• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    It's about that time again, and I am getting itchy hands....

So, I am thinking about building on of those classic battle rifles, the M14/M1A, with a twist of my own. I have always loved the lines, looks, and feel of these rifles. They speak to me in ways that the AR just doesn't, though that is also a fine rifle.

Currently I am just beginning the research stage of things, so any knowledgeable, helpful comments or suggestions would be appreciated, and I will update this as I go along of course.

If things go as I think, I am looking at making this one of my 'go-to' rifles (along with my AR) and my primary grab-n-go, so I am looking for reliability, ruggedness, durability, simplicity, etc. This will be a rifle for field use, not CQB.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Are you planning to build from parts or to personalize your rifle beyond leaving it as it comes out of the box?

In the event of buying one stock and going from there, I would point out that my issues with the M1A are the plastic hand guard and the lack of a bayonet lug. I solved these by ordering a walnut hand guard from Boyd's (which is the OEM for the walnut stock) and am going to order a Springfield Armory-made flash hider assembly with the lug from Brownell's from which I already purchased a 1907-pattern leather sling, with which I am very happy. I chose to stay away from the national match sights from the concern that they are too fine for easy visibility for 'normal' use.

As for building from scratch, I can't offer much as I haven't done so.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your goal is worthy.

However, you realize that AR's can be easily assembled by anyone with no really specialized equipment? M1's and M1-A's are built by riflesmiths, not assembled?

That this requirement has to be intentionally built out of a M1/M1A? ........"reliability, ruggedness, durability, simplicity, etc"

I suggest Fulton Armory to get a well built M1A to your specs. http://www.fulton-armory.com/ You can even talk to Walt in person and tell him what you want at Camp Perry.

There are also a couple of riflesmiths familiar with the rifle that can build what you want. They are a dying breed though. Literally dying.....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom