box. YOu save about $100 buying a Rossi over a Marlin and $200 v a Henry but both of those function our of the box so what is the reason to buy a Rossi unless you just like to work on guns?

Your thoughts please

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, if you cleaned it, then it was probably neglected .....

MOST people, think cleaning a gun, is running a patch down the barrel, and wiping off the outside .....

It probably depends, on how many rounds through it, and how long it has been left after last cleaning .....

I have a Marlin .44 Mag., and I don't shoot it, a lot, but when I do, I clean and lube it ....

and function check, when I am done .....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have the rossi because I like the looks of the 92 the best and it was quite a bit cheaper than the B92. I wanted to shoot 38spcl as well as 357, and the real thing ( a winnie ) cant do the 38sp and was even more expensive (in some cases a great deal more expensive). IMO if you were to decide to go for a Miroku authorized clone, you're no longer getting the real thing and that opens the floor to Rossi and Browning. The Henrys and Marlins are just different guns from what I wanted but otherwise fine. Mine worked well, but I bought it used (I wanted no safety), and the previous owner had the action slicked up. The accuracy of them all beyond 50 yards is limited largely by ammunition characteristics and, in my case, the shooters ability to see with iron sights. I have a rear peepsight and if you wish to go further and scope this type rifle I have read the non-winchester clones are friendlier to this option.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I have a '92 Rossi in .44-40. It runs without a hiccup. I have heard that the .38/.357 models are OAL cartridge length particular, so if you find a round that works, stick with that OAL. It ran fine since I got it. I did make the mistake (once!) of not putting the cartridge-stop spring in the (invisible) slot on the cartridge stop, and that caused me fits for a while, but that is it! '92s ROCK!

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have a Rossi 92 in 38/357, worked right out of the box. I have 16" so max loads 8 rounds and it feeds them without issues.
    Yes, I second what singlesix says - I have the same gun and it functioned right out of the box. Since OP's was a used rifle, I am assuming previous owner abused it?

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have had a Rossi in both .357 and .44 mag. Both rifles worked
    fine out of the box, the fit and finish was fine on both rifles. I traded the .357 and still have the 44 mag.

Dave

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Mine worked right out of the box as well. 16" bottom of the line Rossi(nothing fancy,round barrel, etc). Functioned great. Probably 500-1000 plinking rounds out of it.

UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I have a 92 in 38/357 and it functioned flawlessly right out of the box. It cycles my reloads in both calibers without a hiccup. I love it!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Thanks for all the help. The second time I took it down I found that the cartridge elevator was not working correctly. It has a small ball bearing detent on the left side which was sticking. When it would stick the elevator would lift the new cartridge they fall back down and allow the rear of the cartridge to fall down and when the bolt came forward it would of course junk the cartridge.
    I cleaned it up and slicked up the action and put in a new spring set from Brownells. I now have the smoothest Rossi 2 on the block and I'm really starting to like it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I used to want a Rossi 92 in .454 Casull...but after speaking with a few guys who had owned them (and sold them) none of them liked that particular caliber set-up in that rifle...they said it kept breaking down on them...that the small parts didn't hold up while shooting .454 Casull rounds through it!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I used to want a Rossi 92 in .454 Casull...but after speaking with a few guys who had owned them (and sold them) none of them liked that particular caliber set-up in that rifle...they said it kept breaking down on them...that the small parts didn't hold up while shooting .454 Casull rounds through it!

i have shot hundreds of very hot load 45Colts in both 92 i have and have never had a part break......2 other people i know have them in 454 and they to have never had a part failure.....

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Thanks for all the help. The second time I took it down I found that the cartridge elevator was not working correctly. It has a small ball bearing detent on the left side which was sticking. When it would stick the elevator would lift the new cartridge they fall back down and allow the rear of the cartridge to fall down and when the bolt came forward it would of course junk the cartridge.
    I cleaned it up and slicked up the action and put in a new spring set from Brownells. I now have the smoothest Rossi 2 on the block and I'm really starting to like it.
    Now you have another problem .... keeping it fed; you will burn through it quick. Glad you have it running smooth.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I've not had any issues with mine, and it's killed more than a few deer...

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne

I've put about 400 rounds of 454 thru mine anlong with some stout 45 colt loads and it has never broke anything. I bought mine used and the action was pretty gritty, but shot great. After some polishing, it is one of my favorites now!

sweendogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Bought my Rossi in November brand new. It's a 20 inch model in 38/357. It shoots great, only problem I have is trying to cycle 357 but I think it might be me. It gets more attention than any of my other guns and everybody wants to try it out. Very fun gun to shoot and I'm glad I saved my money and bought the Rossi instead of a Marlin or Henry.

RW97

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2016
    Muncie
    I'd really like to pick one up if it was for the right price. Kinda scared considering all the horror stories I've heard.

Top Bottom