• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Found this article on Twitter, which was posted by NUVO.

The useless gun on the belt | Guest Voices | NUVO News | Indianapolis, IN

Dear concealed weapon owner:

How can I prove to you a truth so powerful in my mind, an unchallengeable truth, that a concealed weapon, or even a visible one, cannot make you safe, cannot facilitate your self-defense? By acquiring a weapon, you are investing in an illusion.

As you soon will see, data discovered by a local librarian does prove my point (at least in my mind), but temperamentally you cannot accept the proof. You want to own that gun so badly, it is part of your self-esteem, your view of the world. This makes proof irrelevant, right?

Yet I cannot imagine you performing rapidly, efficiently, effectively, to fend off a violent predator. A burglar or robber is more prepared than you. His weapon is drawn, yours is not. He comes up behind you on the Monon Rail Trail. He enters your home quietly, believing you are not there. You both are scared, but he has more to lose, and what is it like to look at a teenager burglarizing your home for a television or ring, your gun in hand, his life at stake. Your choice is whether to take his life, or to let him run, possibly with your belongings. Will you think fast enough to take action or to consider numerous potential consequences? No. You cannot. You are not that skilled. You never will be. Would not a couple of baseball bats stored strategically provide the same level of protection? Probably, but you prefer to tell your friends that you are licensed to carry.

Or, could you do the unmanly: let him go. You can save him, like Jean Val Jean.

But you argue that owning the gun, carrying the weapon, makes you more strong and safe, when, in fact, you are not.

I can prove that Americans, in general, do not successfully utilize a gun to protect themselves from death by a predator, and I assume by inference the same probabilities apply in all crimes. Please, at least read the data.

In 2012, 12,765 persons were murdered. (For each 100,000 persons, 4.7 were killed. That is 0.00005, five one thousands of one percent.) Of those, 720 were considered “justifiable homicides. Of the “justifiable” group, 410 were by police officers under attack, 310 by private citizens. The population of The United States was 314 million in 2012. Work it out. In 2012, less than .000001 of all private Americans successfully defended a murderous attack. If historic data may be turned into probability, the chance that you, a private American citizen, will successfully protect yourself with a gun is only a one ten thousandth of one percent. Does that not mean that the odds of you utilizing your weapon for self-protection are insignificant, that you have wasted money to acquire the gun?

I think so, and desperately wish that you would agree.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This article has changed my view of everything. I am going to bring all my guns to the 1500 this Saturday, and everything will be for sale. I will be buying 2 baseball bats tonight after work, and strategically place them in my house.

I am a believer now.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    In other words, an anti-gunner used long-discredited and misleading statistics to make their point. Yet again...

Is that what that was ..... I am now so confused, I don't even know what he/she, was talking about .....

I can't play baseball, anymore ..... BAD knees ..... I think I'l just take S&W, along for the ride,

Thank You, very much .....

Old, Ret., DAV .....

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    This article has changed my view of everything. I am going to bring all my guns to the 1500 this Saturday, and everything will be for sale. I will be buying 2 baseball bats tonight after work, and strategically place them in my house.

I am a believer now.

Me too haha

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Of those, 720 were considered “justifiable homicides. Of the “justifiable” group, 410 were by police officers under attack, 310 by private citizens. The population of The United States was 314 million in 2012. Work it out. In 2012, less than .000001 of all private Americans successfully defended a murderous attack. If historic data may be turned into probability, the chance that you, a private American citizen, will successfully protect yourself with a gun is only a one ten thousandth of one percent.

So, it's only self-defense when someone dies?

What other probability ratios define other civil rights? Let's play that game.

What is the probability that your vote matters? Since it is so low, you are not allowed to vote as your vote statistically does not matter.

What is the probability that the book you buy is any good? Since it is so low, you are not allowed to buy a book.

What is the probability that your speech, letter to the editor, blog, matters? Since it is so low, you are not allowed to speak.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Biggest piece of :poop: I've read in a while....a couple strategically placed baseball bats....yeah dude. I just wish I could see your chicken **** self when someone busts down your door, gun in hand and you've got your strategic Louisville slugger vs his [anything]. You better leave my house mr or I'll knock you clean out of it Sammy Sosa sty...bang bang bang....you're dead! Now let me find your $, and family so I can have my way with them....

Seriously this is the kind of garbage that plagues some of our peers (co-workers, family, friends, whoever)

They read and believe this crap.

His stats make no sense either as he's using the small % to only say those are the people who defended themselves, and not giving the small % of the actual amount of people doing the shooting as well.

So now we have .000038% of the american population committing homicides with guns, but we have a gun control problem? SIR THAT'S ONLY .000038% ARE YOU INSANE?

See...you can turn his idiocy back on him. Numbers work both ways, god knows no one in congress pushing gun control is looking at real numbers.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    So, it's only self-defense when someone dies?

What other probability ratios define other civil rights? Let's play that game.

What is the probability that your vote matters? Since it is so low, you are not allowed to vote as your vote statistically does not matter.

What is the probability that the book you buy is any good? Since it is so low, you are not allowed to buy a book.

What is the probability that your speech, letter to the editor, blog, matters? Since it is so low, you are not allowed to speak.

bingo.

Let him play little league with home intruders, see how well he does. Everyone strikes out eventually.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I always forget that these people exist.
    What's sad is I share my air with them...........and worst - they vote. :xmad:

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Completely flawed logic.

Self defense does not always result in a homicide. Frankly, it may not even result in an injury. But self-defense, it still is.

If anything, this tool is proving the pro-gun point. All of the millions of "crazy gun owners" out there not killing people.

Mike

Top Bottom