• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's the same thing. By forcing mfgrs to be held to impossible CAFE standards is de-facto coercion.

You think the auto mfgrs would be doing this if not for the (CAFE) stick the .gov is using against them?

And by Kalifornia & a half dozen states banning ICE vehicles by some arbitrary date isn't "forcing"?
    They also forget that the government bailed out GM, (stands for government motors) and whatever they call that Fiat group. The government has additional leverage over them…

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yep. It also tells me there is a good chance the driver is a liberal moron :thumbsup:

"Driving a Tesla does not send the message that you care about global warming or the environment. It tells people you're a special kind of wealthy and trendy, just as many luxury cars always have."

I like feeling special.;)

flat look.jpg

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Camera, Corvette, etc
    The Camaro (as we know it - it will be an EV or hybrid and will be a Camaro in name only) is gone after '24. The Dodges are going away, and the Corvette will be a hybrid then full electric, whether we like it or not. They are not being discontinued due to low demand - hell look at the prices the last Challengers and Z06's are bringing in over MSRP, they're going electric and I know many auto enthusiasts that will not buy them (corvetteforum members already mourning for the 'vette). And with the dismal sales of EV's that only spells doom for the car companies and customers.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I wish I could get the same government subsidy for a new truck or Jeep. I am not anti EV, I just don’t see them doing what i need them to do and not leaving me stranded, and broke. If I could get an EV that I could afford, and I thought would last 10-15 years li,e my other vehicles would, I would buy one, but I just don’t see that. Probably someday they will,work, just not this year.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    You could drive a Honda Civic for 20 years cheaper than owning a Tesla 5 years.
    I would have to do the math but they are in different vehicle segments. The cheapest Tesla is the model 3 and it's most similar to the accord which is a lot more expensive than the civic.

You should be comparing it to the accord in that regard. Tesla's next gen car will likely be in the same vehicle segment as the civic.

Regarding your comparison it's pretty hard to gauge that seeing as Tesla has not even been manufacturing vehicles for 20 years but if you only base it on average maintenance costs here is what I can find....
    This is what I found on costs of repairs for a civic...5 years

Touring 2021 Civic: $24,019.00 (you can get cheaper models)
    Maintenance: 4,664
    Repairs: 1,470
    Gas/fuel: $5142

Multiply all that out by 4 despite the numbers would get exponentially higher over 20 years....

Touring 2021 Civic: $24,019.00 (you can get cheaper models)

Maintenance: 18,656
    Repairs: 5,880
    Gas/fuel: $20,568
    Total: 69123 (seems high) let's cut the maintenance costs in half and see
    Total w/ maintenance costs cut in half: 59795

I'm estimating fuel at $3 a gallon, 35 miles to the gallon, 12,000 miles a year, that's pretty generous on the mpg I think. Also assuming fuel doesn't increase in price in 20 years (it does by a lot)

A reference point: https://caredge.com/tesla/model-3/maintenance
    Tesla Model 3 cost (current): 38,990
    Federal Tax Credit : -7500
    Maintenance / Repairs: 10 year: 3,587 (This seems low to me, a full set of tires is about $1,000) lets double it, then double it again.
    Maintenance doubled (10 years): $7174
    Fuel / Energy cost (10 years): $6,600

I used 12,000 miles a year, 240 miles / 60 KwH battery (I underrated vs the rated range) that's about 4 miles per kwh of energy. 11 cents per kwh.

20 year figures

Tesla Model 3 cost (current): 38,990
    Federal Tax Credit : -7500
    Maintenance / Repairs: 20 year: 3,587 (This seems low to me, a full set of tires is about $1,000) lets double it, then double it again.
    Maintenance doubled (10 years): $14348
    Fuel / Energy cost (20 years): $13,200
    Total cost 20 years: $59038

Wild that they came out almost identical. This is all hypothetical and I reduced some of the numbers on the civic and increased some of the costs on the model 3, but I will disagree with your statement about the total cost of ownership.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    For someone who has owned so many EVs and is pretty active in this thread, you seem to have missed some major news on the subject, including in the passenger car and commercial vehicle space.

If you aren't aware of the wave of government mandates for EVs, you may want to spend some time looking into it before claiming there are no mandates.

You linked several posts to CA. I was under the impression that we live in Indiana. Do you go through a background check to buy ammo? Do you see that happening inevitably? You have to use the same logic across all laws if you're going to paint the California brush on all topics.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    The problem, as I see it, is the government propping up EV adoption by subsidizing them with the $7500 tax credit. That just rocks the capitalist in me. It also is a tacit admission that, on their own merits and beyond the early adopters, EVs cannot compete with ICE cars. Maybe some day, but not yet. Imo.
    Government subsidizes the hell out of gasoline. They also gave many billions in free money to GM & chrysler for a bailout that was never repaid.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I think the biggest point that's being overlooked is the ability to eventually get off the oil reliance on the middle east.

The USA is certainly not an oil rich country compared the the ME. We will absolutely run out of oil / gasoline if we're only using our own supply in a short period of time, therefore the middle east have us by the you know what.

