• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I disagree with the presented solution. Those six people don't represent a valid cross section of society. You have pro-gun people for hunting rights and anti-gun people for emotional reasons. You don't have the people (conservative and liberal) who recognize that terror can happen anytime, any where, and who want to protect themselves and their family and community. This concept will not work because you cannot guarantee that independent mindsets will be represented. The author grew up in a different time in a normal place. Our communities, irregardless of size, are no longer normal. Life doesn't begin with the consent of two adults anymore and it should not end based on the edict of six. At the end of the day this situation and the decisions to be made are fraught with a lack of need. We don't need action regarding gun ownership and purchase management. We need to follow the constitution our Country was founded upon and let the thought of a home invasion be so freaking scary to the intruder that he or she dare not step close to a window or door after dark for fear of being shot. The fear is held by the wrong people these days because the bad guys play the odds. How do you change outcomes? Change odds. My opinions, of course.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I disagree with the presented solution. Those six people don't represent a valid cross section of society. You have pro-gun people for hunting rights and anti-gun people for emotional reasons. You don't have the people (conservative and liberal) who recognize that terror can happen anytime, any where, and who want to protect themselves and their family and community. This concept will not work because you cannot guarantee that independent mindsets will be represented. The author grew up in a different time in a normal place. Our communities, irregardless of size, are no longer normal. Life doesn't begin with the consent of two adults anymore and it should not end based on the edict of six. At the end of the day this situation and the decisions to be made are fraught with a lack of need. We don't need action regarding gun ownership and purchase management. We need to follow the constitution our Country was founded upon and let the thought of a home invasion be so freaking scary to the intruder that he or she dare not step close to a window or door after dark for fear of being shot. The fear is held by the wrong people these days because the bad guys play the odds. How do you change outcomes? Change odds. My opinions, of course.

I agree with you.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I like this article, It reminds us all of the way it used to be and should still be.

I disagree with the presented solution. Those six people don't represent a valid cross section of society. You have pro-gun people for hunting rights and anti-gun people for emotional reasons. You don't have the people (conservative and liberal) who recognize that terror can happen anytime, any where, and who want to protect themselves and their family and community. This concept will not work because you cannot guarantee that independent mindsets will be represented. The author grew up in a different time in a normal place. Our communities, irregardless of size, are no longer normal. Life doesn't begin with the consent of two adults anymore and it should not end based on the edict of six. At the end of the day this situation and the decisions to be made are fraught with a lack of need. We don't need action regarding gun ownership and purchase management. We need to follow the constitution our Country was founded upon and let the thought of a home invasion be so freaking scary to the intruder that he or she dare not step close to a window or door after dark for fear of being shot. The fear is held by the wrong people these days because the bad guys play the odds. How do you change outcomes? Change odds. My opinions, of course.[/QU

I do agree with ^^^^. Dobber worded his reply very well.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    In the 1970's, I took a shotgun to school. I do not remember even owning a gun case, so it would have been just carried in the door. We had Hunter's Safety class after school.
    Boys would park their trucks in the school parking lot and you could see a rifle or shotgun hanging in the gun rack. We carried pocket knives. Nobody thought anything about it. It's just the way things were. And we didn't have any shootings or stabbings at school.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville

I agree too. The article speaks of a different time and doesn't address the need for self defense. I understand this perspective. My childhood was spent in the 50s, and while there was certainly violent crime, it was mostly confined to inner cities. You seldom heard anything about gangs, you never heard of a 'home invasion'. You wouldn't think of picking up a weapon before answering a knock at the door. When an argument escalated beyond words, someone ended up with a black eye.

But life today is different. The gap between rich and poor has gotten wider, and people with nothing to lose will act as though they have nothing to lose. And then there's meth .. a few days without sleep and those folks are hallucinating and paranoid .. who can predict their actions?

Today we each have to assume responsibility for our own defense ... the police can't usually be there when the crime is happening ... only later, when it could be too late.

So .. in addition to the hunters and the anti-gunners, we also need to hear from people who just want to live in peace and protect themselves when necessary.

Top Bottom