• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    The bad news is that lovers of Tesla's so-called Full Self Driving mode will have their less-than-full-self-driving mode become even less full-self-driving.

FSD really is something separate from Electric Vehicles. It is all software and the only thing it has in common with EVs is that Tesla is the one pioneering / pushing it forward. I would not pay for this software and I don't.

Their basic "autopilot" is essentially a highway lane assist that keeps you in the lane, relative speed, and keeps you from colliding with another vehicle in front of you and this is included at no extra charge.

"FSD" on the other hand costs anywhere from $5000 to $15000 depending on when you paid for it and is certainly not worth anywhere close to that in my opinion. It still has a long way to go and frankly I don't ever see it being fool proof unless there's some other variable that's missing right now. Despite that it's still probably safer than a lot of drivers around here on the south side of Indianapolis, woof. This isn't even a joke. I'd rather have a driverless FSD car be driving along in the city than some of the maniacs around here.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I'll sometimes play with cruise and lane keeping in my ICE vehicle when I'm on a gently curvy road, all by myself. But I must admit that my foot is poised above the brake pedal and my hands are inches from the steering wheel. I also must admit that seeing and feeling the car steer itself always puts a big smile on my face.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have and old friend that bought into the hype and purchased a Chevy SUV EV.
    He told me the other day that the car doesn't come with a spare tire. He inquired why and was told it adds extra weight and reduces range. :scratch:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He told me the other day that the car doesn't come with a spare tire. He inquired why and was told it adds extra weight and reduces range. :scratch:
    Unless something has changed, I believe that if sold by a dealer, they're required to include a spare tire.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Unless something has changed, I believe that if sold by a dealer, they're required to include a spare tire.
    My son bought a new gas powered Malibu this year. It did not come with a spare either.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 (GIF Image)

Sounds like going to a gun store for facts on guns. :rofl:

My last four cars haven't had a spare. They leave them off of more performance based models to save on weight.

EVs have the added issue of no space to put one. My other three cars had wheel wells for one, just no tire in there. One had a subwoofer in it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 (GIF Image)

Sounds like going to a gun store for facts on guns. :rofl:

My last four cars haven't had a spare. They leave them off of more performance based models to save on weight.

EVs have the added issue of no space to put one. My other three cars had wheel wells for one, just no tire in there. One had a subwoofer in it.
    Well, I'm not all that surprised that I'm wrong. :): But I would never buy a car that didn't come with a spare, much less one that didn't have room for one. That's just stupid IMHO. :nuts:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I guess if you had a flat in your performance car, you can sit on the side of the road revving your engine and looking cool until help arrives. :n00b:
    Let's see. Once I used the fix-a-flat and inflator I got instead. The other time I had to get towed. I somehow survived those two incidents in 10 years.
    Well, I'm not all that surprised that I'm wrong. :): But I would never buy a car that didn't come with a spare, much less one that didn't have room for one. That's just stupid IMHO. :nuts:
    Good for you.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Extra cost more likely. I don't know any EVs that come with a spare. I think you can buy them as an add on. Maybe some do but none of the Teslas do. I think Rivian you have to purchase a spare at checkout. Whoever told your friend that a spare tire would reduce range is an idiot btw.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I guess if you had a flat in your performance car, you can sit on the side of the road revving your engine and looking cool until help arrives. :n00b:
    Or maybe just maintain the car, drive carefully and attentively to not get flats. No high performance car has a spare tire. Heck, the tire on a Corvette would fill your dads back in the day Caddy trunk They are so big… :lmfao:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Or maybe just maintain the car, drive carefully and attentively to not get flats. No high performance car has a spare tire. Heck, the tire on a Corvette would fill your dads back in the day Caddy trunk They are so big… :lmfao:
    Yeah, but you never know when some bicyclist is going to inadvertently knock some of the invisible glass or nails out of the bike lane and into the traffic lane. :stickpoke:

Top Bottom