The stupidity of people sometimes catches me off-guard...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brown trix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Morgan County
    I drive on the average 230 to 270 miles a day on I 70, 65 north and south 465 and 37 down to Martinsville and back and the things I see every day makes me wonder how there
    are not more deaths on our roads, my truck is limited to 68 mph and I can not go fast enough, last Friday morning on 70 by the airport east bound 3 cars weaving in traffic
    running 75 80 mph then pass on the outside pull off lane, later on Friday afternoon going south on 37 with Easter and IU crowd heading to Btown same thing cars passing
    in pull off lanes Cant be late to the party in Btown

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If these nimrods don't have the situational awareness to notice a firetruck or ambulance with all those flashing lights, sirens, horns, you sure can't expect them to abstract to the next level and think about how they'd like the other drivers on the road to behave if it was them on the ambulance or watching their house burn down. Idiocracy.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We get the call to disregard.

Every Single Time I ran LAS, you could count the number of stupid people, and worse, the ones who deliberately blocked us. I always hoped we were going to their house for someone they cared about.

I considered that, but they drove a loooong way, past numerous fire stations. And I can't think of a call that would justify passing on the inside shoulder at 80mph right against a concrete wall. It helps no one to cause an accident on an interstate to get to a destination. This was not stop and go traffic, in fact it wasn't all that heavy if I recall correctly.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I considered that, but they drove a loooong way, past numerous fire stations. And I can't think of a call that would justify passing on the inside shoulder at 80mph right against a concrete wall. It helps no one to cause an accident on an interstate to get to a destination. This was not stop and go traffic, in fact it wasn't all that heavy if I recall correctly.
    Doc, just turn up the Metallica, and jam out. You'll be skidding around corners, laying 11's at stop lights, reving at people to show the power! You've just got to lose yourself in the moment! That's all these guys were doing...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doc, just turn up the Metallica, and jam out. You'll be skidding around corners, laying 11's at stop lights, reving at people to show the power! You've just got to lose yourself in the moment! That's all these guys were doing...

And many of them carry.....:dunno:

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Until the cost of craniorectalectomies comes down....

34ewa6u.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I love the people that pull up behind you, ride your bumper, and flash their lights to get you to go faster even though you are all stuck in heavy traffic. Either a remarkable lack of situational awareness or they are honestly not smart enough to realize you can't go faster than the car in front of you.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    When I worked in downtown Bloomington, this was an every day occurrence. The city saw fit to narrow Walnut Street between 2nd and 3rd. Instead of 3 or 4 lanes, it is 2 lanes most of the way. At least twice a day an ambulance was hindered by traffic because there was no room for the cars to get out of the way or people were unwilling to enter an intersection to get out of the way. You would think the City of Bloomington would have learned it's lesson when it had to widen 2nd street near Patterson Drive after the calming devices it installed caused the same concerns with emergency vehicles being stalled by traffic but nope.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I love the people that pull up behind you, ride your bumper, and flash their lights to get you to go faster even though you are all stuck in heavy traffic. Either a remarkable lack of situational awareness or they are honestly not smart enough to realize you can't go faster than the car in front of you.

That is when I let off of the accelerator and start driving even slower.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I worked in downtown Bloomington, this was an every day occurrence. The city saw fit to narrow Walnut Street between 2nd and 3rd. Instead of 3 or 4 lanes, it is 2 lanes most of the way. At least twice a day an ambulance was hindered by traffic because there was no room for the cars to get out of the way or people were unwilling to enter an intersection to get out of the way. You would think the City of Bloomington would have learned it's lesson when it had to widen 2nd street near Patterson Drive after the calming devices it installed caused the same concerns with emergency vehicles being stalled by traffic but nope.

Calming devices? Is that a college town thing? Like a "safe space zone" or something?

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Calming devices? Is that a college town thing? Like a "safe space zone" or something?

Kind of what Bloomington is using now:

7b2b58b4b3ed159a5bd6628c70d1383a_XL.jpg

It is supposed to slow down traffic but one they installed impeded ambulances on the way to the hospital due to the fact that there was no where for traffic to pull to the side to let the ambulance pass by.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Kind of what Bloomington is using now:

View attachment 46266

It is supposed to slow down traffic but one they installed impeded ambulances on the way to the hospital due to the fact that there was no where for traffic to pull to the side to let the ambulance pass by.

Makes you wonder how much forethought they really put into some of these things, doesn't it? Like the "bike lanes" they put in here in Indy. Didn't make any of the streets wider to actually add a lane. They just painted a stripe and some arrows and made the "car lane" narrower. :n00b:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Oh, I'm not saying they weren't being stupid, but it does happen. I probably drove a couple thousand miles LAS over the years in an urban environment and never had or caused an accident, but it took extreme defensiveness and situational awareness.

I lost two coworkers due to other people being stupid when the big box with the flashy lights caused them to do stupid stuff.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Makes you wonder how much forethought they really put into some of these things, doesn't it? Like the "bike lanes" they put in here in Indy. Didn't make any of the streets wider to actually add a lane. They just painted a stripe and some arrows and made the "car lane" narrower. :n00b:

Same thing here. They also added green sections at the stoplights on some streets. All of those bikes you passed get to ride to the front of the line again so you get to pass them again.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i was on 20 bypass around south bend, i had sand in the back of my truck and could hear it hitting my rear window going 60 in a 65 so people could get around me, had this stupid person come flying up behind me and ride my bumper there was no one with in 1/4 mile of us so i let off the gas and let it slow down to 35 mph before they pass me, then they just kinda set be side me as i get back to 60. i drove semi for 2 yrs so ive seen a few things in my travels

Top Bottom