Wouldn't you rather not be reliant on ANYONE for your own energy needs? I am certainly working towards moving out and away and being self reliant. I will not rely on city power, city water, city sewage, or gasoline to survive. If SHTF and everything went down gas stations wouldn't be refueled.

I have always been one that doesn't want to rely on someone else or the government to take care of me and working towards renewable energy / self reliance is always great in my opinion.

Too often I think people are quick to relate EVs to Liberals or Democrats when in reality getting off gasoline ends up cutting off a reliance with the middle east which is in our best interest.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Government subsidizes the hell out of gasoline. They also gave many billions in free money to GM & chrysler for a bailout that was never repaid.
    Thanks for the non sequiter. I've purchased several cars in my lifetime, new and used, and no government has ever bribed me to do so, as it does purchasers of EVs. Oh, and I'm paying an extra 73 cents a gallon to the government for their subsidized gasoline. Could be worse: FIPs are paying 85 cents a gallon.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It doesn't make it factual.
    How are EV sales if the full $7,500 subsidy is removed?

Hell, look at what Ford had to tell their suppliers about next year's Lightening production forecast...

I'm fine with EVs, just don't manipulate the market and try and shove them down the masses throats...

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I think the biggest point that's being overlooked is the ability to eventually get off the oil reliance on the middle east.

The USA is certainly not an oil rich country compared the the ME. We will absolutely run out of oil / gasoline if we're only using our own supply in a short period of time, therefore the middle east have us by the you know what.

Wouldn't you rather not be reliant on ANYONE for your own energy needs? I am certainly working towards moving out and away and being self reliant. I will not rely on city power, city water, city sewage, or gasoline to survive. If SHTF and everything went down gas stations wouldn't be refueled.

I have always been one that doesn't want to rely on someone else or the government to take care of me and working towards renewable energy / self reliance is always great in my opinion.

Too often I think people are quick to relate EVs to Liberals or Democrats when in reality getting off gasoline ends up cutting off a reliance with the middle east which is in our best interest.
    The USA is an incredibly oil rich country. What have you been reading that told you otherwise? Just an incredible statement to make. I’m all for EV’s, if the free market can sell them. Take away subsidies and credits, they all fail, except for maybe a few boutique models of higher priced cars. I wish they were practical for 90% of us, but they are not. And we have a lot, a huge amount of oil.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    First, I will repost what you wrote above to point out the massive attempt you just made to move the goal posts.

The government doesn't dictate what manufactures decide to build.
    Whether we're talking about mandates from California, or federal mandates (also contained in the links I posted) the mandates do exist. That would make you what's known as, wrong.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll indulge you by addressing your comment below because I work in this space so it's what I do all day anyway.

You linked several posts to CA. I was under the impression that we live in Indiana. Do you go through a background check to buy ammo? Do you see that happening inevitably? You have to use the same logic across all laws if you're going to paint the California brush on all topics.
    The ammo law is an apples and oranges comparison and completely irrelevant.

Vehicle manufacturers must invest billions of dollars to develop products that can be sold in California based on these emissions regulations and vehicle mandates. They don't have the resources or capital to have two completely different sets of product offerings, so they have to choose to either abandon sales in California or meet CA regs (via much more expensive vehicles) and sell the same products in less stringent states. Given the sales volumes, no vehicle OEM has yet told CA to shove it. So as CA goes, the rest of the country goes.

Whether Indiana mandates a certain percentage of EVs or not is irrelevant. If that's all the vehicle OEMs can afford to make, that's all that will be available. California's plan literally depends on this dynamic. They've essentially taken the rest of the nation hostage with these mandates, and the Biden regime cheers them on.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Do you have a laptop? Cell phone? Cordless power tools? Do you sleep in the house with them charging overnight? Those are all lithium ion batteries with the same strengths and weaknesses.

For the record, my car is outside the garage. That is not because of any fear it will catch on fire though. It is simply because we are slobs and I can't get it into the garage with all of the stuff in there.

No dog in this fight, but I am not hearing of fire departments having a hard time extinguishing the fire from a cordless drill or phone. The scale is much different

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The government doesn't dictate what manufactures decide to build.
    Whoa. I think you’re gonna feel a little flushed in the face if you ever bother to fact check that one. :):

I mean. You probably shouldn’t. Continuing on believing that might help stave off the sure self esteem hit you’re gonna take. I mean that’s probably on par with saying the government doesn’t regulate guns.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    How are EV sales if the full $7,500 subsidy is removed?

Hell, look at what Ford had to tell their suppliers about next year's Lightening production forecast...

I'm fine with EVs, just don't manipulate the market and try and shove them down the masses throats...
    Yessiree. Unlike Soviet Russia, Cuba and North Korea, we should let the free market sort this out. Human ingenuity being what it is when properly motivated, I have no doubt that some day, there will be viable alternatives to dead-dino powered transportation. Maybe storage batteries, hydrogen or something else. But, even the biggest batteries-included automobile zealot must admit that in no respect is the USA ready for 100% battery-powered vehicles. Not even 50% at this point. I think that is where the pushback from many skeptics originates. They bristle at the government supporting with their tax dollars an infant industry that, let's face it, isn't ready to succeed on its own.

Top Bottom