• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I grabbed some pictures this morning after the second coating. Sorry for the grainy quality, but my phone doesn't like the mildly dark settings...
    I am trying to decide how far I want to take this. The finish is dark enough for my taste, but the grain pores haven't been completely filled. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it looking retro and keep the pores open, or spend the time to fill them.
    IMAGE_179.jpg

IMAGE_180.jpg

IMAGE_181.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I grabbed some pictures this morning after the second coating. Sorry for the grainy quality, but my phone doesn't like the mildly dark settings...
    I am trying to decide how far I want to take this. The finish is dark enough for my taste, but the grain pores haven't been completely filled. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it looking retro and keep the pores open, or spend the time to fill them.

That looks great! FWIW, I think what made mine unlikeable for me was that I completely filled the grain. It got too glossy and when I tried to cut the gloss by using 0000 steel wool, it knocked some of the gloss off but made the wood so smooth that it was almost slippery. With a little sweat on a hot day, I imagine it will be slippery.

Are you planning on shooting this or is more of a collector piece? My original finish was a mixture of turpentine, BLO and beeswax. I am not sure at this point if it was the mixture or residual oils from the wood prior to the beeswax recipe, but out in the sun, it turned wet. That was why I spent last summer leeching the oil out of it and decided to use a synthetic finish.

I think I will strip that off this Winter since I don't like it. But whatever I put on, I want to be sure it stays solid shooting out in the hot sun.:)

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    That looks great! FWIW, I think what made mine unlikeable for me was that I completely filled the grain. It got too glossy and when I tried to cut the gloss by using 0000 steel wool, it knocked some of the gloss off but made the wood so smooth that it was almost slippery. With a little sweat on a hot day, I imagine it will be slippery.

Are you planning on shooting this or is more of a collector piece? My original finish was a mixture of turpentine, BLO and beeswax. I am not sure at this point if it was the mixture or residual oils from the wood prior to the beeswax recipe, but out in the sun, it turned wet. That was why I spent last summer leeching the oil out of it and decided to use a synthetic finish.

I think I will strip that off this Winter since I don't like it. But whatever I put on, I want to be sure it stays solid shooting out in the hot sun.:)

This is definitely going to be a shooter. I've been reading that if BLO gets pretty warm, it will sweat a bit, but this can be mitigated by using a hard furniture wax on top of it. The more I look at it, the more I think I'm going to keep the grain open.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It looks amazing! If it were mine I'd stop right there. I have done several stocks with BLO. I never mixed anything with it. That combo looks darker? I like it! I have a AK to finish. I might try your mix. I'll probably have a few questions when I get that far (if you don't mind)

Keep up the excellent work! Would you consider moving this thread over to the Gunsmithing forum at some point?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    It looks amazing! If it were mine I'd stop right there. I have done several stocks with BLO. I never mixed anything with it. That combo looks darker? I like it! I have a AK to finish. I might try your mix. I'll probably have a few questions when I get that far (if you don't mind)

Keep up the excellent work! Would you consider moving this thread over to the Gunsmithing forum at some point?

It is a little darker for a couple reasons. The piece of english walnut I am using is dark to start out with, then on top of that, the stain has alkanet root in it which in person adds a very deep color to it. If you are going to be in the Fort Wayne area, I can just give you some of the stuff I made up. I have 2 more rifles to do and plenty to go around. At the time I started this, I don't believe the gunsmithing forum had been created. When it is done, I will request it be moved.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It is a little darker for a couple reasons. The piece of english walnut I am using is dark to start out with, then on top of that, the stain has alkanet root in it which in person adds a very deep color to it. If you are going to be in the Fort Wayne area, I can just give you some of the stuff I made up. I have 2 more rifles to do and plenty to go around. At the time I started this, I don't believe the gunsmithing forum had been created. When it is done, I will request it be moved.

I do get to Fort Wayne once in a while. I appreciate the offer and might just take you up on that! Thank you!

This thread is an excellent one! Your build is inspiring for sure!

maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Midget....... My son in law has started building M14's and has me geting interested in building at least 1 for now. Do you have any info on where I could start looking for parts???

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I'm not real familiar with m14/m1a's. I know a couple people who have built them off of fulton armory receivers and I know they sell a large amount of parts for the rifles.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    That color and how it brings out the grain is gorgeous! The back of that stock looks amazing!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Time for another small update. With the exception of a couple touch up spots, the stock is completely finished:
    IMAGE_185.jpg

IMAGE_187.jpg

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I will have a range report in a week or two. Need to get some ammo around and get the barrel properly broken in :)

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Thanks guys!

i honestly haven't been keeping track of the total build cost. I have an idea of what the parts cost me, but I didn't pay anywhere near market value for quite a few things. I was also lucky enough to buy most of the parts before this last years massive run on m1 garand stuff. If I had to guess, I have around 1400-1500 into it. But like I said, I got a lot of the parts well below market price back before things became scarce, right now it would probably cost over 2k. The only part that isn't original gi issue is the stock.

Top Bottom