• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That is to replace lost road tax, not to equip fire departments to deal with situations that only apply to EV’s.
    I pay a lot more with that tax than I would have with the gas tax. I drive about 2000 miles a year. With my old ICE car I would have paid somewhere around $12.40 in tax.
    2000 miles
    25 MPG
    =80 gallons
    Gas tax is $.155/gallon
    =$12.40

If I used the highest it has been recently, Aug 2022 $.294, I would have paid $23.52

Instead I pay $221.
    At $.155 per gallon that is 1425.81 gallons worth of tax.

There is plenty of extra tax there to buy your gadgets.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I pay a lot more with that tax than I would have with the gas tax. I drive about 2000 miles a year. With my old ICE car I would have paid somewhere around $12.40 in tax.
    2000 miles
    25 MPG
    =80 gallons
    Gas tax is $.155/gallon
    =$12.40

If I used the highest it has been recently, Aug 2022 $.294, I would have paid $23.52

Instead I pay $221.

I don’t know where you got your tax numbers but Indiana taxes are as follows
    about 74 cents of what you pay for every gallon at the pump is because of taxes. Federal taxes account for about 18 cents, with 56 cents coming from the state. More than half of that is a fixed price – the state gasoline tax, currently set at 33 cents per gallon.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don’t know where you got your tax numbers but Indiana taxes are as follows
    The Indiana Website.
    Statutory calculation of gasoline use tax rate The rate is defined by IC 6-2.5-3.5-15 as the product of: 1. the statewide average retail price per gallon of gasoline (excluding the Indiana gasoline tax, the federal gasoline tax, the Indiana gasoline use tax, and the Indiana gross retail tax (if any)); multiplied by 2. seven percent (7%) 3. then rounded to the nearest one-tenth of one cent ($0.001)

But let's use your number. That takes me up to$59.20. Remove the Federal part and it drops to $44.80

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    2000 miles
    25 MPG
    =80 gallons
    Gas tax is $.155/gallon
    =$12.40

Instead I pay $221.

I don’t think your tax numbers work. Then you are using an example that is 12,000 below the national average of mileage.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am using what I actually drive. Why do I care about a national average?
    First off we are discussing a government entity providing specialized equipment for specific vehicles. The EV tax should be based on comparable vehicles in weight and size for the average number of miles driven. If one drives less as you it sucks, if one drives more they get a deal. That is how a lot of things work.

The tax on 80 gallons is $58.32.

INDIANAPOLIS — June 19, 2023

The Indiana state government announced Monday that the gasoline use tax for Hoosiers and visitors passing through the “Crossroads of America” who buy gas will climb to 20.5 cents per gallon starting July 1.

With these changes, Indiana drivers will be paying a combined state and federal tax of 72.9 cents per gallon for gasoline, effective from July 1, 2023.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    First off we are discussing a government entity providing specialized equipment for specific vehicles. The EV tax should be based on comparable vehicles in weight and size for the average number of miles driven. If one drives less as you it sucks, if one drives more they get a deal. That is how a lot of things work.

The tax on 80 gallons is $58.32.

INDIANAPOLIS — June 19, 2023

The Indiana state government announced Monday that the gasoline use tax for Hoosiers and visitors passing through the “Crossroads of America” who buy gas will climb to 20.5 cents per gallon starting July 1.

With these changes, Indiana drivers will be paying a combined state and federal tax of 72.9 cents per gallon for gasoline, effective from July 1, 2023.

You mean like providing special lanes for bikes?

ldh452

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2021
    Since I tend to have this view too, my response would be it’s mileage dependent. People who live in rural areas when they have to drive they drive more miles than folks who live in town. At least it’s true in our case.
    With my driving needs, I might go a couple hundred miles or more and finding a place to charge might be a challenge.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have been watching the mess in chicago where a charging station ended up full of Teslas being towed because the battery's were dead. With the cold temps the battery's were not taking a charge as they should and many of the chargers were malfunctioning also because of the frigid temps...
    I find this especially interesting because today I read the biden administration is going to spend $1,400,000.00 installing EV charging stations in an impoverished area in Alaska. Article said the county only had about 2,000 residents a large number of them indigenous people. I don't know but would guess that would build more chargers than there are EV's in Alaska. At least it will help the local economy to construct the stations. Then again when the locals tear out the chargers and sell the copper. Jim.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have been watching the mess in chicago where a charging station ended up full of Teslas being towed because the battery's were dead. With the cold temps the battery's were not taking a charge as they should and many of the chargers were malfunctioning also because of the frigid temps...
    I wonder how much battery life and range has now been lost in all those cars. Batteries don't respond well to over discharging and if the electrolyte froze, some of the cells could have swelled or been damaged. It'll be interesting how many of these spontaneously go *POOF* weeks & months down the road.

If I owned one of them, I'd be headed directly to a dealer for service/inspection.

I find this especially interesting because today I read the biden administration is going to spend $1,400,000.00 installing EV charging stations in an impoverished area in Alaska. Article said the county only had about 2,000 residents a large number of them indigenous people. I don't know but would guess that would build more chargers than there are EV's in Alaska. At least it will help the local economy to construct the stations. Then again when the locals tear out the chargers and sell the copper. Jim.
    Our tax dollars at work, just another bridge to nowhere.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The truck market is pretty stodgy, even if a majority of people just use them like they use cars. I think the people an electric truck would appeal to is a different person than the ones that buy gas/diesel.

There was a surprising amount of interest on them at the prices they were originally announced at. It appealed to a lot of folks who weren't interested in a Rivian or the like specifically because it does look like a normal F-150 at casual glance and prices weren't prohibitive. Then the MSRP went bonkers with a roughly $20k base model increase. Demand dropped off a cliff. Ford can either lower the price like Tesla or throw in the towel and keep making more profitable options. They went for #2, apparently.

Personally, I wish they'd stuck with the performance hybrid options that were supposed to be an option by 2025 instead of the pure EV play. The hybrid Ranger Raptor was supposed to be dual drive train and insane HP for a midsize truck. I want to say 500-ish or so? Instead they are doing a mild plug-in hybrid and for foreign markets only, kind of like the Jeep 4XE. :(

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    2000 miles
    25 MPG
    =80 gallons
    Gas tax is $.155/gallon
    =$12.40

Instead I pay $221.

You are an outlier. Very few people are only driving 2000 miles per year, EV or otherwise.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There was a surprising amount of interest on them at the prices they were originally announced at. It appealed to a lot of folks who weren't interested in a Rivian or the like specifically because it does look like a normal F-150 at casual glance and prices weren't prohibitive. Then the MSRP went bonkers with a roughly $20k base model increase. Demand dropped off a cliff. Ford can either lower the price like Tesla or throw in the towel and keep making more profitable options. They went for #2, apparently.

Personally, I wish they'd stuck with the performance hybrid options that were supposed to be an option by 2025 instead of the pure EV play. The hybrid Ranger Raptor was supposed to be dual drive train and insane HP for a midsize truck. I want to say 500-ish or so? Instead they are doing a mild plug-in hybrid and for foreign markets only, kind of like the Jeep 4XE. :(
    At least they can make a profit with the hybrids.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    For that price they’ll get at least an 8-10 stall V3 supercharger station. Locals will charge at home, and tourists using the scenic highways and byways will have a quick charge to continue their journey. Similar to Veedersburg, IN supercharger (pop 2.1k) & Haubstadt, IN (pop 1.6k).
    1705710104079.jpeg

Top Bottom