• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    here for bit I have been thinking about getting one of the really short 12 ga that's being made thought id get some input on them before I did put the money into one. are they worth the money? are they even worth bothering with ? whats your thoughts on this

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If it has a stock, and a barrel less than 18 inch's you cant... its still illegal, although likely to change this year.

If its never had a stock, its a 5 dollar AOW stamp.

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    you know the ones that hold 3 rounds the pump 12 ga I think Remington made one and some othe co. did to I know theres a tax stamp to get aow I think is what there classed as duse that help and I am glad that Indiana is working on making the short shot guns legal again

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    This is the Serbu: Serbu Firearms

supershorty.jpg

It was my understanding that this can be legally owned in Indiana as an AOW, with appropriate ATF tax stamp, since it doesn't fall under the definition of a sawed-off shotgun.

These are carefully made to follow the goofy legal definition of what makes it an AOW as opposed to a short-barreled shotgun which would be illegal in Indiana under the sawed-off shotgun statute.

But someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding this fine-lined distinction. I guess I'm also unclear on Indiana's statute. What if a shotgun is not actually sawed-off but rather was made at the shorter length to begin with? I haven't read the actual statute but I'm guessing that the name "sawed-off" and the actual definition are not the same.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have had a Super Shorty for a couple years. It is an amazing amount of fun. Everyone who shoots it is impressed. I load buckshot and slugs for it. Love the muzzle flash and noise.

Used it with shot when we were shooting clays. You could break them if you got on them fast.

Totally recommend it.

Don

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This is the Serbu: Serbu Firearms

View attachment 35418

It was my understanding that this can be legally owned in Indiana as an AOW, with appropriate ATF tax stamp, since it doesn't fall under the definition of a sawed-off shotgun.

These are carefully made to follow the goofy legal definition of what makes it an AOW as opposed to a short-barreled shotgun which would be illegal in Indiana under the sawed-off shotgun statute.

But someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding this fine-lined distinction. I guess I'm also unclear on Indiana's statute. What if a shotgun is not actually sawed-off but rather was made at the shorter length to begin with? I haven't read the actual statute but I'm guessing that the name "sawed-off" and the actual definition are not the same.

An AOW can be a shotgun with a pistol grip and barrel shorter than 18". It cannot have a stock. If you have a shotgun receiver that has never been assembled with a stock on it, it can be made into an AOW. If it has, then it can be made into an SBS (but until that bill passes, you cannot possess and SBS in Indiana).

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Beowulf,

So I'm not clear. Is the Serbu Super-Shorty an AOW or a SBS or a sawed-off shotgun or ??? I was under the impression that the Serbu can be legal in Indiana with an AOW tax stamp.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Beowulf,

So I'm not clear. Is the Serbu Super-Shorty an AOW or a SBS or a sawed-off shotgun or ??? I was under the impression that the Serbu can be legal in Indiana with an AOW tax stamp.

The Serbu's are made from never-before assembled Remington or Mossberg receivers. Because of that and because they have a pistol grip, they are AOWs and not SBSs. Thus, they are legal in Indiana.

If you decided to take your own personal Remington 870 and cut it down to look exactly the same, it would be an SBS, because it had been assembled with a stock.

It's a really stupid distinction, but that's the Federal government for you.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Beowulf,

According to federal law the Serbu Super-Shorty is a smooth bore pistol which falls under the AOW category. Under Indiana Law it is classified as a handgun.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    That's what I thought, but I wasn't clear from what had been written earlier. Thanks for clarifying. By the way, I think the Super-Shorty is cool, I'd like to have one but it seems overpriced to me.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    I think the Super-Shorty is cool, I'd like to have one but it seems overpriced to me.
    Remember that manufacturing an AOW is a $200 tax stamp. The $5 AOW stamp is only for subsequent transfers. So, you have to factor that $200 into the cost of the Serbu, plus all the other work they do.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    An AOW can be a shotgun with a pistol grip and barrel shorter than 18". It cannot have a stock. If you have a shotgun receiver that has never been assembled with a stock on it, it can be made into an AOW. If it has, then it can be made into an SBS (but until that bill passes, you cannot possess and SBS in Indiana).
    sidetrack. what happens if someone moved into this state from another where sbs is legal.what would happen then?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    sidetrack. what happens if someone moved into this state from another where sbs is legal.what would happen then?
    You can live in Indiana, but the gun can not. You can continue to own the gun but would need to secure it out of state in a proper and legal fashion.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I guess I just never payed that much attention to this part of the laws, never really had an itch for a SBS, or AOW. If I am understanding this right, one could purchase one of the Mossberg shotguns that are sold sans stock, as a PGO shotgun, and (after filing the proper forms, and paying for the stamp) put a sub 18" barrel on it to make an AOW?

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I guess I just never payed that much attention to this part of the laws, never really had an itch for a SBS, or AOW. If I am understanding this right, one could purchase one of the Mossberg shotguns that are sold sans stock, as a PGO shotgun, and (after filing the proper forms, and paying for the stamp) put a sub 18" barrel on it to make an AOW?

That would be correct, pay your $200 to 'make' your AOW and when you get a stamp, you can put a <18" barrel on your PGO shotgun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    That would be correct, pay your $200 to 'make' your AOW and when you get a stamp, you can put a <18" barrel on your PGO shotgun.
    Good to know. Though, I have a pistol grip to put on a regular shotgun, with 18" barrel, and honestly, I dont know why anyone would want something any lighter/smaller. The full size is a real bear to hold onto when firing it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    All in favor of ridding ourselves of dumb laws, like the SBS law. It was created out of 'whole cloth' in the first place for a problem that didn't exist. Just like automatic knife laws. The "Ooooo, only 'hoodlums' own sawed-off shotguns and switchblades!" silliness. More libtard lunacy, obviously.

That said, never found any particular use for a shotgun with a barrel shorter than, say 18". The 'advantage' of one has been way overblown by Hollywood. And pretty sure everyone knows that a 12 ga. shotgun is much better controlled when shouldered, or even with the shoulder stock tucked under the arm.

However, absolutely I can't deny the 'fun' and 'cool' factors in such shotguns. For those that are drawn to shotguns with that appeal, that alone is enough reason to fight to see the SBS law finally changed (back).

I'll likely never find any reason to own one, myself. But, if 'you' wanna own one, I'm willing to fight for that. :yesway:

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    Good to know. Though, I have a pistol grip to put on a regular shotgun, with 18" barrel, and honestly, I dont know why anyone would want something any lighter/smaller. The full size is a real bear to hold onto when firing it.
    my apartment is too small to use a 18" barrel. i would cut the barrel down to mag tube

Top Bottom