• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FestusHaggen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It kind of surprises me that auto loader shotguns aren't more prevalent in the home defense verity compared to the pump action guns. It seems in the hand gun world the semi auto has been the standard for years. In my own experience (admittedly limited) I have had many more cambering issues with handguns than semi auto shotguns, and those were mostly due to light clay loads, not an issue with defense ammo. interested in your thought and ideas, thanks.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Pump actions are generally more versatile across the board, except for a select few semi-autos that actually do what they advertise.

A pump is also easier to do certain things with. If a benelli M4 cost the same as a 590A1, I imagine the trend may change.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A quality pump is cheap, reliable with any ammo, and easy to maintain. I don't think you'll see a move away from them unless you get a self-loader down into the pump price range.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Nothing on this or any other planet makes that incredibly unique sound: the slide action on a pump shotgun. That is pure and simple psychological warfare and there ain't no bad guy who wants to hear that unmistakable sound. That's because the next sound is a very loud BOOM!!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah, the cost is probably a big issue in choosing between pump action and semi-auto guns. Some people also like the racking sound from a pump gun. This is a salesman trick, but it works on people: "I was sitting home alone when I heard some noise coming from the backyard. I racked my 870, and the noise was no more." That's kind of a silly trick, because you don't know what that noise was in the first place.

I've had malfunctions with autoloaders. If I use it for HD, I'd be sure I can clear malfunction fast or have a backup.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I for one have a few saigas placed around the house and it is my shotgun of choice! I agree it comes down to money more than anything or a lack of knowledge.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I personally prefer a Remington shotgun & keep an 1187 semi-auto, equipped with a 120 lumens tactical light & pressure switch. I had my gunsmith cut the barrel to 18" & install a fiber optic sight on the bbl end. Works well for me...
    Even though I prefer a Remington, there's something to be said for a good Mossberg. It is lighter than a Remington, has more customizing options & generally cost less. A quality Mossberg 500 pump-action will average $300-$500, where a 590 semi-auto will generally run around $800 +/-.
    So there's my :twocents:

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Its hard to beat a rem 870 or mossberg 500. They are about the most tested, used, reliable proven shotguns on the planet. Each one has its + / -. But you cant hardly go wrong for the money.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Pumps are cheap and virtually indestructable. I dig the FN SLP for an auto loader! Still have not been able to justify spending a grand on one when a 200 dollar 870 will toss a fist full of bb's just as good. Not a lot of technology when it comes to a shot gun. Rifles are another story.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I like autoloaders. Once you figure out what loads allow them to run reliably, you are set. They're faster for follow-ups and for multiple targets. But if your HD scenario includes taking doors somehow, then you'd probably want a pump gun for breech loads.

I'd worry about overpenetration with a shotgun. People report 00 shots going through multiple walls. I'd also make sure to pattern my gun with a load before using that load for defense, so I'd know at what range my pattern gets too big for shooting intruders. We're accountable for every pellet.

For a HD gun, shotgun is a little complicated. I'm not sure a politician should just get on the airwaves and tell people to get a shotgun for home defense. Moving around the house with a shotgun may be more difficult than with a pistol, even though, once mounted, an 18" shotgun extends not farther than a pistol.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I had several variations of Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's in my hands yesterday. I came close to pulling the trigger on a bare bones 500 but had already made a purchase. Felt good and simplistic. I also coon fingered a 930 SPX. WOW... I had to put it down and walk away. That auto, if dependable, felt fast and appeared to be well built. I know they had some growing pains and have changed some parts (I think the bolt handle being one). I think at one time they had problems with light loads. If they got the bugs worked out, that thing would be very effective.

I like the idea of a pump firing even if unbelievably filthy. If I found myself in a prolonged situation where I could not thoroughly clean the firearm, I would not like the idea that the firearm might not fire because of it.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    The 930 SPX is a good gun. Jerry Miculek uses it, so that's saying something.

You do have to test a few hundred of the load you intend to use. The gun likes to be nicely lubed. There is a malfunction that may not be easy to clear unless you've seen it before. Stuff like the bolt handle, magazine extension, magazine spring, or the elevator all have aftermarket parts if you want to improve on the stock version, which generally works fine. I'd worry about the malfunction most of all. Second, the piston seems to be kind of hard on the magazine, which gets its finish scraped off slowly in some guns. That doesn't affect functionality, but that may affect long-term durability. Finally, the stock is on the long side, and it cannot be shortened easily because of the tube inside it.

You can also short-stroke your pump gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    1dc1a5fa-05dd-46b4-8389-375919a3a1ad_zpsb083eef1.jpg

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    It has been my experience that most, if not all, semi-auto shotgun prefer to eat high brass casings. Whereas the pump will handle just about anything you feed it. And yes, the semi-auto does like to be well lubed. Even so, I still prefer an auto loader.
    In a HD situation, rest assured, the receiver will be subject to a quick "double tap":stretcher:

Mosin Mounts

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Southwest of Indianapolis
    While we're here comparing pumps and auto-loaders, I remember my grandfather having a discussion with a guy many years ago comparing a pump to a side-by-side double barrel. In present day, we question reliability of the semi-auto, but the old timers questioned pumps back in the day. My grandfather never owned a pump. He said that an old cut-down 12x12 would handle anything he would ever need to concern himself with. Looking back on that conversation, hi cap mags were not prevalent in civilian hands at that time. He would probably have a different opinion if he were around today.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    He said that an old cut-down 12x12 would handle anything he would ever need to concern himself with.

What's a 12x12, and can I get a tactical version of it? :): (Is that 12 ga by 12 ga -- a side by side in 12 ga?)

Seriously, I think a lot of gun stuff is really overkill for our average, daily defensive needs. Some people just like fancy toys. Others prep for doomsdays. And then there is "that guy" who can't tell reality from fantasy.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It's an FTF. One thing that causes this problem is if you load incorrectly, which can happen if you're shoving rounds in like mad.

[video=youtube;aRiwSmemRvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRiwSmemRvQ[/video]

Someone had a video of the drill to clear this malfunction on Youtube, but he took it down. Basically you pull back the bolt, reach in and push the round back into the magazine, then release the bolt to load one in the chamber. In a fight, it'd be important to realize right away that there is a malfunction (instead of staring at your gun for ten minutes), and then to jump on the fix right away.

Alternatively, you can starting using it like a bolt action. You have to rack every round, ejecting half the rounds unfired and shooting the other half.

The best fix is transitioning to pistol.

Keep in mind that while pump action guns are reliable and versatile, you can short stroke it, too.

Top Bottom