• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are an outlier. Very few people are only driving 2000 miles per year, EV or otherwise.
    When I had to go into the office I put on maybe 18K miles per year among all vehicles. We stay around home mostly. I work from home now. So no daily commute.

I put few enough miles on my truck that I only change the oil once per year just to have new oil in it. One vehicle is more for fun, so that doesn't get driven as much. We put maybe 5K miles per year on the daily driver. And only that much because we live ~10 miles from every reason we have to drive.

Still I think we drive our cars far less than the average. So yeah, I think 2000 miles per year is an outlier. But if everything were much closer to us, we might come close to that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It doesn't take a large battery to be a problem.

I store my e-bike battery in the house because of the temperature extremes in the garage. I am concerned about such things. I've thought about getting something to contain it. I don't think that's practical.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Seriously, if battery is preheated before charging, it accepts charge fine.

Here’s my stats from a home trickle last night in the cold. 79% efficiency (which is lowest I’ve ever had in past 5 winters)
    IMG_3723.jpeg

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Seriously, if battery is preheated before charging, it accepts charge fine.

Here’s my stats from a home trickle last night in the cold. 79% efficiency (which is lowest I’ve ever had in past 5 winters)
    View attachment 327227
    I'm curious to see how the battery is in 10 years after daily use and charging in these temps. Something tells me it won't be like an ICE vehicle, still going strong...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I store my e-bike battery in the house because of the temperature extremes in the garage. I am concerned about such things. I've thought about getting something to contain it. I don't think that's practical.
    How about that fire blanket they were talking about earlier?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Several companies offer lithium ion charging bags. Like a soft-sided cooler but explosion/fire proof. I store RC and my motorcycle battery in one

Several companies offer lithium ion charging bags. Like a soft-sided cooler but explosion/fire proof. I store RC and my motorcycle battery in one.
    We bought a fire proof bag for storing cash inside a fireproof gun safe. Just to be on the safe side…..

It was less than $30.00, maybe that could work for an e bike battery?? Not sure what it’s made of.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yep, funny their Union BS is undoing their EV charger wet dream…

“Marlo Lewis, senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, told the DCNF that federal regulations pertaining to the specific parameters of the installation sites must be met before the projects can be finished, adding on bureaucratic red tape. Additionally, the government’s insistence on dedicating resources to certain constituencies that would bolster the current administration’s election prospects has created limits on procuring those assets.”

“This is a central planning snarl-up,” Lewis told the DCNF. “The subsidies exceed the scale of market demand. States complain of inflexible requirements regarding how far apart charging stations must be, how many charge ports must be built per station, and how many must be located in disadvantaged communities. In addition, central planning and politics are joined at the hip, so workforces must be certified by unions, and materials such as iron and steel must be sourced from American companies.”

“The EV charger rollout carries a number of restrictions, stalling progress on their installation.”

Top Bottom